Nightmist Online Forum - http://www.nightmist-online.co.uk
« Nightmist Online Forum - Demon Caves »
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
03/29/24 at 14:05:38

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register

Nightmist Online Forum
   Nightmist - Improving the game
   Nightmist Development
(Moderators: Stotic, JLH, Zephie, Pandilex)
   Demon Caves
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Demon Caves  (Read 2467 times)
Chomp

Email

Demon Caves
« on: 02/03/04 at 19:39:35 »
Quote Quote

I have completing maping out a area called "Demon Caves".  I will post this map here in a sec, but this is how you get in there.  There could be an alternate DG drop called password to hell, and each time on this card there would be a different password to type in, to go down into demon caves.  Or, another option would to use vortex gate to go in there.  Demon caves is a 3 floor cave with many monsters that you must defeat to pass to the next square.  At the end of this area, the boss 'Satan' is waiting, and drops 1 of 3 weapons.  here are what the 3 weapons are:  
Possed Bow:
base damage: 18, can be used by: Rangers  
Discription: This bow has been passed down through the ages since the begining of time, when satan's head was crushed.  This bow is possessed by the demons, and anyone who touches it looses health to the demons.  Also, the holder gets possessed by demons when he equips it.  The weapon is also very powerful and holds the ability to take an enemy down in one blow.  
lvl needed to equip: 30  
Magical: No, Vamparic: No, Armor: 0, Strength modifier: 0, Intelligence modifier: 0, Dexterity modifier: 0, Constitution modifier: 0, Wisdom modifier: 0, Charisma modifier: 0, Poison chance: 0, Poison/0 damage: 0, Monster damage table: , Mana leech: .  

HP drainage: 3 hp per 2 seconds  
chance of one hit kils: .05%  
when this weapon is equiped your nopk list is cleared.  
weapon.  

Possessed Blade
Base Damage: 23, can be used by: Fighters, Beserkers.
Discripstion: This sword has a demon enscripted on each side of the blade, which glows when it is swung at an enemy.  As a warrior holds the weapon, demons take control.  This weapon is very powerful, yet deadly at the same time.
level needed to equip: 30, Magical: No, Vamparic: No, Armor: 0, Strength modifier: 0, Intelligence modifier: 0, Dexterity modifier: 0, Constitution modifier: 0, Wisdom modifier: 0, Charisma modifier: 0, Poison chance: 0, Poison/30s damage: 0, Monster damage table: , Mana leech: .

HP drainage: 3 hp per 2 seconds  
chance of one hit kils: .05%  
when this weapon is equiped your nopk list is cleared.  
weapon.  

and finally:
Satan's Armor
Armor Base: 52, can be worn by: Fighters, Description:  Satan's Armor is pitch black with a carving of Satan's head in the center.  When attacked, this carving glows red and often scares apposing forces off.  Satan's armor is one of the best armors known to man, and can protect a warrior from many powerful blows. There is a catch to this awesome armor,  The armor causes the holder to often attack himself, due to being possessed.

Both weapons also have this effect:  at random times, the holder of these weapons go beserk and attack themselves, or other people around him.
IP Logged
Hatrix
USA 

Regurgitate your faith.

View Profile

Re: Demon Caves
« Reply #1 on: 02/03/04 at 19:48:20 »
Quote Quote

I don't like the idea of having 'Satan' in Nightmist.

What next, a 'Jesus'? Sorry. I don't think 'Hell', or 'Satan' would fit in.
IP Logged

Never again to be torn - It is to be seen.. Once more. Never to disappear.
Deval
Australia 

What one lacks in skill, he makes up for with alts

61207412 61207412   Death_Jester_King   HitCowsWithCars
View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #2 on: 02/03/04 at 21:16:40 »
Quote Quote

Aside from that, what's left once you've defeated the very lord of hell himself? Dumb idea.
IP Logged

'Madness you say! Do you fear me? Are you afraid of what I might do, of what I might say? What a fascinating reaction. Don't you find it somewhat encumbering?'
Chomp

Email

« Reply #3 on: 02/04/04 at 02:35:31 »
Quote Quote

well then maybe a different boss? and I can't get the map uploaded right now, so I wont be able to show it yet.
IP Logged
Vengence

Email

« Reply #4 on: 02/04/04 at 22:40:48 »
Quote Quote

how do you upload maps to the forums that were made on ASCII mapmaker?
IP Logged
alone

My beautiful escape. Fall from pain. My suicide.

