Ban For No Apparent Reason

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
31 replies to this topic

#1 Juhosaphat

Juhosaphat
  • Members
  • 312 posts

Posted 19 January 2005 - 05:12 AM

My ip was banned for no apparent reason. I was given no warning, and was just logged off automatically. I was just wondering if I could get a little insight into why I was banned? My main crit is Chad.

#2 jurian

jurian

YAY! Less Lag!

• Members
  • 1505 posts

Posted 19 January 2005 - 05:54 AM

looks like you just said a bad word. and bans are without warning. look at your crits profile by using the website and look if it got a comment. itherwise contact jlh. e-mnail him or talk to him on msn
Even in death my hate will go on

#3 Sean

Sean
  • Members
  • 976 posts

Posted 19 January 2005 - 04:02 PM

Staff Comment: (Aidon on 01-19-2005) Daybanned for cussing in open chat.

Theres your reason.
Stadic Ingame...

#4 Juhosaphat

Juhosaphat
  • Members
  • 312 posts

Posted 19 January 2005 - 11:41 PM

I don't cuss in open chat, only in friends and in pages, and if I can't talk the way I want there, then where the hell can I? Nobody is offended by my language on my friends list, and I have never recieved any complaints of it from anyone else either. You'd figure that a ban would be a little more deserving than one or two cuss words.

#5 Crane

Crane

"Teh Gareth!"

• Members
  • 4091 posts

Posted 20 January 2005 - 01:05 AM

You know the rules about swearing in Nightmist... don't do it, even in private. There are some people offended by swearing, and this game is for all ages... so no bad language.
The Crane Temple Chairman

Main crits:
Crane
Europa

Don't kill the messenger mathematician!

#6 Juhosaphat

Juhosaphat
  • Members
  • 312 posts

Posted 20 January 2005 - 03:28 AM

All the people I talk to know that if I do something they don't like, they can tell me about it and I'll fix it. I don't do it in open chat, and in private chat, why does it matter what I say to those who can't read it?

How about instead of just banning everybody that cusses, why not just make an optional language filter? Those who don't care, can turn it off, and those who get offended by language can turn it on. That way people wouldn't get pissed for being banned for dumbass reasons.

#7 Thunderja

Thunderja

Desperate Housewives #1

• Members
  • 1782 posts

Posted 20 January 2005 - 10:47 AM

You know the rules about swearing in Nightmist... don't do it, even in private. There are some people offended by swearing, and this game is for all ages... so no bad language.

Moose you
I wouldn't mind stabbing you in the face, if that's cool with you?

#8 Juhosaphat

Juhosaphat
  • Members
  • 312 posts

Posted 22 January 2005 - 07:09 AM

What the moose is wrong with this dumbass cussing bullnuts that gets you day banned for no mooseing reason? lol.....*waits for ban*

^I was asking for a ban this time, but really, would a language filter be so hard to impliment into the game?

Edited by Juhosaphat, 22 January 2005 - 07:09 AM.

#9 Sean

Sean
  • Members
  • 976 posts

Posted 22 January 2005 - 02:26 PM

Yes because you can easily get around it by usong things like $,£,@,! etc.
Stadic Ingame...

#10 Crane

Crane

"Teh Gareth!"

• Members
  • 4091 posts

Posted 22 January 2005 - 02:58 PM

All the people I talk to know that if I do something they don't like, they can tell me about it and I'll fix it. I don't do it in open chat, and in private chat, why does it matter what I say to those who can't read it?

How about instead of just banning everybody that cusses, why not just make an optional language filter? Those who don't care, can turn it off, and those who get offended by language can turn it on. That way people wouldn't get pissed for being banned for dumbass reasons.

Filters are too easily bypassed, but some of the staff are starting to clamp down on bad language, so you may be banned without warning if you do curse. Swear at your own risk.

Main crits:
Crane
Europa

#11 Carbon

Carbon
  • Members
  • 302 posts

Posted 22 January 2005 - 04:48 PM

Crane, just because you think cussing is wrong don't mean that it actually is... c'mon we all know your a *goody goody* who licks up to staff...

I was told by JLH that if someone is cussing in open chat, and no-one is offended by it then he has no problems with it so stfu???

#12 JLH

JLH

Administrator

• Admin
  • 1771 posts

Posted 22 January 2005 - 05:40 PM

that's because i don't know about it, so it doesn't bother me
however if i see it, a ban/warn will occur
Anything i post on here is subject to change at any time without notification to the board.

#13 Juhosaphat

Juhosaphat
  • Members
  • 312 posts

Posted 22 January 2005 - 07:47 PM

So why couldn't you impliment the same kind of filter that's on the forums into the game? That way it wouldn't be so easy to bypass. Even with the @ and ! and all that. And if people really want to take the time to type all their cuss words like @ss or $h!t, then I say let them. Just makes them look like a complete dumbass.

