Nightmist Tools

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
56 replies to this topic

#31 Shadic

Shadic
  • Members
  • 83 posts

Posted 25 March 2005 - 02:08 AM

If you make it, it works, and is updated enough to stay somewhat current, I'll like this program to use as a reference, seeing as I still haven't relearned the game after quitting awhile ago. *Cough*Istillhaventreallybotheredwiththesewers*Cough*

Anyways, is an archive of information on a game THAT unique of an idea? I'm honestly suprised somebody didn't do one before you, Jurian.

I say, let him do his work.

#32 Xlithan

Xlithan

Discord Moderator

• Members
  • 1050 posts

Posted 25 March 2005 - 02:17 AM

people have done it, they're just on websites. a VB application with information is hardly any different only it runs on windows rather than a website.

There is absolutely no need to make a war over this. I'm doing it for my own benefit really. and who cares where i get the information from? As long as it's presented so people can use it, who cares?

#33 Momba

Momba
  • Members
  • 670 posts

Posted 25 March 2005 - 07:26 AM

Zelimos if you are doing this for your own benifit then by all means make it. I am sure a large majority of the NM players will love you for it in the event that it actually works. But please don't be another Jurian. Don't make thread after thread after thread about the dang thing. Just do it ~ (Generic Nike stripe...lol)

We don't need to know the progress of the project. Suprise us with something wonderful.
My inner child is a mean little f*ucker

#34 Angelus

Angelus
  • Members
  • 1202 posts

Posted 27 March 2005 - 04:58 PM

Funny stealing your idea jurian. I do believe that if you check the old forums I made one prior to yours just never released it. Not to mention you got the idea of making one after i stopped doing mine.

Anyways the way jurian's is coded and i do believe zelimos' will be the same is by putting all the info directly into the source code instead of using easy to handle databases. Which will make it a lot of work.

My last one was totally finished tho, plus it'didnt need any updates ever. It just had databases within the same folder that anyone could add new info too and release them again. And it would show up on the prog that simply linked to it all...

aah being on NM 24/7...good times...good times..

not.
Angelus ingame.
Back into the shadows once again...

#35 banana rejection

banana rejection
  • Members
  • 113 posts

Posted 27 March 2005 - 09:26 PM

lol.. i'm finding these topics very funny to take up my time and read...

Seeing as i'm sad and have nowt better to do..

#36 Xlithan

Xlithan

Discord Moderator

• Members
  • 1050 posts

Posted 31 March 2005 - 08:27 AM

no database, but we all start somewhere eh? I'll probably look around for some tutorials on databases, and do that as i think it's a great idea, and time saving.

I'm having trouble working out a good way to do the weapon listings. My initial idea was to be able to double click the list box, and bring up a dialog with a picture, and info about the item.

The problem is, after you click an option button the data in the list box changes, so how do you tell the list box to show different information for the same item in the listbox depending on what option buttons you have enabled? lol.

I thought about making a seperate list box for each option button, but that's just silly ^_^

Edited by Zelimos, 31 March 2005 - 08:33 AM.

#37 Gèñúíñê Õút£ãw

Gèñúíñê Õút£ãw
  • Members
  • 84 posts

Posted 31 March 2005 - 02:50 PM

Do us all a favor and put on the start up screen, DO NOT SHARE
To all the people ive offended, Yeah f*** you to. To all the friends I used to have, Yo! I miss my past, But the rest of you assholes can kiss my a**

#38 Matt

Matt
  • Members
  • 146 posts

Posted 31 March 2005 - 02:53 PM

^_^

Well that was terribly random.
"Faith; noun. Belief without evidence in what is told by one who speaks without knowledge, of things without parallel." --- Ambrose Bierce

#39 Xlithan

Xlithan

Discord Moderator

• Members
  • 1050 posts

Posted 31 March 2005 - 05:09 PM

^_^

Well that was terribly random.

but a good idea.

#40 Pandilex

Pandilex

Administrator

• Admin
  • 568 posts

Posted 31 March 2005 - 05:25 PM

The difference between an application and a website is that adding to the website gives everyone access to the new information, whereas an application needs to be updated.
Unless you use a database and download the latest updates from the internet...
If you build it, they will come.

#41 Xlithan

Xlithan

Discord Moderator

• Members
  • 1050 posts

Posted 31 March 2005 - 06:32 PM

The difference between an application and a website is that adding to the website gives everyone access to the new information, whereas an application needs to be updated.
Unless you use a database and download the latest updates from the internet...

correct, but in terms of presenting the data to the user, it has a similar effect. Both the owner of a website and an application must update the data manually, as information, source code, and data does not add itself ^_^

check out http://www.nevetsweb.com for more useless new applications by me.

#42 Pandilex

Pandilex

Administrator

• Admin
  • 568 posts

Posted 31 March 2005 - 06:41 PM

I think the two are very different. One works offline.

