Nightmist Online Forum - http://www.nightmist-online.co.uk
« Nightmist Online Forum - Black Creek Rift *revised* »
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
04/18/24 at 22:50:42

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register

Nightmist Online Forum
   Nightmist - Improving the game
   Nightmist Development
(Moderators: Stotic, JLH, Zephie, Pandilex)
   Black Creek Rift *revised*
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Black Creek Rift *revised*  (Read 2639 times)
ice_cold

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile

Black Creek Rift *revised*
« on: 02/17/04 at 23:19:19 »
Quote Quote

Didn't feel like dragging up an old post, and not be able to modify my posts.

For months  earthquakes have trembled Resthavens ground's and the mountains to the south of it. The elders and shamans of the communities have been baffled as to why they've been occurring; in no record has anything ever been said about months of earthquakes or of great tremors that last for hours on end. As more and more earthquakes passed through Resthaven, a giant rift in the ground devoured the south-eastern portion of Mt. Fenowasty. The newly formed rift stretches beyond the eyes can see, to the other side of the mountains. Within a week of the rifts developement, many adventurers scrounged up enough courage to seek out the wonders of the new lands; warriors and merchants, mages and paladins, even guards and priests chose to explore the rich enviroment. To everyone's amazement, the two-week old rift already had tall trees,  wild flowers, and packs of herbivore animals grazing. On either side of the great rift sits large, pale grey, granite mountains that scale thousands of feet up the skyline. Visitors of the rift tell of amazingly beautiful sunflowers that stand 10 feet tall, packs of elk that aren't afraid of approaching parties, small ponds and streams with water so pure that you can see to the bottom and all the fish swimming, and of a single odd creak that is jet black. Of the people who speak of the creak, a few alarmed adventurers told of when the water was in their hands or in water skins, the water no longer was black, but a light bluish-green color, and when drank, the water not only alleviated their thirst, but healed their wounds as well. Some travelers even told of a mysterious tribal community that worships scorpions and feast on live animals.

Descriptions  

step in  
-------  
You are standing on the edge of the rift Thick vegetation grows overhead, concealing all beneath the dense canopy from view.  There is a group of large trees to the South, and Mount Fenowasty is to the North.

look around  
-----------  
You are standing on the edge on the rift. You are surrounded by the thick trees; even the sky is blocked out by the dense verdant canopy. A small path has been worn through the forest by the travelers who came before you. To the North lies Mount Fenowasty, and the trail broadens towards the South.

Me Pages You from Dark Creek Rift (Edge)  

walk in  
-------  
You are standing on what seems to be a small trail. Tall trees grow all around you, with the occasional flower disrupting the monotonous greenery. You can go up the ridge by going North, or further down by going *direction(s)*.

look around  
-----------  
You are standing on a small trail. Though it has formed just recently, the surrounding flora are already beginning to encroach upon the path through the forest. Pine, oak, and elms all make this area their home, along with carnations where trees allow them to. You can go North back towards Mt. Fenowasty. The trail also goes *direction(s)*.

look around  
-----------  
You are standing on a small trail. . Though it has formed just recently, the surrounding flora are already beginning to encroach upon the path through the forest.  There are few trees, but towering sunflowers fill the void left by the absent trees and  smaller flowers such as daisies, tulips, and dandelions grow at the feet of the towering sunflowers. You can go North back towards Mt. Fenowasty. The trail also goes *direction(s)*.

look around  
-----------  
You are standing on a small trail.  The sparse grass contrasts sharply with the deep foliage behind you, yet it still seems consistent with the overall scenery.  You can go North back towards Mt. Fenowasty. The trail also goes *direction(s)*.

Me Pages You from Dark Creek Rift (Small Path)

------------------------------------  
these would be thrown throughout the rift with the walk-in description right above them and the page thats below them. Once again the descriptions are rather large, but I feel that they need to be that long to continually build up the fact that the area is very beautiful and unlike anything the adventurer has ever seen before.  
------------------------------------  

walk in  
-------  
You are standing in a patch of bird-of-paradise flowers. The kaleidoscopic array of orange and blue petals hypnotize you, begging you to stay and listen to the waterfall's soothing song amongst the blooms. You may go East or North.

look around  
-----------  
You are standing in the midst of a patch of bird-of-paradise flowers. You can hear the water falling to the small pool at the bottom of the waterfall, which sings a soothing song. The water in the pool at the base of the waterfall is remarkably clear; so clear in fact that you can easily see the bottom of the pool. Further beauty lies to the East, or you can go North towards the city Resthaven.

walk in  
-------  
You are standing in a small field. Flowers such as stargazer lilies, pink lilies, orange gerbera daisies, and yellow poms surround you. Though the lush greenery is full of life, there are no animals in the midst of the beauty all around. You may go North or South.