View Profile Email

« Reply #5 on: 02/04/04 at 23:07:50 »
Quote Quote

Upload the image file to another site and link to it.
IP Logged

Vengence

Email

« Reply #6 on: 02/08/04 at 18:31:51 »
Quote Quote

http://www.geocities.com/demoncaves/index.html?1076264669090
it is still being edited, but for the most part it is done.  I have never attempted to make a new area, so please post suggestions, and don't flame me >.<.
I also changed the name of "satan's armor" to "Death's Cloak" and the boss is Death (if that is alright with everyone) and I added a new mage spell:
Scroll of Megid: can use at lvl 30, effect: 2% chance of 1 hit kills, uses 1/2 of your mana.
IP Logged
Stotic
Nightmist Game Staff
USA 

We Can Rise

View Profile WWW

« Reply #7 on: 02/08/04 at 19:20:40 »
Quote Quote

Throw some area descriptions up before I even consider anything.
IP Logged

We'll douse ourselves in gasoline and hang our bodies from the lampposts.
Vengence

Email

« Reply #8 on: 02/08/04 at 19:22:55 »
Quote Quote

ah yes, I forgot 2 things, the story and lvl target.
LvL target: 25-30

Story:
Many years ago, Deep beneath the Barracks a Cave was discovered by a skilled warior.  The young knight just fought a feirce battle with the Demonic General, and was expecting to get a halberd he had been longing for.  After he swung the final flow from his pike to the Generals head, he fell over dead and droped not only a Halberd, but a key.  He looked this old key over and it looked of little value, so he droped it.  When it hit the floor it started glowing and a key hole.  The warrior picked the key up and placed it in the key hole, and turned it.  His foot was grabbed by a demon and he was drug underground.  When the brave dwarf looked around and saw red eyes glaring at him, he did not even wince.  He walked alone, limited on healing potions, and battle scared from the general already, and fought possessed demons jumping at him left to right.  He swung his might halberd in the musty, dark...Death-like cave, killing all who approached.  When he got to the end of this cave he saw a cloaked man sitting in a throne.  The creature asked him to come closer...he did.  When he got to the cloaked figure, he felt a blade blast through his gut, and he fell over.  Unable to annouce defeat, he drank his last to healing potions and proceeded to fight.  After many hours of battle, he reached the line and fell over dead.  The cloaked beast ressurected the man, and made him his guardian.  Anyone who challenges this Demon will regret it...
IP Logged
Vengence

Email

« Reply #9 on: 02/08/04 at 19:23:47 »
Quote Quote

on 02/08/04 at 19:20:40, Stotic wrote:
Throw some area descriptions up before I even consider anything.

I'm starting on them, I just finished the story.
IP Logged
Vengence

Email

« Reply #10 on: 02/08/04 at 19:49:27 »
Quote Quote

Every non-colored or yellow square could say something along the lines of: You squint around because there in lighting anywhere.  You can vaugly make out the dirt train beneath you, and demon in front..no behind..no to your left of you.  The one thing that you do notice is, the many red eyes that are jumping around you in all directions.

Mini boss squares: You have stumbled into a wide open area with bodies hanging from the ceiling.  It smells horrible in here and has blood stains on the ground.  You hurry to leave this room but get attacked from behind you...

Reaper's square: You have been traveling for a very long time and see what looks to be a stone seat to the left of you.  You sit down and take a quick break.  As you turn to talk to your friend, you see not a great warrior...but a demon with a sythe that is driping blood onto your lap.

Death's square:  As you enter this room, expecting to find the end of your journey, you see a cloaked man sitting in a huge thorn.  Torches dimly light the room, but you can not make out the mans face.  He sits in the thrown limply, as if dead.  You approach him to offer any assisstance but he suddenly lifts a gigantic blade out of no where and sends it through your heart.

I'm not sure if thats what your looking for, but leave any feedback on it...
IP Logged
Deval
Australia 

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #11 on: 02/08/04 at 23:13:55 »
Quote Quote

You can't kill Death, Death is the constant, killing Death would mean no one would ever die again. Instead of basing your enemy ideas on rl mythologies/beliefs, try making a unique boss.
IP Logged

'Madness you say! Do you fear me? Are you afraid of what I might do, of what I might say? What a fascinating reaction. Don't you find it somewhat encumbering?'
Vengence

Email

« Reply #12 on: 02/09/04 at 00:00:27 »
Quote Quote

on 02/08/04 at 23:13:55, Underpants wrote:

You can't kill Death, Death is the constant, killing Death would mean no one would ever die again. Instead of basing your enemy ideas on rl mythologies/beliefs, try making a unique boss.

