Nightmist

• Please log in to reply
141 replies to this topic

#1 Orgy

Orgy
  • Members
  • 227 posts

Posted 19 March 2011 - 09:53 AM

What would this game need right now to survive? It's far beyond dead, more so than its been in years, its sad to see it like this.
Tear ingame.

#2 Cadabra

Cadabra

(¯`·¸¸» ÇåÐàß®ä «¸¸·´¯)

• Members
  • 2361 posts

Posted 19 March 2011 - 12:43 PM

Ive always thought of making Characters have double HP.

More levels and more PoD monsters.

Double Gold.

Actice Staff... Stig cant do it alone.
Nightmist is like Pringles, once you pop you just cant stop.

#3 Stig

Stig
  • Game Staff
  • 1810 posts

Posted 19 March 2011 - 01:44 PM

I try, but admittedly it is frustrating, and I can't do anything for multi-alt. Really, all I can do is do my best with what we have.

#4 Gaddy

Gaddy
  • Advisors
  • 5234 posts

Posted 19 March 2011 - 02:31 PM

Bosses on Multi are almost always dead. I don't see how that is a dead game...active enough at least.
Is 1-Alt struggling more or....Orgy is just another whining Nightmistarian who posts garbage questions?

Seriously, Nightmist is around 5-8 GENERATIONS of video games old. It's pretty impressive that there is still a playerbase, small or large compared to 5 years ago isn't a fair comparison. It has players. Thus, JLH keeps the server up. Thus, the game is not dead.
Garbage question.
Wisdom is the principle thing. Therefore, get wisdom, and in all your getting, get understanding.
-Proverbs 4:7

#5 Apocalypto

Apocalypto
  • Members
  • 1204 posts

Posted 19 March 2011 - 03:16 PM

Garbage response.
Apocalypto

#6 Cadabra

Cadabra

(¯`·¸¸» ÇåÐàß®ä «¸¸·´¯)

• Members
  • 2361 posts

Posted 19 March 2011 - 07:21 PM

Garbage response.

Beat me too it..

Hes posted to get peoples views on what they think should be done to improve..

If Staff dont look at it then obviously its wasted time, but until then its merely a question to help the game.

The only way you can know exactly how to improve the game is to ask the players.

Gaddy:

Comparing Multi to 1-alt is just stupid... Totally different way of playing.

Half the Bosses on multi can be killed with Experts so mostly anyone can kill them.

Post should be deleted.. has nothing to do with the question.

#7 Gaddy

Gaddy
  • Advisors
  • 5234 posts

Posted 19 March 2011 - 09:12 PM

There isn't a comparison between Multi and 1-Alt. I said Multi isn't dead---players still log and kill almost all bosses frequently. That is a legitimate way of measuring Multi activity, even if it means two or three highly active players.
Then, there is a question - Is 1-Alt struggling more? I did not state any measurement factors for 1-Alt. I asked if it has "died" by 1-Alt players' standards.

That's not a comparison. At least read before you try to bash a post.
At least Apocalypto doesn't sit and try to explain things he's not catching. His response of, "Garbage response" is at least vague enough to be true. In that my response does not "help" the game. It just gives an excuse, which is fair to call garbage since it is the easy, if logical, way out.

Further, I did address the question, if you read into the answer a bit. I basically state that you will not attract a large, consistent playerbase to Nightmist because the system and design is too outdated for current free game expectations.
And with levels 31+, there is no way for new players to even come close to keeping up with the Jones'.
So you'll get the random new player here and there, but the odds of keeping them are very slim. Then getting as many new that stay as old that leave...that's not exactly fair to ask of a TEXT-BASED game.