look around  
-----------  
You are standing in a small field filled with a variety of flowers.  An abundance of lilies make this field their home, as well as pink lilies, gerbera daisies, poms, and roses.  Fragrant flowers are all around, yet no bees revel in the vivid blooms. You can go North or South.

walk in  
-------  
You are standing next to a tainted creek. The edge of the creek is completely barren; nothing but ash and dirt cover the ground beneath you.  You may return East to the flowers and trees, South along the creek, North towards Resthaven, or West across the creek.

look around
----------
You are standing next to a dark creek.  Sparse, dead trees are the only features disrupting the barren strip running parallel to the creek.  The barren dirt shifts and crumbles beneath the weight of your body, contrasting sharply with the lush greenery mere yards away. To your North are Mountains, a meadow to the East, and the dirty creek is to your West. You can follow the creek by going South.

descriptions written by me, and re-worked with the help of kharybdis
« Last Edit: 02/17/04 at 23:49:26 by ice_cold » IP Logged
Deval
Australia 

What one lacks in skill, he makes up for with alts

61207412 61207412   Death_Jester_King   HitCowsWithCars
View Profile WWW Email

Re: Black Creek Rift *revised*
« Reply #1 on: 02/17/04 at 23:40:20 »
Quote Quote

That is really good, the descriptions are not only well thought out, and gramatically correct, you've managed to colour your descriptions using words that shy from the usual mundane regulars. I applaud the fact that this also does not appear to be a boss area/quest. The only thing I noticed which didn't appeal to me alot was the use of the flower with the reference to Ireland in it's name, whilst I assume it's based on a r/l flower, maybe you could change it to something which doesn't associate with reality.

This area is hot sh!t. (That's a good thing.)
IP Logged

'Madness you say! Do you fear me? Are you afraid of what I might do, of what I might say? What a fascinating reaction. Don't you find it somewhat encumbering?'
ice_cold

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: 02/17/04 at 23:44:26 »
Quote Quote

all flowers in my area are real flowers that i worked with while i was in highschool horticulture, landscaping, and landscaping 2 classes. i will be more then happy to change the name to a new flower for you deval. This isn't the whole area yet, but no, this area will not have a boss in it, as many areas have came out with more and more powerful bosses with new more powerful drops. i beleive now there needs to be areas with more room to plainly train.
IP Logged
Wolfgang
USA 

P|-|33|2 /\/\y 14c|< 0F 833|2

DeadKennedy5569
View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #3 on: 02/18/04 at 00:51:56 »
Quote Quote

I think that its really really good. *nod nod nod*

IP Logged

I NEVER HAVE AND NEVER WILL, PLEDGE ALLEGEANCE -Propagandhi
IG: Wolfgang, Captain Rehab
Stotic
Nightmist Game Staff
USA 

We Can Rise

View Profile WWW

« Reply #4 on: 02/18/04 at 02:31:22 »
Quote Quote

It has a pretty decent structure to it.  One thing I'm questioning is that its a rift.  Wouldn't there have to be an existance of a waterway there for there to be a rift?
IP Logged

We'll douse ourselves in gasoline and hang our bodies from the lampposts.
Angie

Lolly

kaotickuteness
View Profile

« Reply #5 on: 02/18/04 at 02:41:05 »
Quote Quote

I like it! ^^;;
IP Logged

Feeeeeeh
ice_cold

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile

« Reply #6 on: 02/18/04 at 02:50:15 »
Quote Quote

on 02/18/04 at 02:31:22, Stotic wrote:
It has a pretty decent structure to it.  One thing I'm questioning is that its a rift.  Wouldn't there have to be an existance of a waterway there for there to be a rift?

rift1    ( P )  Pronunciation Key  (rft)
n.  
A narrow fissure in rock.
A break in friendly relations: a rift between siblings.

name can always be chaged as well, the name isnt the important thing, but the area itself is
IP Logged
Stotic
Nightmist Game Staff
USA 

We Can Rise

View Profile WWW

« Reply #7 on: 02/18/04 at 04:10:14 »
Quote Quote

Well it seems suitable.  Develop some monsters for it.  Wink
IP Logged

ice_cold

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile

« Reply #8 on: 02/18/04 at 04:28:53 »
Quote Quote

on 02/18/04 at 04:10:14, Stotic wrote:
Well it seems suitable.  Develop some monsters for it.  Wink

/hug stotic
IP Logged
ice_cold

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile

« Reply #9 on: 02/18/04 at 05:17:17 »
Quote Quote

there's nothing on the East side of the river, so everything here is on west side or in the river.