#43 Xlithan

Xlithan

Discord Moderator

• Members
  • 1050 posts

Posted 01 April 2005 - 08:30 AM

Simon, read my post... lol

Anyway, somebody from 'visualbasicforum.com' helped me to solve the issue i was having with weapons. I think Jurian did the same thing with his weapon listing, although i will be changing/adding to the source s/he posted, so that you can double click a weapon, and a window appears with a picture of the weapon, and information about it.

Here's a new screenshot of the weapons information:

Posted Image

Edited by Zelimos, 01 April 2005 - 11:33 AM.

#44 Pandilex

Pandilex

Administrator

• Admin
  • 568 posts

Posted 01 April 2005 - 05:33 PM

mmmmmm look at that hard-coded goodness!

You should make a database and a program for adding new items to it. Much faster.

#45 Xlithan

Xlithan

Discord Moderator

• Members
  • 1050 posts

Posted 01 April 2005 - 06:55 PM

mmmmmm look at that hard-coded goodness!

You should make a database and a program for adding new items to it. Much faster.

that's what Angelus said, but incase you hadn't notice Mr. Genius, this will be the largest program i've done in Visual Basic.
if you want a data-base so badly, get me on MSN (email in profile) and give me a few tips on that kinda shiznizzle. ^_^

Doesn't take much for me to get a good grasp, so once i've got the hand of data-base dumping etc. I could probably make a damn good helper.

Edited by Zelimos, 01 April 2005 - 06:56 PM.

#46 Pandilex

Pandilex

Administrator

• Admin
  • 568 posts

Posted 01 April 2005 - 09:15 PM

that's what Angelus said, but incase you hadn't notice Mr. Genius, this will be the largest program i've done in Visual Basic.

Correct, it will be, if you have to hard code every single item like that. Thousands of lines of code.

Unfortunately I've forgotten how to program in Visual Basic so I can't really help you much. I could blunder through it, but the language isn't very nice.

It would definately be faster for you to learn how to write using a database and then use it to create your application than it would to hand write everything.

#47 Steam

Steam
  • Members
  • 395 posts

Posted 02 April 2005 - 05:35 PM

Simon, read my post... lol

Anyway, somebody from 'visualbasicforum.com' helped me to solve the issue i was having with weapons. I think Jurian did the same thing with his weapon listing, although i will be changing/adding to the source s/he posted, so that you can double click a weapon, and a window appears with a picture of the weapon, and information about it.

Here's a new screenshot of the weapons information:

Posted Image

^_^ :P how many forms you going to open up at the same time??
Mckay: I passed out from manly hunger

http://www.youtube.com/steam56

#48 TheNobleOne

TheNobleOne
  • Members
  • 74 posts

Posted 02 April 2005 - 07:01 PM

acutally there is only one form there the others are custom dialog boxes.

#49 Steam

Steam
  • Members
  • 395 posts

Posted 03 April 2005 - 11:34 AM

acutally there is only one form there the others are custom dialog boxes.

^_^

#50 Sean

Sean
  • Members
  • 976 posts

Posted 03 April 2005 - 11:54 AM

haha
Stadic Ingame...

#51 Xlithan

Xlithan

Discord Moderator

• Members
  • 1050 posts

Posted 03 April 2005 - 12:27 PM

in total there are 5 forms.

Splash, Main, Helper, Item picture, Item library. the data in the text captions on the form changes, and there images in the picture dialog are visible depending on the item you're viewing.

#52 Steam

Steam
  • Members
  • 395 posts

Posted 04 April 2005 - 10:00 AM

Why not just use 3? SPlash, main and one final form for displaying the info and picture of items?

such as

Posted Image

Edited by Steam, 04 April 2005 - 10:10 AM.

#53 Xlithan

Xlithan

Discord Moderator

• Members
  • 1050 posts

Posted 04 April 2005 - 01:36 PM

that was the initial idea. Once i get it finished i'll get some feedback and change whatever needs changing

#54 Pandilex

Pandilex

Administrator

• Admin
  • 568 posts

Posted 04 April 2005 - 03:04 PM

Posted Image

#55 Xlithan

Xlithan

Discord Moderator

• Members
  • 1050 posts

Posted 04 April 2005 - 03:09 PM

think im gunna be sick ^_^ thankfully that isn't the actual client lol

#56 Merix

Merix
  • Members
  • 120 posts

Posted 24 March 2006 - 09:30 PM

soz for bumping old topic but i remember it saying somewhere that this prog WILL actualy be finished

Soooo uh any news on this prog yet? lol

oh im steam by the way ;)
Merix IG

#57 Stotic

Stotic
  • Members
  • 530 posts

Posted 25 March 2006 - 12:36 AM

Just another unfinished project for him to throw on the board.
We'll douse ourselves in gasoline and hang our bodies from the lampposts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users