I don't like to have to spell it out---because I know you won't read it (at least correctly) anyway.
Wisdom is the principle thing. Therefore, get wisdom, and in all your getting, get understanding.
-Proverbs 4:7

#8 Sarah

Sarah
  • Members
  • 493 posts

Posted 19 March 2011 - 09:23 PM

There is no need to berate someone who is trying to look for a way to bring people back to, lets be honest, a less than active game. Anyone that has logged on regularly in the last few months will agree that activity has rapidly fallen in the last 6 months or so (particularly on the 1-alt server--the more popular one).
Bickering on the forums is not exactly constructive. In my opinion, the reason for the lower activity is attitudes like this, that we see on the forums daily. Maybe if we all grow up a little, people will want to play with us.

But really, I think it comes down to advertisement. I agree that it would be nice if we had a few more active staff that would make things more interesting, but Nightmist will be as it is and as it has always been. We just gotta find more people that would enjoy it.

Edited by Sarah, 19 March 2011 - 09:24 PM.

Corinne in-game.

#9 Pureza

Pureza

It's 4:20, do you know where your papers are???

• Members
  • 1858 posts

Posted 19 March 2011 - 09:27 PM

Garbage response.

Beat me too it..

Hes posted to get peoples views on what they think should be done to improve..

If Staff dont look at it then obviously its wasted time, but until then its merely a question to help the game.

The only way you can know exactly how to improve the game is to ask the players.

Gaddy:

Comparing Multi to 1-alt is just stupid... Totally different way of playing.

Half the Bosses on multi can be killed with Experts so mostly anyone can kill them.

Post should be deleted.. has nothing to do with the question.

I think what we have here is a failure to communicate. Let me translate into terms you might understand.

Bosses on Multi are almost always dead. I don't see how that is a dead game...active enough at least.(The multi alt server is active enough that 90% of the bosses are consistantly dead.)"]
Is 1-Alt struggling more or....Orgy is just another whining Nightmistarian who posts garbage questions?
(Has the 1alt playerbase died off or is Orgy just another 1 alt player cryng to get nuts changed?)

Seriously, Nightmist is around 5-8 GENERATIONS of video games old. It's pretty impressive that there is still a playerbase, small or large compared to 5 years ago isn't a fair comparison. It has players. Thus, JLH keeps the server up. Thus, the game is not dead.(As old as this game it's mooseing amazing people still play it. As far behind the times as it is, I can't believe people, myself included actually play it.)
Garbage question.

If Orgy's post is directed solely a 1-alt, he needs to say so. As for the multi server, it may not be as active as it once was. But it's still active enough.
For the game to grow it would require a massive overhaul of game code and mechanics along with alot of balancing and some new staff, for both servers. JLH is either unwilling or doesn't have the time to do this.
Either way, those of us that still play, play with the knowledge that the game isn't gonna grow much, if at all. That the code will not be changed. And that's just the way it is.

p.s. /t cadabra Come jump on the main server and go do dvergar, tirantek, or soft places with some experts.

Edited by Pureza, 19 March 2011 - 09:42 PM.

Jaded ingame.

#10 Isolated

Isolated
  • Members
  • 774 posts

Posted 19 March 2011 - 09:39 PM

It's extremely sad to see you people bitching at each other, get over yourselves.

It's extremely sad to see this game like this especially in comparison to just a couple years ago.

WoW, other graphic games, the playerbase "growing up", the playerbase being unwilling to help 'newbies' out, JLH's busy life, People stealing from other people, inactive staff (should have let Rob (Yavimaya) and Ste (Stigmata) on to the staff team years ago) are what led to the demise of the game.

Edited by Isolated, 19 March 2011 - 09:41 PM.

f uck you I wont do what you tell me

#11 Gnarkill

Gnarkill

Antisocial

• Members
  • 1834 posts

Posted 19 March 2011 - 09:45 PM

The playerbase has been dropping but there has also been a few people coming back as of late that I haven't saw in ages so there is still interest in the game. There have been more people going over to multi in recent weeks aswell.

If its that big of a problem in your mind to post that we need more players .. go find some.. if each active person got 1 or 2 friends to play and helped them along till they got the hang of what theyre doing.. then the servers would take a nice influx and maybe people would start loggin again in hopes of trips/pks(if we have a larger playerbase we might be rewarded a staffer or two who knows). If we're just here to piss and moan about how dead the game is then just leave.. new players coming in or old players thinking about returns that read the forum and see a whole bunch of posts degrading the game itself for minor changes or lack of players might not stick around or return.