Alux
The Alux is a large four legged beast with long white horns sprouting from it's head. It's large body is covered in long brown fur, and it's hooves have a dark black tint to them. The Alux is in a healthy condition.

Would have around 1,650 hp
Bites for 35 damage
Rams you for 65 damage
1 stamina every round
Drops Alux Meat every kill but doesn't drop any gold.
Gives 65 exp per point of damage

The Water Snake has red, yellow, and purple stripes all along its body. Two long fangs extend from its mouth trying to find a target on your body for it's deadly venom. The Water Snake is in a healthy condition.

Would have around 2,500 hp
Poinson's for 40
Hits for 20 every round
Has 3 stamina a round
Drops 750 gold
Gives 35 exp per point of damage

The Mountain Fox has a long slender body. Foam forms around its lips as it growls at you. The Mountain Fox is in a healthy condition.

Has about 750 hp
Bites for 45 Damage
Has 1 stamina a round
Drops 50 gold
Gives 45 exp per hit.

The Flailing Ogre stands at nine feet tall. The Ogre's eye's are a bright red and its mouth is filled with six inch teeth. In its right hand is a blood tainted wooden club that is as large as you. The Flailing Ogre is in a healthy condition.

Would have around 5,200 hp
Hits you with its club for 100 damage
Punches you for 75 damage
Attempted to punch you, but slightly connected for 13 damage (something like that for a 3rd attack)
1 stamina every 5 seconds
Drops 1100 gold

Along with these would be Deer, Wolf, and Mountain Goat
« Last Edit: 02/18/04 at 05:40:24 by ice_cold » IP Logged
Stotic
Nightmist Game Staff
USA 

We Can Rise

View Profile WWW

« Reply #10 on: 02/18/04 at 05:51:55 »
Quote Quote

Reasonable, but I would have to adjust some things on there.  Considering you probably havn't worked with monster dims etc. I'm sure your not as familiar with balance.  Oddly you're the first person I've seen to give less xp to monsters then I would think.  How big do you plan this area to be?  Its exact location?  Player levels aimed at?
IP Logged

ice_cold

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile

« Reply #11 on: 02/18/04 at 06:02:19 »
Quote Quote

on 02/18/04 at 05:51:55, Stotic wrote:
Reasonable, but I would have to adjust some things on there.  Considering you probably havn't worked with monster dims etc. I'm sure your not as familiar with balance.  Oddly you're the first person I've seen to give less xp to monsters then I would think.  How big do you plan this area to be?  Its exact location?  Player levels aimed at?

actually, i have worked with the monsters before. last year sometime i started working on path to penalia with the help of zephie (or whatever, i forget now) but my computer died (my mom threw it outside in a rainstorm) so i didnt get back on nightmist for awhile. Anyways, I was planning on making it a descent size. The area would be south of mt frenowasty, but when you get into the area, it would go west a lot farther, possible the size forest of souls and triken forest combined. I was also thinking about a tribal village being put in, but it wouldnt be like a regular city, you wouldnt be able to buy or sell stuff, its more like the spring on the trail to desert or sage house in natura. a few people would talk to you, but no new items would be in the area but the Alux Meat. I base the monsters hp on a party of lvl 25+ crits.
« Last Edit: 02/18/04 at 07:23:16 by ice_cold » IP Logged
alone

My beautiful escape. Fall from pain. My suicide.

View Profile Email

« Reply #12 on: 02/18/04 at 11:44:26 »
Quote Quote

If it's somewhere for people to train, surely slightly more exp per PoD would be a better idea?
IP Logged

Tatsu
England 

Tatsu, Kang, Syphon in game

View Profile

« Reply #13 on: 02/18/04 at 15:21:23 »
Quote Quote

yeah the flailing ogre hits waay to hard for the amount of exp you get: this should be put up to somthing like x85? or mbbe x80, but then you would have to put its damage down to make it as good as training on sand spiders.

water snake is decent gold but even so i think the exp should go up a bit, otherwise people probably wouldent bother, to at least x60+.

alux looks ok, mbbe put the exp to x70, possibly could you sell the meat for gold in RH?

mountain fox should drop more than a small snake lol, mbbe 120?, and should give x60ish exp

also, you could include some carnivorous plants see as you have giant ones already, eg a giant venus flytrap or something Smiley

but yeah, looks good Cheesy
IP Logged

ooh-eeh-ooh-aah-ahh, ting-tang, walla-walla-bing-bang; ooh-eeh-ooh-aah-ahh, ting-tang-walla-walla-bing-bang. (repeat, with various arm and leg movements)
ice_cold

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile

« Reply #14 on: 02/18/04 at 18:44:53 »
Quote Quote

on 02/18/04 at 05:17:17, ice_cold wrote:
there's nothing on the East side of the river, so everything here is on west side or in the river.

