Location Location

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#1 Deval

Deval
  • Members
  • 802 posts

Posted 05 July 2004 - 10:54 PM

Ok, I'm aware that the following suggestion is going to rub an incredible number of players the wrong way, and I will get abused like a gay man at a soccer match. However, unlike those who will undoubtedly flood this thread with abuse, I am here to help improve and develop the game as a whole, not to capitalise on geographical mistakes as a means to benefit my own agenda.

I suggest Windia be moved.

I understand Windia's original intent was to be a roving city with no set locations, which isn't such a bad idea, I'm all for that. However, as we all know too well, Windia has taken permanent residence 6 squares away from Arilin. Windia in it's current location literally killed 98% of traffic to Resthaven, and simply serves as a potion/crystal depot for people wanting to head into the barracks. Both Nightmist and Arilin lack advanced mana and healing, and it was my understanding the reasons behind this were that they are begginer/intermediate type cities, where said level of players begin their journeys, thus lack the need for advanced replenishers. The presence of such supplies also encourages the presence of higher level players such as myself, who pick on the lower level/weakers players. We have such easy access to supplies, that we may stalk the vicinity confident with the understanding a constant stream of lone/solitary adventurers will be in the immediate area. Windia was horribly misplaced, and provides too much benefit to those who don't need it, and creates a focus on the Arilin district which I believe should not be there. Let's breathe life back into Resthaven, let's make the Arilin/Nightmist area 'New Player Friendly', lets stop aiding PK'ers so much, let's make the geography of Nightmist and placement of cities make a little sense at least. Nightmist has nothing to lose from moving Windia, but so so so much to gain.
"PK'ing has just become a battle of superior numbers." ~ Goldfish.

#2 Simulation

Simulation
  • Members
  • 467 posts

Posted 05 July 2004 - 10:56 PM

No.
«¤Mêad¤»*

#3 Squee

Squee

Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1810 posts

Posted 05 July 2004 - 10:57 PM

I don't understand why Windia can't just hop around the map like it was originally intended to.

...Is it just unreasonable? Unnecessary hassle?
Posted Image

#4 Crane

Crane

"Teh Gareth!"

• Members
  • 4091 posts

Posted 05 July 2004 - 11:03 PM

The problem is finding locations to move Windia to. JLH will have to modify the server if it is time for Windia to change locations, which involves finding suitable squares' identification numbers, changing the link on that square and Windia's gatehouse, and changing the description of the square to give a clue that Windia is there.
The Crane Temple Chairman

Main crits:
Crane
Europa

Don't kill the messenger mathematician!

#5 DragonHeart

DragonHeart

SnowMan1986

• Members
  • 739 posts

Posted 05 July 2004 - 11:04 PM

what about Hell and the aviators' clan houses? the houses are in windia,so what are we supposed to do if windia gets removed?
Crusader/Raistlin/Spyhunter ingame

#6 Deval

Deval
  • Members
  • 802 posts

Posted 05 July 2004 - 11:14 PM

what about Hell and the aviators' clan houses? the houses are in windia,so what are we supposed to do if windia gets removed?

Clan houses are not a problem, all that is required is simply changing one grid and from where it is entered, and where it exits to. None of the other grid information/stats would have to changed, only the entry square. The manner area creation is done is not a complicated as you think.

The only manpower required to have this work is simply changing the entry square for windia and the entry square for clanhouses. Do not fool yourself into thinking the the entire city will actually have to be manually moved and re-coded. I have resigned myself to that fact that JLH will not be able to have the city dynamically move of it's own accord, however, at least move it to a more sensible area.

No.

You say that as if you had the final word, hah.
"PK'ing has just become a battle of superior numbers." ~ Goldfish.

#7 Thunderja

Thunderja

Desperate Housewives #1

• Members
  • 1782 posts

Posted 05 July 2004 - 11:16 PM

I live in Windia but now travel to BT for Lodestones the majority of the time.

It's central location is a great place to have a clan house in, and I think it provides people who have put the time and money into thier clan to move to Windia/Arlin or RH/BT to have an edge over NM clan town by providing these more advanced services.