I log often on multi.. I'm almost always toggle loc'd but I still enjoy the game to relax and escape life for a bit and I know there are quite a few others like me. Sometimes we dont get time to log on everyday so there isn't big numbers on a server but there is still a nice mix of players logging when they get free time.

Gnarkill- Multi and 1a

#12 Cadabra

Cadabra

(¯`·¸¸» ÇåÐàß®ä «¸¸·´¯)

• Members
  • 2361 posts

Posted 19 March 2011 - 10:07 PM

Gaddy, he asked what the game would need to survive... maybe you didnt read right.

Rj, i did say half of the bosses.

To everyone else who doesnt seem to understand the question asked... go back to your hole.

Seriously... new people who read the foums and see this nuts wont play...

Sad to see an Ex Staffer flaming gg.

#13 Exor

Exor
  • Members
  • 659 posts

Posted 19 March 2011 - 10:51 PM

I think you guys left should just be happy there's still some people left who want to play the game. As others said Nightmist is pretty much crap when it comes to what new players expect from free online games in today's world.

I mean honestly this game has never been that newbie friendly, and I imagine it's worse off than ever today. And just like Gaddy said, with how much stuff the people who have played for a decade have in Nightmist right now it's going to be practically impossible for a total new comer to even come close to matching that in power. I imagine anytime a newbie is PK'd and realizes he has no way at all of fighting back he's going to just uninstall the game right then and there and who can blame him?

A game like Nightmist needs/needed ways to address the balance of power held by players as well the economy at times. A reset is one way sure, but there's plenty more creative ways this could have been done as well without a flat out reset. Such as giving newbies ways to catch up quicker. Obviously now there'd be no point in anything like a reset because it would just drive away the few remaining players who have spent years upon years building what they have. Something should have been done to address this years ago though.

The game COULD be saved, but it would take more effort than anyones willing to give. You can't have a successful online competitive game where there's no changes to address the balance and imbalances of the game, and there's barely any active staff at all. And with the game's lead developer having abandoned everything but paying the server fee then you really don't have much of a chance at all to begin with.
-Mark aka Exor aka Android_20 aka Illidan

#14 Apocalypto

Apocalypto
  • Members
  • 1204 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 12:06 AM

I still find it funny that main players think their superior... that is all...
Apocalypto

#15 Cadabra

Cadabra

(¯`·¸¸» ÇåÐàß®ä «¸¸·´¯)

• Members
  • 2361 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 12:17 PM

haha

<3

#16 Dangerous

Dangerous
  • Members
  • 498 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 07:17 PM

I only log on to PK, but theres no one to PK, so i don't log on, fun times! find a new game :P

#17 Hansol

Hansol
  • Members
  • 1039 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 08:46 PM

because people on the multi server can actually play the game and arent cocky noobs that have never amounted to anything

I find it hilarious you can page kids on 1a and they need to concentrate 100% just to use one character so it takes ages to get a simple yes/no response out of someone

but in comparison
I can use 20 crits in a difficult area/baal runs on D2/watch a movie/hold a conversation on xbox live/2 convos on msn/aim messenger
without my performance/page responses being effected at all

then some of you amateurs tried to actually act like you were on the same level of skill as me :P

and I am still waiting to duel alex 3v3 for 100m+ per duel or play him on SM to see if he can back up half of those fantasies from his overactive imagination
absolutely hilarious community you people have
/yawn

Edited by Hansol, 20 March 2011 - 08:49 PM.