Alux
The Alux is a large four legged beast with long white horns sprouting from it's head. It's large body is covered in long brown fur, and it's hooves have a dark black tint to them. The Alux is in a healthy condition.

Would have around 1,650 hp
Bites for 35 damage
Rams you for 65 damage
1 stamina every round
Drops Alux Meat every kill but doesn't drop any gold.
Kill exp 250

The Water Snake has red, yellow, and purple stripes all along its body. Two long fangs extend from its mouth trying to find a target on your body for it's deadly venom. The Water Snake is in a healthy condition.

Would have around 2,500 hp
Poinson's for 40
Hits for 20 every round
Has 3 stamina a round
Drops 850 gold
Gives 45 exp per point of damage
Kill exp 250

The Mountain Fox has a long slender body. Foam forms around its lips as it growls at you. The Mountain Fox is in a healthy condition.

Has about 750 hp
Bites for 45 Damage
Has 1 stamina a round
Drops 90 gold
Gives 55 exp per hit.
Kill exp 75

The Flailing Ogre stands at nine feet tall. The Ogre's eye's are a bright red and its mouth is filled with six inch teeth. In its right hand is a blood tainted wooden club that is as large as you. The Flailing Ogre is in a healthy condition.

Would have around 5,200 hp
Hits you with its club for 100 damage
Punches you for 75 damage
Attempted to punch you, but slightly connected for 13 damage (something like that for a 3rd attack)
1 stamina every 5 seconds
Drops 1100 gold
Gives 75 exp per point of damage
Kill exp 750

Along with these would be Deer, Wolf, and Mountain Goat

since i couldnt modify...ive changed them slightly. I think the Alux is perfect. gave fox 10 more exp per point of damage and 40 more gold (i mean it can be taken in one round...), snake was beafed up to give 10 more exp, and 100 more gold (it can only hit for a max of 60 damage a round...and be taken in about 4 rounds), made ogre's exp per point of damage +10. Personally, i would like for it to stay this way, i dont feel like this becoming a new jahanna (during town) or museum where leveling was/is made too easy. I also added kill exp
IP Logged
Deval
Australia 

What one lacks in skill, he makes up for with alts

61207412 61207412   Death_Jester_King   HitCowsWithCars
View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #15 on: 02/18/04 at 21:27:37 »
Quote Quote

Perhaps as incentive for people to train there, even with lower exp, maybe give all (yes I mean all) monsters in the area a 0.5% - 2% (somewhere between those two figures) chance to drop a 'Rift Jewel' which can be sold in Resthaven for a very very keen price? The opportunity to get wicked Jewel(s) (whist probability is low) combined with your current cash and exp allowance would be good to draw players to the area in my opinion.

Perhaps the Rift Jewel could be worth 4 to 5k? The jewel would not flood the market as it is a very low drop percentage, yet not be so rare as to only be found once in a blue moon (this obviously being due to the fact that all monsters can drop it, which I'm sure there will be plenty of.) Anyway, how exciting would it be to see one of those babies pop into your inventory during a mundane training session? Something exciting for once! ^_^

IP Logged

'Madness you say! Do you fear me? Are you afraid of what I might do, of what I might say? What a fascinating reaction. Don't you find it somewhat encumbering?'
Wolfgang
USA 

DeadKennedy5569
View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #16 on: 02/18/04 at 23:54:33 »
Quote Quote

on 02/18/04 at 21:27:37, Deval wrote:
Perhaps as incentive for people to train there, even with lower exp, maybe give all (yes I mean all) monsters in the area a 0.5% - 2% (somewhere between those two figures) chance to drop a 'Rift Jewel' which can be sold in Resthaven for a very very keen price?  

That is a nice idea... but I'd stay on the lower side, personally. Then maybe jack up the price a little bit.

BTW... the Flailing Ogre scares me. Very very much
IP Logged

Rage
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile

« Reply #17 on: 02/19/04 at 00:18:02 »
Quote Quote

I like the descriptions, monsters are pretty cool aswell. I like the idea deval put out, would be nice to see a nice jewel pop into ur inven or u there could be a 2 armor ammy that drops not that often, would save ya the 10k of buying one in shop.
IP Logged
Stotic
Nightmist Game Staff
USA 

We Can Rise

View Profile WWW

« Reply #18 on: 02/19/04 at 02:19:05 »
Quote Quote

Cool idea Deval. Cheesy

Ice_cold, memo me a map and anything else you'd like to say.
IP Logged

Wolfgang
USA 

DeadKennedy5569
View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #19 on: 02/19/04 at 02:34:35 »
Quote Quote

yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay ^______^
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Nightmist Online Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.