A 1 Alt Day

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#1 Stigmata

Stigmata
  • Members
  • 671 posts

Posted 25 September 2004 - 09:52 PM

Personally I think it would be interesting to limit everyone to 1 alt for a day, to see how things would work out.

If it were added I could imagine more people wanting to venture outside of town to pk or whatever without the fear of being clicked by 20 alts. Would be a much more challenging way of going out hunting for pks, or killing bosses etc....

For changing equip over - a special type of square where alts can be logged on but more than 1 crit cannot leave the square.
Ste - Pengant - Stigmata

#2 Sneaky

Sneaky
  • Members
  • 2372 posts

Posted 25 September 2004 - 09:58 PM

Coolest idea I've ever heard... but I think to make it have more of an effect, you'd need more changes- you'd need more than 14 pots or mana to be able to survive.

Making a 1-alt week would be a better idea imo, because if its 1-alt day no one would bother with killing a boss, and doing most day to day things they would do. Putting it as week would make people realize what the game would be like with one alt a bit better.

Even if you totally crap on my suggestions, I think the idea is great. Major props for suggestin somethin so awesome.
Chuck Norris wears Jack Bauer pajamas.

deimos the noob said no

#3 Stigmata

Stigmata
  • Members
  • 671 posts

Posted 25 September 2004 - 10:01 PM

Yeah your probably right about the pots or mana - simple suggestion = double the effectiveness of each type for the duration of the day/week whatever.

As for a week - i'd prefer it yeah lol, but most won't (probably) which brings complaints, which in turn wastes JLH's time - I suggested a day as opposed to a week as it would be nice to just test the system out, and if it goes well then there should be no reason why they can't extend the period.
Ste - Pengant - Stigmata

#4 alone

alone
  • Members
  • 2261 posts

Posted 25 September 2004 - 10:44 PM

NM Vault would be fine for exchanging equipment :P

I love the idea, it'd be great fun.

Concerning the pot problem; Are bags still on the ToDo list?!
"Entertain yourself with my nightmares."
- AfterAll

Bunny!

#5 Payne

Payne
  • Members
  • 816 posts

Posted 26 September 2004 - 12:53 AM

Flame Time- Idea Sucks :P
Astinus on 1alt Only

#6 snizzlesnaps

snizzlesnaps
  • Members
  • 244 posts

Posted 26 September 2004 - 01:03 AM

i like the idea would make the game a bit more interesting to see how itd be if each person only had 1 alt

#7 deadman

deadman
  • Members
  • 2395 posts

Posted 26 September 2004 - 01:04 AM

i agree with rob idea sucks
Contact Unforgiven on 1a.

#8 Crane

Crane

"Teh Gareth!"

• Members
  • 4091 posts

Posted 26 September 2004 - 02:09 AM

I like this idea, less lag for one reason. Personally, I find training certain classes solo quite enjoyable, much more than an alt party.

Though not a negative point, the classes that would be used the most on such a day, I feel, would be Pacifists, Paladins and Druids, and maybe Mages and Clerics too; the reason being that they are very self-sufficient classes and suited for soloing.
The Crane Temple Chairman

Main crits:
Crane
Europa

Don't kill the messenger mathematician!

#9 Squee

Squee

Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1810 posts

Posted 26 September 2004 - 02:37 AM

Mages are good for soloing as long as you stay within a 20 square radius of an Inn.

As much as I would love to see this, I doubt we'll see this happen (which I find an absolute tragedy). The simple reason being that this would mean players would be significantly weaker. The majority of Nightmist revolves around, not just being better but being MUCH better than everybody else. In the current Nightmist system, the only way to surpass someone statistically is to have an alt army (also a tragedy).

I guess I'm just trying to praise this idea while at the same time being realistic. People don't want to give up their armies and are too lazy to learn how to efficiently work together as a team/party.
Posted Image

#10 .?.

.?.
  • Members
  • 1210 posts

Posted 26 September 2004 - 06:30 AM

Sounds good, but u would need to half monster HP or some thing, with one crit it would be hard to take a sand spider or sand spider out, even a boss, ud need a whole clan and maybe friends, but its only for 1 day so its all good

:P
Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for You are with me.

#11 jurian

jurian

YAY! Less Lag!

• Members
  • 1505 posts

Posted 26 September 2004 - 08:45 AM

works for me for a day WOOT WOOT! never thought i would say that eh :P
Even in death my hate will go on

#12 Exodia

Exodia

Birr

• Members
  • 2265 posts

Posted 26 September 2004 - 08:58 AM

/nod rob, this idea sucks, go play one of those 1 alt games instead
Primex ingame

#13 jurian

jurian

YAY! Less Lag!

• Members
  • 1505 posts

Posted 26 September 2004 - 09:32 AM

i'll be just using a zerker with a cobalt to be able to run and train for a while withouth having to eat pots every second :P

#14 Stigmata

Stigmata
  • Members
  • 671 posts

Posted 26 September 2004 - 12:50 PM

So the idea sucks huh - why?