Maybe instead of this RH has to become more appealing, the RG can be a good place to train and a good money earner but eventually the novelty wears off. The Malok area is ok but for thieves only... maybe some sort of undead uprising will balance it out.

Anyway, sure this would annoy me slightly for sure, but I think there are more pressing matters to deal with on this game and changing Windia's location will just delay players by half a min, and it could be argued RH needs to be moved more as it is clearly overlapping with NM after that pitiful trip through the sewers /shrug.
I wouldn't mind stabbing you in the face, if that's cool with you?

#8 alone

alone
  • Members
  • 2261 posts

Posted 05 July 2004 - 11:20 PM

I'd love to see it moving about. It's location wouldn't even have to make sense, as it is a cloud city - The clan houses can just go somewhere else.
"Entertain yourself with my nightmares."
- AfterAll

Bunny!

#9 dognapot

dognapot
  • Members
  • 147 posts

Posted 06 July 2004 - 02:02 AM

don't bother me none. advanced items aren't that hard to come by/buy anyways.

edit: as for the aviators clanhouse: they're the frickin' aviators. a series of blunders would be responsible for any inconvienience so they have no one but themselves to complain to. "it's tough, our home in the sky moves!", "but you're the aviators.." "we don't really fly!", "that's too bad for you guys eh?"

Edited by dognapot, 06 July 2004 - 02:07 AM.

wouldn't it be funny if rich had registered this name first, and you were bickering with him?

#10 deadman

deadman
  • Members
  • 2395 posts

Posted 06 July 2004 - 04:42 AM

not needed to be removed.
Contact Unforgiven on 1a.

#11 Stotic

Stotic
  • Members
  • 530 posts

Posted 06 July 2004 - 04:51 AM

This was something I noticed right from the getgo when Windia opened. The fact that the city was placed literally 7 squares from an existing city. I support moving it, but another reasonable location would need to be found.
We'll douse ourselves in gasoline and hang our bodies from the lampposts.

#12 Ryuku

Ryuku

Ryuku Ingame, Best 3v3er ever

• Members
  • 2003 posts

Posted 06 July 2004 - 05:55 AM

Put it west if Nightmist, like, another path to Nightmist graveyard from the west, just go up at the end of the path and Windia.

#13 Tadpole

Tadpole
  • Members
  • 408 posts

Posted 06 July 2004 - 06:24 AM

Put it west if Nightmist, like, another path to Nightmist graveyard from the west, just go up at the end of the path and Windia.

Ya thats not a bad place....or s of royal forest maybe
Reality is wrong. Dreams are for real.

KuMiko in game.

#14 Eternyte

Eternyte
  • Members
  • 470 posts

Posted 06 July 2004 - 06:24 AM

Personally I think getting from 1 city to the next should be a challage. I mean, come on. Can someone really run from Nightmist, to Windia, to Arilin, to Blackthorn, to Sarka... all in 1 minute.

Even better the new Elven Village is opened, where is it? About 13 secs run from Arilin...hurrah!

Nightmists map is severely underdeveloped. We need a wide expansive area, full of danger and quests needed to be complete. Are the ideas really that difficult to come up with?

A start would be a city specifically for every class. A hidden den for thieves, a dark tower for mages, a monastery for cleric. With those new cities, would come quests. Something like Pastor Troy in Harabec.

/t Monk Hi
Monk: long since has this city been free of threat, the bandits from the south are nearing. Our one hope is that a galant warrior of divine birth bring the 'Head Stone of Perethus', then it can be socketed into the Altar. If you would like to hear more, I will at your request.
/t Monk Tell me more
Monk: In a far off land of ruins and murder, lies a tomb of our founder. He was buried there along with his prized possesion. The 'Head Stone of Perethus'.

So you search for the place mentioned by the Monk, you complete all tasks in this new area, and discover a secret for uncover the Head Stone.