#18 Freek

Freek
  • Members
  • 1200 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 10:58 PM

because people on the multi server can actually play the game and arent cocky noobs that have never amounted to anything

I find it hilarious you can page kids on 1a and they need to concentrate 100% just to use one character so it takes ages to get a simple yes/no response out of someone

but in comparison
I can use 20 crits in a difficult area/baal runs on D2/watch a movie/hold a conversation on xbox live/2 convos on msn/aim messenger
without my performance/page responses being effected at all

then some of you amateurs tried to actually act like you were on the same level of skill as me :P

and I am still waiting to duel alex 3v3 for 100m+ per duel or play him on SM to see if he can back up half of those fantasies from his overactive imagination
absolutely hilarious community you people have
/yawn

Yet your part of it.

But yeah its official, i just logged on and was the only person.. GG nightmist.
Freek ingame.

#19 Dangerous

Dangerous
  • Members
  • 498 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 11:55 PM

There are 1 characters online, (1 users).
Online users: Chaos.

Anyone notice a trend :P?

#20 PureMourning

PureMourning
  • Members
  • 610 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 12:45 AM

(should have let Rob (Yavimaya) and Ste (Stigmata) on to the staff team years ago) are what led to the demise of the game.

Wow! Its good to see I haven't completely dissipated from the memories of some fellow old school players! How's it going mang? :P

This is my first time logging into the forums since last year; however, I do browse the forums often to see what's going on (what do you expect - I grew up playing this game!).

Just a few talking points: This game is very inactive, generally and comparatively speaking. What I mean is, I agree with Gaddy in the sense that the technology and nature of the game is aged. But you have to realize, there ARE people out there who both appreciate and play these unique types of games. It would be against the forum TOS to reference by name, but there are a handful of similar games that are very healthy and have hundreds of players, and a very keen administration and staff. And I'm not talking about really old telnet MUDs, instead, whimsical and innovative games today that also highlight the true essence of a MUD.

Secondly, I agree with this:

The game COULD be saved, but it would take more effort than anyones willing to give.

The first step to truly reviving this game would be to empower an experienced, trusted, and skillful individual as an administrator. I'm not talking about someone who ONLY knows the game inside and out, who knows how to play, and someone with the imagination to write and bring to life new areas... No, I'm talking about someone else who ALSO knows how to administer a reliable staff team; someone who can exhibit respect to the player base; someone who knows how to listen well, and can reach creative solutions that accommodate the majority of the player base; and someone who understands balancing and the essence and challenges that come with true game design (prototyping, implementation, testing, mechanics (binomial distribution, stats, game economy), and someone who knows how to program.

The blame for the game's current state can't (and shouldn't) be pin-pointed to anyone or anything exclusively. Everyone is essentially right in this thread: its a spread of the administration, staff, payer-base, lack of care, direction, technology, and other untimely circumstances.

For funzies, I leave you all with 3 threads I created back in 2008 when I presented what I would do to help rejuvenate the game: My 3 "Over the Horizon" threads:
http://www.nightmist...showtopic=27821
http://www.nightmist...showtopic=27856
http://www.nightmist...showtopic=27920

- Rob
Cogito, ergo sum; I think, therefore I am.

#21 Gnarkill

Gnarkill

Antisocial

• Members
  • 1834 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 01:37 AM

The problem now is the playerbase has gone downhill so much you can't really find anyone who is trusted by the whole server(either server) to be appointed to staff anymore. There will always be bickering about the stupidest little things.. JLH said as long as people play he will keep NM up. Thats enough for me I'll enjoy it while it lasts and try to bring in a few friends who enjoy text based gaming here and there.. its always up to them if they stay or not and they usually don't due to the playerbase's in-game and forum behavior.

It kinda sounds cliche but we can all make Nightmist a far better place if we set aside bullcrap and atleast be courteous to eachother(both in-game and forum) and not sit and harass each other because of what server we play, what clan we're in, or what friends we have in game. Alot of us are guilty of it and I feel if we cut alot of the bs back those select few that are still interested in text based gaming might stick around or give Nightmist a chance.

If you simply believe Nightmist is dead/a lost cause and you're wasting your time then please by all means leave instead of dragging it through the mud on forums. For those of us who still enjoy the game maybe we can take it upon ourselves to advertise(in other games, social networking sites ect ect) and be active about it.. don't just make a page or post and let it sit.. promote it and try to get some new players..hopefully they won't get scared off right away.