If your gonna post saying an idea sucks it would be useful to post your reasons behind it. But I'd bet you don't have any besides that you wouldn't be able to stand the fact that you'd most definately get yourselves owned.

Thanks to the people who actually had something constructive to say - I'd have agreed with you on the boss monsters part, but thinking about it why should their hp be reduced? They are boss monsters, their hp is their hp and it shouldn't be lowered to cater for the players, it should be there as a challenge......and if it can't be killed easily then thats a good thing imo.
As for each classes being used more than others - Yeah that'd probably happen, but i'd imagine there would still be use for a team of thieves, an army of fighters or a mixture of them all.

The problem with nightmist today is that everything is catered for....the bosses, the areas are all a definate victory for the players....you KNOW when you go to the general/cg/wurm etc that you are not going to die and that the special item is probably going to fall right into your inventory. There is never the concern of dying, just how many alts to take to make it a quick and easy kill, it's never a challenge and its starting to get extremely boring....

I'm suggesting this idea as a change from the norm, something to allow those that want to the chance to use just 1 alt for the day to experiment with teaming up, pking and doing what they don't get the chance to do any other time.

If some of you are going to complain about not getting to use your mass of alts for a day then you're extremely sad and selfish - Personally I can't see why you wouldn't welcome a bit of variety in the game....
Ste - Pengant - Stigmata

#15 Rappy_Ninja

Rappy_Ninja
  • Members
  • 2923 posts

Posted 26 September 2004 - 02:18 PM

supported

Edited by Rappy_Ninja, 26 September 2004 - 02:18 PM.

Page/Memo Beatrix

#16 Vodka

Vodka
  • Members
  • 553 posts

Posted 26 September 2004 - 02:31 PM

I use one alt nearly every day.. :P

If this were to happen, I'd think it'd be more than a day? Not everyone is able to log on just on one picked day out of the week to try it out.

The ones who disagree with this idea are the ones who run nearly those 20 alts, lol.
When you do something right nobody remembers, but when you do something wrong nobody forgets.

Hump in game.

#17 Julius

Julius
  • Members
  • 643 posts

Posted 26 September 2004 - 02:48 PM

I can see a day being ok. though a week would be too much, cant train effectively and it would just end up being a waste of time. What would be really sweet to see is a 1 alt day, with a quest.

I am one of those people that run 10+ alts, and I think it isn't that bad of an idea, just not a long term thing, or else it would waste all of the hard time it took to train multiple characters up. So yea, try it for a day or so, but I hope it never comes to being a requirement to always be limited to one alt.

Edited by Julius, 26 September 2004 - 02:51 PM.

Julius/Juls main
Julius 1 alt

#18 Stigmata

Stigmata
  • Members
  • 671 posts

Posted 26 September 2004 - 03:26 PM

Yeah everyone knows that this nightmist version can never be 1 alt permanently - it just isn't built for it.....

A weekend may be the best bet, with some of you saying a day would be too short and a week definately too long.

And good idea with the quest - That'd definately be worth using 1 alt, and would also give those with limited alts a chance to get the reward.
Ste - Pengant - Stigmata

#19 Animosity

Animosity
  • Members
  • 367 posts

Posted 26 September 2004 - 05:27 PM

NM Vault would be fine for exchanging equipment :P

I love the idea, it'd be great fun.

Concerning the pot problem; Are bags still on the ToDo list?!

nm vault or in clan houses for those who have one.
ÄñïMö§íTÝ owns you.gg owned thx k bai.
Posted Image

#20 trigger happy

trigger happy
  • Members
  • 398 posts

Posted 26 September 2004 - 05:28 PM

supported..i think the weekend and quest for a day is the best solution.

i am a believer that a alt perm limit of like 4-6 should be put in...would still be able to use alts...and still be able to take on any boss...but then the bosses would be harder and be hard like their ment to and wouldnt be able to be taken down by just 1-2ppl...

but i dont believe 1alt perm is a good solution..but for a day or weekend is a awsome idea..

#21 Momba

Momba
  • Members
  • 670 posts

Posted 26 September 2004 - 05:41 PM

Supported.

But not on a weekend day. Many players only play on the weekend and use the time to train mass alts.
My inner child is a mean little f*ucker

#22 alone

alone
  • Members
  • 2261 posts

Posted 26 September 2004 - 05:51 PM

But not on a weekend day. Many players only play on the weekend and use the time to train mass alts.

That's why it's best - Get everyone involved (pissed off), rather than just the few who log on during the day GMT, on a week day.
- AfterAll

Bunny!

#23 Vër§íðñ 1.0

Vër§íðñ 1.0
  • Members
  • 391 posts

Posted 26 September 2004 - 07:36 PM

siwwy people, nightmist is a game to see who has the most/highest level crits. :P
I only log on to check memos, and rare chat. See you all on the other side.

#24 Wafer

Wafer
  • Members
  • 81 posts

Posted 27 September 2004 - 09:16 AM

NM is a multi-alt game. You joined a multi-alt game, no one forced you. Its why I play the game as it is 1 of the few multi-alt games around and definately the best.