You got a Head Stone of Perethus.
/give Monk Head Stone of Perethus.
Monk: Thank you my brother, you have rescued our way of life, because of this honor I will bestow upon you an Ancient Spell.
The Monk chants.
Baddabing!!
Your spells mana costs are lowered by 2mp per casting of any spell.

Not every prize for a quest has to be a super items with a trillion base damage, or have a +25 dex mod. However, we do need more areas, more quests, more cities, more ideas.

Back on topic though. Yes, Windia is far to close.

Edited by Eternyte, 06 July 2004 - 06:35 AM.

I am the Dragon, before me you Tremble!

#15 BlueCrew

BlueCrew
  • Members
  • 374 posts

Posted 06 July 2004 - 06:39 AM

Windia being moved is not a terrible idea. For the reason listed is a problem. You said that you dont want to benifit the more experienced players giving them a tap into advanced mana thats easily accesed. After that you intend to make the area more friendly to the new players so that there are less PKers. This is kinda a steal from the rich give to the poor situation. Why should the game be altered to benifit new players?

Considering that The aviators average lvl is around 10-15 Windia is a good place for them and if Windia moves and ta goes with it there could be problems. Like in the Royal Forest how many lvl10-15 do you see run through the forest and get out on the other side?

Well if the city is moved it wouldnt be a terrible idea to offer ta a new clan house location that would be more accesible to the newer players that are made of ta.

#16 Stotic

Stotic
  • Members
  • 530 posts

Posted 06 July 2004 - 06:51 AM

The clan houses in Windia shouldn't hinder anything.
We'll douse ourselves in gasoline and hang our bodies from the lampposts.

#17 Thunderja

Thunderja

Desperate Housewives #1

• Members
  • 1782 posts

Posted 06 July 2004 - 11:10 AM

Considering that The aviators average lvl is around 10-15 Windia is a good place for them and if Windia moves and ta goes with it there could be problems. Like in the Royal Forest how many lvl10-15 do you see run through the forest and get out on the other side?

/rofl
I wouldn't mind stabbing you in the face, if that's cool with you?

#18 Gaddy

Gaddy
  • Advisors
  • 5234 posts

Posted 06 July 2004 - 11:11 AM

I'd say make Windia move. It really doesn't make sense to have Windia right next to Arilin, which is also very close to Nightmist.

As for soley using it for pots/mana....I usually go RH for pots..since I rarely use them.
I went to windia for mana...but not there are lodestones in BT so I always go there.

O.x Forgot my key point of Windia---Entrance to Chronos. One of my favorite areas...I would hate to have to like...go all the way though the desert to get to Windia to go there :X (maybe we should put it on the northwest or southwest part of desert where I NEVER go...)

Anyway, I'd like to see windia moved north and east (with a new part of the map being added as the path) of BT or north and west (there is a lot of blank space there isnt there?)

Maybe move windia to be a city next to a new area that could be made a ways east of BT....(i guess that's just cause i want more new areas as always :S)

Edited by Gaddy, 06 July 2004 - 11:15 AM.

Wisdom is the principle thing. Therefore, get wisdom, and in all your getting, get understanding.
-Proverbs 4:7

#19 Stigmata

Stigmata
  • Members
  • 671 posts

Posted 06 July 2004 - 11:41 AM

No server coding would be involved with moving windia/chronos -

It'd take one staff command, that can be done literally within seconds. Just requires someone to change the grid link between the start of winida, to somewhere else on the map and alter a few small descriptions.

I didn't read the post fully, so i'm not going to comment much further, but moving Windia around was always intended so I don't see a problem with it.

As for a suitable location. Well, it's a flying city so a suitable location would be anywhere on the map - apart from when it docks near Arilin to exchange goods.

Seens I made it I suppose I should come up with a time plan so here goes -

Original location - 4 days

Random location south of Arilin, heading towards the granite beasts - 2 days

Random location in the desert - 2 days

Harabec stop off - 4 days

Random location in desert - 2 days

Random location near rose garden - 2 days

Random location south of nightmist in the forest - 2 days

Nightmist stop off - 1 day

Random location on path heading to museum - 2 days

Original location - 4 days

Cant see a problem with moving it around near these areas, even with Nightmist because..........

