Nightmist Online Forum - http://www.nightmist-online.co.uk
« Nightmist Online Forum - Highway Patroller »
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
04/20/24 at 10:49:18

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register

Nightmist Online Forum
   Nightmist - Improving the game
   Nightmist Development
(Moderators: Stotic, JLH, Zephie, Pandilex)
   Highway Patroller
« No topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Highway Patroller  (Read 965 times)
Wolfgang
USA 

P|-|33|2 /\/\y 14c|< 0F 833|2

DeadKennedy5569
View Profile WWW Email

Highway Patroller
« on: 02/21/04 at 01:18:36 »
Quote Quote

Okay. so i've kinda banged this out over the last couple of days, and its probably still pretty rusty. I was inspired because someone kept on complaining about PKers, and someone mentioned a Highway Patrollman. And that if there were so many guards in Nightmist, why werent there any on the highways? So yeah. Its probably either a bad idea, or not that great. But tell me what you think anyways.

Notes (1): The movement would be similar to that of the Windia Citizens, or the Tax Collector. Not as much in the pattern, but the way that he visits most squares for a short period of time, and moves on.

Notes (2): There are two Patrollers. One male, and one female. The area in which they move could either be divided up, or they could move about freely, covering the ground twice as often. Either way works for me.  The male and the female thing is just an idea. It can be tossed out.

Story: Tired of all the murders in between their two cities, fed up with complaints, and with their reputations at stake, the elders of the two cities Nightmist and Arilin got together and decided that the only way to solve this particular problem was to hire Highway Patrollers to arrest people who could be guilty of murder.

NPC Name: “Highway Patroller 1" (male. Other suggested names: “Male Highway Patroller” or “Highway Patroller Male”, or just “Highway Patroller”)
Icon: Male Police Officer (if one is not available, I can make one)
HP: 10000
Attacks: The Highway Patroller attacks you with his/her Night-Stick for 80 points of damage. (Counter attack only).
Actions: Patrols around the forests between Nightmist and Arilin, arresting any person who commits an act of violence against another person while he is on the square, and teleporting them to a jail cell instantly.
Dialogue: (orange) The Highway Patroller shines a flashlight in your eyes. (White) “Have you ingested any strange potions recently sir/ma’am?”
Page Dialogue: You should really contact my partner about this...
Description: The Highway Patroller is a large, angry looking man, with greasy hair combed back in an old style fashion. A Knight-Stick hangs from his far-to-small belt. The Highway Patroller is in a (x) condition.

NPC Name: “Highway Patroller 2" (female. Other suggested names: “Female Highway Patroller” or “Highway Patroller Female”, or just “Highway Patroller”)
Icon: Female Police Officer
HP: 10000
Attacks: The Highway Patroller attacks you with his/her Night-Stick for 80 points of damage.
Actions: Patrols around the forests between Nightmist and Arilin, arresting any person who commits an act of violence against another person while she is on the square, and teleporting them to a jail cell instantly
Dialogue: (orange) The Highway Patroller shines a flashlight in your eyes. (White) “Have you ingested any strange potions recently sir/ma’am?”
Page Dialogue: I’m a little busy now. You should really contact my partner about this.
Description (look): The Highway Patroller wears loose police officers uniform, with a shiny badge hanging from her left breast pocket. Her long black hair is tied back in a professional looking ponytail, and a Night-Stick hangs from her belt. The Highway Patroller is in a (x) condition.

Jail Cell:

A single square, devoid of any objects, except a button saying “Pay Bail (xxxx Gold)”, and another button reading “Pay Bail (EXP)” can also be used with a “/bail gold” and “/bail exp” command. If the player cannot afford to pay the bail, they pay the amount of EXP that would be lost had they died. Money will be taken from bank account.

Bail in gold would be calculated using the formula “#pks*10", or “#pks*lvl”. Either this, or a fixed rate.  

Description: “You are standing in a cramped jail cell."

Detailed Descrip: "You are standing in a small jail cell that is devoid of any decoration save a crack in the floor within which a few sickly weeds grow.  A toilet and bed occupy one corner of the room, both of which emit a nauseating stench."

Go West: “You cannot go this way. The foul scent of the toilet seems to overpower you the closer you get to it. You fall to the floor, writing in agony and disgust at the power of the stench. You somehow manage to drag yourself away”.

South: The bed, which is propped against the wall, seems to be emitting a foul odor. The smell of rotting flesh consumes you, forcing you to back away from it in terror.

East: A sturdy gray wall, containing a single window, closed off by the iron bars. Your one chance at freedom is just out of reach.

North: Iron bars forming the entrance to the cell bar any outward movement.

