• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#1 Raylen

Raylen

Your #1 fan!

• Members
  • 2329 posts

Posted 28 April 2006 - 09:18 AM

Ok. It's about time something was done about this. Basically, the way pics are displayed pretty much determines the outcome of an alt fight. Like today, dev jumped me on spelled up (I assume) invis thieves when I was training, and therefore half out of stam. Now you'd assume I'd end up dead, but no! I had cleverly abused the picture system to ensure my alts were pretty much all at the bottom, and I was able to beat him down.

You can pay me 1 mil gold for info on how to "abuse" the picture system (it isn't actually abuse lol)

However, I'd really quite like to see fair fights. So how about instead of making it so the character pics go in the first available slot, make it so they have a random position between 1 and some arbitrary large number. Should make things more interestingat any rate ;)
+1 post count ggpwnedkthxbai

it's plausible that the SOB hasn't spawned

¯¨:·»Gently spamming the forum since 2003«·:¨¯

#2 Gangster

Gangster
  • Members
  • 217 posts

Posted 28 April 2006 - 09:36 AM

Yes I agree here, I also know how to work that trick but its too much effort. I also remember a suggestion where your own alt pics could be hidden to you only? I guesse that got shot down or couldn't be implemented but I like your idea to try and even things up :-)
»*¤ ßêg Før Mêrçı ¤*«

#3 Raylen

Raylen

Your #1 fan!

• Members
  • 2329 posts

Posted 28 April 2006 - 10:27 AM

Yeah the old idea was Will's idea where your own alts' pics disappear. But I think that would be kinda trickyish to do...this idea is fairly simple and would work well.

#4 Ryuku

Ryuku

Ryuku Ingame, Best 3v3er ever

• Members
  • 2003 posts

Posted 28 April 2006 - 11:39 AM

Number 1-1m, selected at random, if number is already selected, choose another, coding would be simple enough.

I know how to abuse pic system, not worth the effort.

#5 .?.

.?.
  • Members
  • 1210 posts

Posted 28 April 2006 - 02:53 PM

Yea supported...didn't like poppin out and all my crits at the top..tried to scroll but was too late.

Should of took the rangers! :wub: ;)
Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for You are with me.

#6 Prophet

Prophet
  • Members
  • 1772 posts

Posted 28 April 2006 - 05:53 PM

Yea why not just make an option to make your party members "invisible" on your screen.
Si Senior!

#7 JLH

JLH

Administrator

• Admin
  • 1771 posts

Posted 29 April 2006 - 12:39 AM

the order they appear on is dependent upon the connection number you have on the server, randomizing it would not be practical, as everytime you look around or something it wouldn't change.
Anything i post on here is subject to change at any time without notification to the board.

#8 Wind

Wind

Kevbear <3

• Members
  • 1021 posts

Posted 29 April 2006 - 12:52 AM

the order they appear on is dependent upon the connection number you have on the server, randomizing it would not be practical, as everytime you look around or something it wouldn't change.

Code it all different, I am sure the JLH can code it abit better ;)
Cry me a river!

Character Name: Wind on both servers!

#9 Raylen

Raylen

Your #1 fan!

• Members
  • 2329 posts

Posted 29 April 2006 - 07:52 AM

Forgive me for not knowing exactly how nm works, but surely:

Each crit has a different connection number I assume. Just make it so that every character has a new variable "picNumber" or whatever assigned to it when it connects, which is a random number between 0 and 1,000 (or higher).

Then instead of using the connection number to decide where pics go, use the picNumber.

#10 Prophet

Prophet
  • Members
  • 1772 posts

Posted 29 April 2006 - 09:18 AM

Or go with the Hide/Display Party members option, that way all you'd need to do is tell the client that the party members are "invisible", although they won't be invisible to everyone else.
Si Senior!

#11 Snoopy

Snoopy

Teh Housewifes

• Members
  • 1318 posts

Posted 29 April 2006 - 10:31 PM

yea i agree most people use macroes any how so being able to tollge seing your alts would be a benifit, and no real loss?
If smoking 1 cig takes 30 seconds from my life, but laughing adds 5 minutes, if I get stoned every night do I live forever?

#12 Wind

Wind

Kevbear <3

• Members
  • 1021 posts

Posted 30 April 2006 - 01:06 AM

yea i agree most people use macroes any how so being able to tollge seing your alts would be a benifit, and no real loss?

Yeh, I would like to see it toggleable, even tho I would only use it if i want out pking ;)
Cry me a river!

Character Name: Wind on both servers!

#13 Ryuku

Ryuku

Ryuku Ingame, Best 3v3er ever

• Members
  • 2003 posts

Posted 30 April 2006 - 05:09 AM

Simple coding, you can see the alt you're on, but not the rest.

Example.
In Blaste window, I will see myself and the Crystal Templar, but not my alt.