I know one of the main arguments is that Windia stocks adv potions, rendering RH etc useless - but as it's a flying city I feel it's justified to fly over the major areas on it's journey, and because it will only be stopping off briefly I can't see it messing up the usefulness of other places.

If anything I think it'd be extremely fun and interesting to see people looking forward to Windia passing over different locations, so they may be benefited for a while.
Ste - Pengant - Stigmata

#20 Stigmata

Stigmata
  • Members
  • 671 posts

Posted 06 July 2004 - 11:55 AM

Also - I'm interested into why this issue has only just been raised now, a whole 2 years after I was staff. Not getting at anyone here, just wondered why it's took you so long to notice lol.

Clan houses should not be effected, Windia is still a city, it just moves.

As for chronos - well, i'm not sure how many of you are aware of the story behind it, but basically if you look around Windia you'll notice references to King Preston and a 'girl' who can often be seen in the odd picture (bedroom) and in library books (library, duh).

Basically this girl was king preston's daughter (10000000000000 cool points for originality plz) and she got kidnapped by an unknown man. Had I not left the staff I would have planned on doing something more with this, and originally had the idea that it was infact the Time Knight that kidnapped the princess in hope that Windia would create an item to come looking for him. (Orb of time)

So basically, you can only go down below the shop for the Orb of Time with an Amulet, because its supposed to be a secret development and you can only receive the amulet from the king himself.

King preston was intent on using the orb to search for his daughter and defeat the Time Knight.

So i'm afraid thats a no for moving chronos out of windia. Sorry. (If i still have any say in the area lol)

Edit : misread Gaddy's post, thought he wanted to move chronos out of windia and just move windia. But may as well leave my reply incase someoine else wants to suggest it. :)

Edited by Stigmata, 06 July 2004 - 12:00 PM.

Ste - Pengant - Stigmata

#21 Gaddy

Gaddy
  • Advisors
  • 5234 posts

Posted 06 July 2004 - 12:05 PM

Don't think the original plan was for it to constantly be moved around. I like the idea for it to be constantly moving around even more than simply moving it away from Airlin though, would just seem very cool and stuff.
Wisdom is the principle thing. Therefore, get wisdom, and in all your getting, get understanding.

#22 Stigmata

Stigmata
  • Members
  • 671 posts

Posted 06 July 2004 - 12:10 PM

Erm, did you know i made it Gaddy? lol

It was the original plan :)
Ste - Pengant - Stigmata

#23 Squee

Squee

Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1810 posts

Posted 06 July 2004 - 01:09 PM

...and originally had the idea that it was infact the Time Knight that kidnapped the princess...

Duuude, the Time Knight should be the King's daughter! And then she could fall into the coma and wake up with some kind of freaky power like premonitions! *goes back to watching Passions on NBC*

Anyways, back on topic, are you suggesting that Winida not stop moving even for a week? Call me a newb but isn't that a bit harsh? The description change for a square that Windia above it would probably just be "you see a fairly large shadow being cast from above" - something hardly noticable when you're running South of RH or to the desert.

I've never been to Chronos but are the benefits really worth hunting down Windia for a day, only to find it has moved away in less than a week?
Posted Image

#24 Stigmata

Stigmata
  • Members
  • 671 posts

Posted 06 July 2004 - 01:23 PM

I'd say the benefits definately outweigh the time itd take hunting down the city.

Boots of Time and Blade of Time are both available in chronos, 2 of the more popular items around today.

I don't see the problem with players having to hunt down windia when it's in the open areas as they can always just wait until it docks at a town.
Ste - Pengant - Stigmata

#25 Squee

Squee

Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1810 posts

Posted 06 July 2004 - 01:26 PM

I completely forgot about the Time items. XP

At least this would help stop the flow of these "uber" weapons being pumped into the Nightmist populas. ^__^
Posted Image

#26 Gaddy

Gaddy
  • Advisors
  • 5234 posts

Posted 06 July 2004 - 01:35 PM

Erm, did you know i made it Gaddy? lol

It was the original plan :)

Yes yes Ste, wasn't talking about 'the original plan', I was talking about Deval's original plan as to moving the town.

hoser...