Makes sence.

how about something basic like Cloaked Demon or Cloaked Spirit? I know its not very creative, but basic and gets right to the point lol.  anyone else got a suggestion?
IP Logged
Kharybdis
USA 

DeludedMindGame
View Profile

« Reply #13 on: 02/11/04 at 04:27:08 »
Quote Quote

None of the descriptions seem particularly descriptive.  

"You have stumbled into a wide open area with bodies hanging from the ceiling.  It smells horrible in here and has blood stains on the ground.  You hurry to leave this room but get attacked from behind you..."  

What does the "wide open area" look like?  How are the bodies on the ceiling; are they impaled upon rock formations? Hung from hooks attached to the ceiling perhaps?  What's so horrible about the smell?  Are the blood stains from the hanging bodies, are they evidence of a recent battle?  Also, try to avoid telling the player what he/she does.

"You have been traveling for a very long time and see what looks to be a stone seat to the left of you.  You sit down and take a quick break.  As you turn to talk to your friend, you see not a great warrior...but a demon with a sythe that is driping blood onto your lap."

Again, you don't really paint a clear picture of the area.  The entire "As you turn to talk to your friend..." part doesn't belong in a room description.  If you're shooting for a demon that kills a member of your party, maybe you could use a trap and a demon as an actual monster on the square rather than simply stating that a demon takes your friend's place.

"As you enter this room, expecting to find the end of your journey, you see a cloaked man sitting in a huge thorn.  Torches dimly light the room, but you can not make out the mans face.  He sits in the thrown limply, as if dead.  You approach him to offer any assisstance but he suddenly lifts a gigantic blade out of no where and sends it through your heart."

This is better than the previous descriptions, but the fact that you describe the presence of a monster bothers me.  A player could kill the cloaked man, and then in the period between the kill and the respawn the absence of the cloaked man contradicts the description.  And then there's the blade through your heart...  so the player works his way to the end, and then he's killed, just like that?  No warning, no fight, just inevitable death?  Doesn't seem like the sort of quest one would wish to embark upon after hearing about it.  Also, like before, don't tell the players what they think.

This seems like a decent start, but it could use some work.

Edit(s): Modified the phrasing in a few spots.
IP Logged
Vengence

Email

« Reply #14 on: 02/11/04 at 13:21:19 »
Quote Quote

no the being stabbed through the heart doesn't kill you, it injures one person in the party, to mortally wounded.  I'll try to come up with some better descriptions at school today  Undecided.
IP Logged
Angelic

Email

« Reply #15 on: 02/12/04 at 23:48:53 »
Quote Quote

on 02/08/04 at 23:13:55, Underpants wrote:

It could even be made that the crit that kills Death gets some kind of holy protection for a limited amount of time.

i.e., "You have slain the master of death himself, You will be rewarded for this great act of bravery." And then "The 'Gods' have cast Holy Protection on you, increasing your armor for the time being."

Or just make it an alt. drop?

Scroll of Holy Protection: Can be learned by Clerics/Paladins. Level Requirements = Level 25. Costs 50 mana to use. Casting this spells increases your armor by 50 ac for 5 minutes (I guess).  

Just an idea.  /shrug
IP Logged
Vengence

Email

« Reply #16 on: 02/13/04 at 00:10:14 »
Quote Quote

not bad
IP Logged
Deval
Australia 

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #17 on: 02/13/04 at 00:21:41 »
Quote Quote

Why would the gods be thankful that you slew Death?...
IP Logged

Angelic

Email

« Reply #18 on: 02/13/04 at 00:46:48 »
Quote Quote

I see it like...the Gods are 'Good' and Death is the evil that counters their goodness, so they'd be grateful if someone killed him/it.

You might not see it this way, and I'm sure you don't, but like I said, it's just an idea.
IP Logged
CPG
USA 

dude hit guy wif lol

VinzcentXS
View Profile WWW

« Reply #19 on: 02/13/04 at 00:48:45 »
Quote Quote

Killing Death is such a huge contradiction...

Just stop. Stop before I have to attempt to make it make sense to you and you'll hate me for it.
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Nightmist Online Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.