On Sick (my alt) when I switch to his window, I will see myself (Sick) and crystal templar, but not Blaste

Now that you have an example how it would be coded, put your famous noted and do it :x

Edited by Ryuku, 30 April 2006 - 05:09 AM.

#14 JLH

JLH

Administrator

• Admin
  • 1771 posts

Posted 30 April 2006 - 09:27 PM

more support needed for the "show no alts" option
Anything i post on here is subject to change at any time without notification to the board.

#15 alone

alone
  • Members
  • 2261 posts

Posted 30 April 2006 - 09:34 PM

I'm completely against it.

- Player 1 is out training, and after years of playing, his style requires him to view all his characters (it's just how he does it).
- Player 2 is out PKing, as he's only PKing, he chooses to hide his alts from his view.
- When Player 2 comes across Player 1, Player 1 is swamped with new pictures, and has a lot of trouble defending himself. Whereas Player 2 can click on up to 7 different spots, and still hit an enemy.

System I'd suggest would always put your characters at the bottom of your screen.
Someone walks onto your grid, they're at the top. On their screen, you're at the top. Can't say fairer than that, surely? Everyone then has an equal chance.
"Entertain yourself with my nightmares."
- AfterAll

Bunny!

#16 Snoopy

Snoopy

Teh Housewifes

• Members
  • 1318 posts

Posted 30 April 2006 - 09:47 PM

that would work too - if your alts are always at the bottom.

Its just at the moment nearly all battles are decided purely on when and how you log on in ralation to the other person
If smoking 1 cig takes 30 seconds from my life, but laughing adds 5 minutes, if I get stoned every night do I live forever?

#17 Boys Night Out

Boys Night Out
  • Members
  • 1059 posts

Posted 30 April 2006 - 09:55 PM

./t alone. Most people nowadays use macro's to heal their alts and thats the only thing they need to do when training. Their own pictures are irrelevant...

But yeh, i'm supporting both alones suggestion and the main suggestion.

Having my alts at the bottom will help if it's always like that.

but being toggle-able would just be as good i suppose.
Tread lightly, as you tread on my dreams...

Hansol ingame

#18 alone

alone
  • Members
  • 2261 posts

Posted 30 April 2006 - 09:56 PM

I'm just against giving PKers a greater chance against others than they already do.
- AfterAll

Bunny!

#19 Prophet

Prophet
  • Members
  • 1772 posts

Posted 30 April 2006 - 10:59 PM

Simple coding, you can see the alt you're on, but not the rest.

Example.
In Blaste window, I will see myself and the Crystal Templar, but not my alt.

On Sick (my alt) when I switch to his window, I will see myself (Sick) and crystal templar, but not Blaste

Now that you have an example how it would be coded, put your famous noted and do it :x

No, its got to be hide all otherwise as you flick through your crits will appear at different orders in the list for instance:
Alt 1 Screen order: You Enemy Enemy Enemy
Alt 2 Screen order: Enemy You Enemy Enemy

You click on the first enemy down on your first alt then when you scroll to next alt you then have to move your cursor to stop you attacking yourself lol.

I'm just against giving PKers a greater chance against others than they already do.

Most Pkers, will either have you macroed, or will be at the bottom as they logged on after you.

This would being able to fight back as you could then just go straight to attacking rather than having to scroll down and the start attacking only to discover your already in the tavern.

This would directly benefit those trainers who when they get jumped would then be able to attack straight away if they have stam.

Edited by Prophet, 30 April 2006 - 11:01 PM.

Si Senior!

#20 alone

alone
  • Members
  • 2261 posts

Posted 30 April 2006 - 11:06 PM

Most Pkers, will either have you macroed, or will be at the bottom as they logged on after you.

This would being able to fight back as you could then just go straight to attacking rather than having to scroll down and the start attacking only to discover your already in the tavern.

This would directly benefit those trainers who when they get jumped would then be able to attack straight away if they have stam.

Totally lost me there. "This would being able to fight back"..

And what would directly benefit trainers? Well, both ideas would benefit trainers, just mine wouldn't give an advantage to PKers.
- AfterAll

Bunny!

#21 MysticStorm

MysticStorm
  • Members
  • 492 posts

Posted 30 April 2006 - 11:31 PM

I completely support the alts being shown to self toggable. I don't see it as a real advantage for pk'ers considering it would give those that are constantly having to scroll against those that know how to abuse the pic system more of a chance. And I'm tired of my screens going haywire when I have to scroll against sudden pop up pk'ers. I'd actually not run from anyone if this was implemented.

Edited by MysticStorm, 01 May 2006 - 01:35 AM.

#22 Raylen

Raylen

Your #1 fan!