#27 Stigmata

Stigmata
  • Members
  • 671 posts

Posted 06 July 2004 - 02:11 PM

I was gonna say sorry for misunderstanding again, but i've done it twice in the same thread..........so i'm blaming you and your misleading posts. :)

Edited by Stigmata, 06 July 2004 - 02:13 PM.

Ste - Pengant - Stigmata

#28 archmaster

archmaster
  • Members
  • 168 posts

Posted 06 July 2004 - 02:55 PM

Ok, I'm aware that the following suggestion is going to rub an incredible number of players the wrong way, and I will get abused like a gay man at a soccer match. However, unlike those who will undoubtedly flood this thread with abuse, I am here to help improve and develop the game as a whole, not to capitalise on geographical mistakes as a means to benefit my own agenda.

I understand Windia's original intent was to be a roving city with no set locations, which isn't such a bad idea, I'm all for that. However, as we all know too well, Windia has taken permanent residence 6 squares away from Arilin. Windia in it's current location literally killed 98% of traffic to Resthaven, and simply serves as a potion/crystal depot for people wanting to head into the barracks. Both Nightmist and Arilin lack advanced mana and healing, and it was my understanding the reasons behind this were that they are begginer/intermediate type cities, where said level of players begin their journeys, thus lack the need for advanced replenishers. The presence of such supplies also encourages the presence of higher level players such as myself, who pick on the lower level/weakers players. We have such easy access to supplies, that we may stalk the vicinity confident with the understanding a constant stream of lone/solitary adventurers will be in the immediate area. Windia was horribly misplaced, and provides too much benefit to those who don't need it, and creates a focus on the Arilin district which I believe should not be there. Let's breathe life back into Resthaven, let's make the Arilin/Nightmist area 'New Player Friendly', lets stop aiding PK'ers so much, let's make the geography of Nightmist and placement of cities make a little sense at least. Nightmist has nothing to lose from moving Windia, but so so so much to gain.

Why should i give a hoot what a person who clearly states that he
Picks on lower lvl players thinks, i hate ppl who think theyre so cool cuz they can kill a lvl 20....if youre so good, fight someone your own lvl
no offence deval :) its a good idea for it 2 be constantly moving around (maybe one sq per day) but it would suck...when you drop from the city you could be in harebec, or land in a pub....tho it would be realistic

Edited by archmaster, 06 July 2004 - 02:57 PM.

You and me, We'll all go down in history, With a sad statue of liberty, and a generation that didn't agree

#29 Flux

Flux
  • Members
  • 76 posts

Posted 06 July 2004 - 03:18 PM

Truth is, the fact that the original creator of the area advocated (and intended) for this to happen should be arguement alone. Ste took the time to develop this area with an idea in mind, and it wasn't intended to stay permanently docked next to Arilin. It's easy to implement, will remedy a current game imbalance, and enhances the RP value of the area (might I remind you we are in fact playing a RPG before we go off on that arguement tangent).

This was one of those comments that should have been taken straight to staff, because all it will do here is collect dissent from selfishly motivated players. I'll see what I can do.
A good post is like a miniskirt: short enough to pertain interest and long enough to cover the subject.

#30 Rappy_Ninja

Rappy_Ninja
  • Members
  • 2923 posts

Posted 06 July 2004 - 04:34 PM

Why should i give a hoot what a person who clearly states that he
Picks on lower lvl players thinks, i hate ppl who think theyre so cool cuz they can kill a lvl 20....if youre so good, fight someone your own lvl
no offence deval :) its a good idea for it 2 be constantly moving around (maybe one sq per day) but it would suck...when you drop from the city you could be in harebec, or land in a pub....tho it would be realistic

1umm... they have pacis and lvl 10 rule
2 deval doesnt pk
3 if the newbs of ta dont like it then they may /disband and tr can be no 1 clan again :)
Page/Memo Beatrix

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users