I suppose I will need to clarify that this is pertaining to the whole game not just one server or the other.

Edit: I'd like to state that even though I use it often while I am busy training and I'm a big fan of it.. It might be time to get rid of the /toggle who on Multi. It was suggested to remove it long ago and I believe I was against it at the time.. but at this point it might help show people that theres actually players logged on and make the server more inviting. we can still see how many are on by typing /server or checking clan lists.. but some people don't know that and think theres only 1 or 2 people online.

Edited by Gnarkill, 21 March 2011 - 01:49 AM.

Gnarkill- Multi and 1a

#22 Pureza

Pureza

It's 4:20, do you know where your papers are???

• Members
  • 1858 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 02:39 AM

Edit: I'd like to state that even though I use it often while I am busy training and I'm a big fan of it.. It might be time to get rid of the /toggle who on Multi. It was suggested to remove it long ago and I believe I was against it at the time.. but at this point it might help show people that theres actually players logged on and make the server more inviting. we can still see how many are on by typing /server or checking clan lists.. but some people don't know that and think theres only 1 or 2 people online.

I whole-heartedly agree with that sentiment. As being one of the few players that doesn't use the /toggle who for the crits I spend the majority of my time on.

I do what I can to help new/returning players as long as they are courteous. Aside from the pages where i'm called a liar for saying there's no way to make certain bosses spawn, or a cigarette for pking, i'm more than happy to help where I can. Even in instances where I do have issues with certain players, i've shown a willingness to set those problems aside for the betterment of the game or another players account.
Jaded ingame.

#23 Isolated

Isolated
  • Members
  • 774 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 02:53 AM

(should have let Rob (Yavimaya) and Ste (Stigmata) on to the staff team years ago) are what led to the demise of the game.

Wow! Its good to see I haven't completely dissipated from the memories of some fellow old school players! How's it going mang? :wub:

:P :) :wub: :)

I didn't know you to well,: but you were an awesome dude who was never given the chance.

I loved your later account partner physically though.

<3 Corey.

I wish Maarten would put forth more effort he's awesome and actually if he tries to be an awesome staff member.

#24 Isolated

Isolated
  • Members
  • 774 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 04:47 PM

I told an old friend of mine to go play the game, give him freebies

"Kirsten" crit name.

#25 Trendkill

Trendkill
  • Members
  • 473 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 08:27 PM

SHELLA FOR STAFF!!!!!
...Añd Jústícè Fòr All

#26 Hansol

Hansol
  • Members
  • 1039 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 10:23 PM

Bring back the war section of the forum so i can claim victory over my enemies!

#27 Crane

Crane

"Teh Gareth!"

• Members
  • 4091 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 04:16 AM

SHELLA FOR STAFF!!!!!

She's been staff before - I think she resigned due to real-life commitments.

Directly, the only thing that will save Nightmist are new players, but then ask the question "how do we get new players?" - advertising is mostly done via word of mouth, and with Nightmist having little to offer over more modern MMORPGs, we're not going to get many. That's not to say it's impossible, it's just, as an RPG, Nightmist is fairly limited and could use some technical expansion.
The Crane Temple Chairman

Main crits:
Crane
Europa

Don't kill the messenger mathematician!

#28 Orgy

Orgy
  • Members
  • 227 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 05:53 AM

I did not mean for my 27 words to turn into a forum war. As many of you have stated.. I am just curious as to what change could be made to attract even a few new players, i'm up for whatever works, ill even hand out flyers :P
Tear ingame.

#29 IXThunderDomeXI

IXThunderDomeXI
  • Members
  • 586 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 06:48 PM

Make Rappy staff and i'll play again :P
Angry_Anarch/Matityahu in game.

#30 Autek

Autek
  • Members
  • 1967 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 06:54 PM

Bring Gareth back as staff, Trevayne is out of the picture so there shouldn't be any problems. . . He was one of the better staff members the game has seen.
Autek in game.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users