#14 Crane

Crane

"Teh Gareth!"

• Members
  • 4091 posts

Posted 22 January 2005 - 10:36 PM

You are right, it does make them look stupid when putting extra spaces in the middle of swear words or replacing one of the letters with an accented vowel or a dollar sign or whatever... but they do it anyway! And humans can see what they mean.

Main crits:
Crane
Europa

#15 Penguin

Penguin

cummins powaaah

• Members
  • 982 posts

Posted 23 January 2005 - 02:28 AM

just as a note, JLH told me once that naughty words are fine in friend/enmey/clan, being they can just remove you if they don't like it.

#16 Sean

Sean
  • Members
  • 976 posts

Posted 23 January 2005 - 04:03 PM

Call me mad but wasnt Aidon monitoring all chat and banning people for it?
Stadic Ingame...

#17 Aidon

Aidon
  • Members
  • 141 posts

Posted 26 January 2005 - 01:12 AM

Nah just call you out on not reading rest of forums and making assumptions. As stated before, by me, I monitor ALL chat, but only ban for open chat.

#18 Shadic

Shadic
  • Members
  • 83 posts

Posted 26 January 2005 - 04:50 AM

I might be a bit naive, but perhaps THAT is why you were banned? O.o

I believe we should be able to say the "moderately bad" type of words, of which I won't list here, for my account's well-being. :unsure:

#19 Deathwish

Deathwish
  • Members
  • 301 posts

Posted 26 January 2005 - 01:01 PM

Nah just call you out on not reading rest of forums and making assumptions. As stated before, by me, I monitor ALL chat, but only ban for open chat.

Omg so I can't plot my evil plans anymore? :unsure: You know everything =(
Out, out brief candle. Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player who struts and frets his hour on the stage and then is heard no more.

#20 Ryuku

Ryuku

Ryuku Ingame, Best 3v3er ever

• Members
  • 2003 posts

Posted 26 January 2005 - 01:45 PM

JLH accidentally banned me once, good thing it was only for 45 minutes /wink JLH

#21 Thunderja

Thunderja

Desperate Housewives #1

• Members
  • 1782 posts

Posted 27 January 2005 - 08:51 AM

JLH accidentally banned me once, good thing it was only for 45 minutes /wink JLH

That was the best 45 mins of my Nightmist life.....
I wouldn't mind stabbing you in the face, if that's cool with you?

#22 Payne

Payne
  • Members
  • 816 posts

Posted 27 January 2005 - 10:39 AM

apperently i was banned for saying "as" just like that so look what nightmist has become to. but when i report someone saying an actual curse word all they get is a stupid warning. gotta love favortism upon staff
Astinus on 1alt Only

#23 Bun

Bun
  • Members
  • 673 posts

Posted 27 January 2005 - 11:35 PM

yer i caught jen swearing in open chat at sgh nothing what so ever happened to her jlh teleported her away for about 20 secs and she came back and just said john thinks pissed is a swear word i evan got the logs somewhere
Santa

I never went to asia this year i fly by and gave them a big wave.

#24 Momba

Momba
  • Members
  • 670 posts

Posted 28 January 2005 - 06:24 AM

Pissed is a swear word?
My inner child is a mean little f*ucker

#25 Exodia

Exodia

Birr

• Members
  • 2265 posts

Posted 28 January 2005 - 08:10 PM

yeh i remember seein 3 ppl banned for saying "pissed" in open chat, so yeh in my eyes it is if some ppl got banned over it
Primex ingame

#26 Kalypso

Kalypso
  • Members
  • 521 posts

Posted 29 January 2005 - 01:19 AM

maybe in the UK but here it is definately not a swear word.
"Maybe some women aren't meant to be tamed.
"Maybe they're supposed to run wild until they find someone just as wild to run with."

#27 dingleo

dingleo
  • Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 11 October 2005 - 12:50 AM

I run on a network with 4 other people.. Its just like our computers are 1.. and if u ban one computer that means that all the computers are banned i dont think that is fair everyone that is on my network plays and if one swears and u bann them thats not fair to me is it?
Dingleo In Game

#28 Nocturnal

Nocturnal
  • Members
  • 273 posts

Posted 11 October 2005 - 01:07 AM

Beating a dead horse aren't we?
Daffy

#29 Echo

Echo
  • Members
  • 60 posts

Posted 11 October 2005 - 01:12 AM

(To Dingleo) oh well if you are on a network you can just get on one of their pcs and get right back on nm and if you are making Racist comments they should put you on a perm bann instead.
In heaven, all that is not music is silence.

And I am not Echo in game just in case anyone is wondering.

#30 MysticStorm

MysticStorm
  • Members
  • 492 posts

Posted 11 October 2005 - 10:43 AM

A-F'n-men Echo! Hell one night me and several people reported about someone sprouting off racist jokes and wouldn't stop. Would that staff member do anything? Nope.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users