• Members
  • 2329 posts

Posted 30 April 2006 - 11:33 PM

I am essentially in support of any option that changes it from the way it is now ;)

#23 alone

alone
  • Members
  • 2261 posts

Posted 30 April 2006 - 11:47 PM

I completely support the alts being shown to self toggable. I don't see it as a real advantage for pk'ers considering it would give those that are constantly having to scroll against those that know how to abuse the pic system more of a change. And I'm tired of my screens going haywire when I have to scroll against sudden pop up pk'ers. I'd actually not run from anyone if this was implemented.

Reason against the toggling idea is that it may give some players who find it easy to use, an advantage over players who're set in their ways.

My suggestion would allow each player to have an equal chance, as they're playing off the same system, Monsters, Other players, Yourself.

If you follow my ramblings..
- AfterAll

Bunny!

#24 MysticStorm

MysticStorm
  • Members
  • 492 posts

Posted 01 May 2006 - 01:40 AM

Hey, I'm set in the ways of being able to see all my alts on every screen. But if this gives me a better chance at pk'ers.. I'll change my ways real fricken quick. But as someone said.. your pics are pretty much useless outside of healing. You can toggle all your crits away but leave them shown on your cleric or druid. Otherwise, there is no need for the other pics. Only way I can see it being fair is to create a seperate space for those that are not your alts. But that would mean expanding the windows and that's just not any good.

#25 Wolfgang

Wolfgang
  • Members
  • 386 posts

Posted 01 May 2006 - 04:29 AM

I'd like to see it so that your characters were only at the bottom of the screen, simply because everybody would benefit. I'm just not sure how possible that would be...

I, however, would not like to see a game where you could hide your characters. Like alone said:

- Player 1 is out training, and after years of playing, his style requires him to view all his characters (it's just how he does it).
- Player 2 is out PKing, as he's only PKing, he chooses to hide his alts from his view.
- When Player 2 comes across Player 1, Player 1 is swamped with new pictures, and has a lot of trouble defending himself. Whereas Player 2 can click on up to 7 different spots, and still hit an enemy.

I don't see how you're gaining the ability to fight back.

Someone comes across you, and they randomly click at several places, and hit you pretty much every time, simply because their chance is greater.

With the current system, they still have to look at the pictures (or even just the names), and look at: "oh. This person isn't me! *click*".
That one second less hesitation can make a huge difference. I know that I, personally, am almost never on more than 2 alts at a time, so when I come across a huge party, I don't have much of a chance to win if I choose to stay and fight, and if I choose to run/log, that second in which they might hesitate before hovering and clicking on my name/picture can mean a world of difference.

Edited by Wolfgang, 01 May 2006 - 04:35 AM.

What the what?

#26 Prophet

Prophet
  • Members
  • 1772 posts

Posted 01 May 2006 - 11:47 AM

As it currently is if you get attacked, your crits will be at the top, as the other person will have logged on after you to come pk you.

Therefore, when he comes and attacks you you can get totally annihalated as you have to not only combat with it being a surprise attack, and have to place spells and such on to yourself but then you also have to scroll down the pictures at the side to be able to see your enemy.

At least this way, you will be able to attack back straight away against your attacker as he will appear on your screen if your hiding your own alts.

It is not a benefit to the pker either, as his crits are already at the bottom so he already has the benefit of him being able to attack your crits while you can't attack his.

Your idea would work also, except for if you were training with someone else. Being able to toggle your crits would also get rid of alot of lag.

Edited by Prophet, 01 May 2006 - 11:50 AM.

Si Senior!

#27 Wolfgang

Wolfgang
  • Members
  • 386 posts

Posted 01 May 2006 - 06:42 PM

As it currently is if you get attacked, your crits will be at the top, as the other person will have logged on after you to come pk you.

I think your logic is somewhat flawed...

Who's to say that he's logged on after I have?

And even if he has logged on after me, its not always the case. If someone with a number below me (which would make them display above me) has logged off (which theres always a good chance of), whoever is logging on to PK could easily be assigned the number (or any of the numbers) that would make his pic display above mine.

The way I understand this is umm... well, for example:
#1: Wolfgang
#2: Seiken
#3: PKer a

"PKer b" Has just logged on"

the list would become
#1: Wolfgang
#4: PKer b

But lets say a character logs off...
#1: (unoccupied)

if PKer c were to log on, they'd take the place unoccupied place (#1), before they took number 5.
So it would become
#1: PKer c
#2: Sieken

Now, if tehre were only 4 characters, that would be easy enough to figure out. But, put it on as large a scale as nightmist is, with people not knowing which spot they're in, in addition to the fact that people are constantly logging on and off

What the what?

#28 Jigsaw

Jigsaw
  • Members
  • 151 posts

Posted 01 May 2006 - 08:36 PM

Just randomise it.

#29 alone

alone
  • Members
  • 2261 posts

Posted 01 May 2006 - 08:45 PM

- AfterAll

Bunny!

#30 Jigsaw

Jigsaw
  • Members
  • 151 posts

Posted 01 May 2006 - 08:51 PM

My bad... leave it how it is then. ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users