Up: A dull gray ceiling, with cracks running through it. You would be able to break out, where it not for the jailers keeping a close eye on you.

Down: The floor is the same pewter gray as the rest of the room, though it is punctuated by the sickly green weeds that pop up through the cracks in the floor every now and then. No escape this way.

After bail is payed, player is teleported to either Boars Tusk Inn, or their local.

o.o so yeah. tell me what you think.
IP Logged

I NEVER HAVE AND NEVER WILL, PLEDGE ALLEGEANCE -Propagandhi
IG: Wolfgang, Captain Rehab
An Eskimo

Email

Re: Highway Patroller
« Reply #1 on: 02/21/04 at 01:21:45 »
Quote Quote

I think its cool.
IP Logged
alone

My beautiful escape. Fall from pain. My suicide.

View Profile Email

« Reply #2 on: 02/21/04 at 01:28:52 »
Quote Quote

I must say. I like the progression of the idea.. But I dislike the idea of the payment.. I have a couple of characters with over 1,000 PKs, and I got very few of them myself, only like 10 or so myself. If I was attacking an enemy, or retaliating for previous actions, and was taken to jail, I don't fancy paying #pks*lvl nor #pks*10.. That's either 35,100 gold or 11,700 gold..
Either way, for protecting myself that's a lot to pay out.

I think a simple sentance of 30seconds in jail would be more than enough.. Having everyone of your (logged on) characters stopped for 30seconds is alot, no pages, incoming nor outgoing. A complete lock on the crits.
This character has commited a crime and is serving their term in jail.
Just another idea thrown in there..

I dislike the idea of them being killable.. Possibly they heal when they reach a gatehouse?
IP Logged

Wolfgang
USA 

DeadKennedy5569
View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #3 on: 02/21/04 at 02:02:14 »
Quote Quote

Blah. i knew i forgot something. They were not meant to be killable. While it is feasable, its not likely.

Uh... yeah. they should have the ability to heal between gatehouses, or maybe  just in general.

The 30 second lock think does seem interesting. I know what you mean about for defending yourself. The pk*level was an idea that Kharybdis came up with as a half joke. Maybe a time limit is a better idea, either that or a steady rate of some non horribly inflated price. But the 30 second lock seems good.
IP Logged

ice_cold

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: 02/21/04 at 03:00:21 »
Quote Quote

seems hella hard to code, but it would be nice.maybe you could pay a bail of 1k, or have to wait a minute in there? 30 seconds seems too little.
IP Logged
alone

My beautiful escape. Fall from pain. My suicide.

View Profile Email

« Reply #5 on: 02/21/04 at 03:02:07 »
Quote Quote

30seconds can take an age if you're in a rush to do stuff... But sure, 1minute is cool Smiley
IP Logged

Wolfgang
USA 

DeadKennedy5569
View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #6 on: 02/21/04 at 03:06:46 »
Quote Quote

yeah. it does seem kinda hard  Undecided...  

bail sounds like a better idea to me. But what if someone doesnt have the money? o.O
IP Logged

sayadin
USA 

Why ask why? Stop being a pansy and just do it!!

stonersayadin420   kamikazekarni
View Profile Email

« Reply #7 on: 02/26/04 at 19:20:30 »
Quote Quote

Why don't you just make the square that the guard is on a non-pk-able square? It provides safety and gives you time to reheal. If a monster follows you in that direction the guard will auto-attack it to keep you and him safe. And it would be good to kill the guard, but in doing so it will make you lose exp. The same as for the Morners in the Arilin cementary. Kill them, you lose exp. Still your idea is good. Oh and one more thing. The guard can only heal himself and if someone kills it the guard will respawn in about a min or so.
IP Logged

WWJD(for a klondìke bar?)
Def-Con Owl Spray
Kills Owls Dead!
[Adult Swim]
I'm more confused than 3 bricks and a toilet seat!
Comedy is like cheese, Once you cut it, you can't stop laughing!!!
Deval
Australia 

What one lacks in skill, he makes up for with alts

61207412 61207412   Death_Jester_King   HitCowsWithCars
View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #8 on: 02/26/04 at 23:39:04 »
Quote Quote

The ability to kill the gaurd would indeed be madxor, but I don't think you should loose exp, it should just be really l337, and no damage can be done to the person who hired the guard, until it is dead.

... Hang on... I don't even know if I like this idea O.o
IP Logged

'Madness you say! Do you fear me? Are you afraid of what I might do, of what I might say? What a fascinating reaction. Don't you find it somewhat encumbering?'
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« No topic | Next topic »

Nightmist Online Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.