You want to play with 1 alt, go join a 1 alt game.

Why do people have such a problem with this concept?

That said a 1 alt day might be fun for variety.

:P

#25 jurian

jurian

YAY! Less Lag!

• Members
  • 1505 posts

Posted 27 September 2004 - 09:56 AM

wafer alts take away whatever skill there was in the game so i can c his point.

don't get me wrong i'm like the godfather of multi alt usage and if i can't use alts i won't play but he does have a point :P so a 1 alt day would work for me.

#26 alone

alone
  • Members
  • 2261 posts

Posted 27 September 2004 - 10:04 AM

As I believe, Stotic, brought up before;

When you say 1-alt, that actually implies 1 alternative character, along with your first choice of character (two characters logged on).

Is that what you're after? Or are you going for a 1 character weekend?
- AfterAll

Bunny!

#27 Stigmata

Stigmata
  • Members
  • 671 posts

Posted 27 September 2004 - 10:52 AM

Definately a 1 character day, 1 alt generally means 1 crit to most people I believe, but I can see where you could get 1 character + an alt....

And wafer when I played this game originially (LONG before you probably) there was no need for alts, and to find someone on more than 1 character at a time was extremely rare.

And since when do I have a problem with this 'concept' - I was probably one of the first if not the first to use alts in a pking group/boss killing party, but your probably not old enough to remember that - I'm suggesting this idea for some variety in game, as I know alot of people including myself would love to try using 1 character. Infact i'm betting a majority of the playerbase would love to to use only 1 character, but are forced to use alts because of everyone else.

'NM is a multi-alt game. You joined a multi-alt game, no one forced you. Its why I play the game as it is 1 of the few multi-alt games around and definately the best.' - quote from wafer.....

Nightmist has NEVER been a strictly multi alt game, it was a game that turned out that way because of the people that played it. And this concept you talk about regarding alts is nothing to do with the staff or the way the game is designed to be played, infact if you ask JLH i'm sure he'd happily tell you that nightmist is supposed to be played using 1 character but has developed beyond that because of the way others play the game.........and your right no one forced me to play it, and no one forced me to help develop the game for people like you either, so get your facts straight please before you try to reply next time.

Edited by Stigmata, 27 September 2004 - 10:59 AM.

Ste - Pengant - Stigmata

#28 Wafer

Wafer
  • Members
  • 81 posts

Posted 27 September 2004 - 06:59 PM

The point I was trying to make Stigmata (believe it or not it was not to have a pop at you), was this is a multi-alt game. There are loads of 1 alt games out there so I think it would be a shame to change what is a very good alt-ernantive (boom boom! :P ).

The concept I was wondering about 'people' having a problem with, is that this is not the first thread to put forward the idea that 1 alt good, multi alt bad when frankly that is redundant on so many levels, not least that it would take a radical change in the game to gain that comparison and even then it would only be peoples opinions. Additionally I imagine it takes as much skill to run an alt army sucessfully albeit a different skill to being sucessfull on 1 alt.

That said, you will notice I did support the idea.

And I might add that my opinions are as valid as yours, so ^_^

#29 Squee

Squee

Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1810 posts

Posted 27 September 2004 - 08:23 PM

Using one character uses a completely set of different skills than using an alt-army.

I'm so tired of arguing this whole 1-alt thing. It seems like the rebuttle of the day is that "Nightmist is not a 1-alt game; get used to it or leave - there are plenty of 1-alt games so stop bothering us and play those".

That argument is so flawed... ugh.

"Nightmist is a 1-alt game; get used to it or leave - there are plenty of real time strategies out there so stop bothering us and play those."

I think if you take the whole 1-character limit and break it down into its most basic components, you get one side who want a game that requires a kind of role-playing sense (Should I help that old lady? That beggar? The antagonist?) and that want to plan out their attacks and actions much like they would in "traditional" RPGs like DnD or those classic SNES games.

Then you get the other side, the ones who want a game that requires those micro-managing skills - the people who want to play a game as if they were a general, leading their troops into battle, determined to reign over everything with an iron-fist.

I'm not going to say which group is better since it's blatenly obvious that my opinion makes no impact on this argument but I will just leave you to assume what I believe is the direction Nightmist should be headed.
Posted Image

#30 Drac

Drac
  • Members
  • 278 posts

Posted 27 September 2004 - 09:49 PM

If the game changed to 1 alt I would not care one way or the other.. Still the same game, just different rules :P

HOWEVER.. one horrible flaw~ Tremendous downsizing from everyone, items would be worth an all-time low(except for the rarest items), 4 stat and lower crits would be worth zilch, and 5-6 stats would go up in price, i think. In fewer words, the Nightmist economy would be ruined as we know it. The ONLY solution that could assist this problem is a complete reset. The wealth in this game was made with a player base that can use 15 alts at a time. To change the rules, you must also undo what was done with previous rules. In light of this fact, Nightmist will NEVER, EVER be a 1 alt game--simply because there will NEVER be a reset, as cool as it would probably be. =/
BeEp!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users