Nightmist Online Forum - http://www.nightmist-online.co.uk
« Nightmist Online Forum - New Class - Ship »
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
04/25/24 at 06:56:52

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register

Nightmist Online Forum
   Nightmist - Improving the game
   Nightmist Development
(Moderators: Stotic, JLH, Zephie, Pandilex)
   New Class - Ship
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: New Class - Ship  (Read 1474 times)
Raylen
England 

=)/¥\r.Ñ¡çÊ.Gû¥ (=

View Profile

New Class - Ship
« on: 12/15/03 at 23:24:54 »

Well seeing as we now have the port of Silversail, i figured it might be a nice idea to get some ships. Ships would basically be another crit - you see it in your account, but it is bought, not rolled. The other point would be that you can only log on one ship at a time - as many normal crits as you want with it, but not more than one ship.  

Your own crits will be able to use a ship for transport, and of course you would be able to lead a party onto your ship. Once on board the ship, the party would then become "invisible" - they cannot be seen from outside the ship (except for spyglass?). So to attack some people inside a ship, you would need to move your ship onto the same square as theirs, and then board the ship. Once a ship has been boarded, it cannot move until the boarders are repelled, or the crew are killed. If the crew are killed, i guess it would be unfair on them to give the "pirates" their ship, so the victors whould simply get whatever cargo is currently being carried by the ship, and the ship would be returned to the harbour.

Movement should be different to normal crits too - perhaps one stamina used per square. This would mean that different types of ship would have different levels of stamina and stamina restore rates. For example a small ship such as a barque would have 1 stamina, restored every 2-3 seconds, whereas a galley would have something like 3 stamina, but restored every 4-5 seconds (you have to rest the oarsmen).

Combat between ships would be possible, but they would have to use cannons, and i'm not sure if this fits in with the rest of the game. I'm also not quite sure how it could fit in with the boarding of ships as mentioned earlier, so i think it would be best to leave it out Wink

I can't decide if ships should be able to party up with each other or not. I suppose they should, as they would then simply become a fleet. But then is there any point in doing so, if they are unable to attack? It would also be possible to restrict the number of crits that can be on one ship at the same time, but i'm not sure that this would be entirely realistic, and could again lead to problems when you try to board a ship that is already full. In any case, how much room does one halfling ranger take up anyway?

The actual point of getting a ship - new continents/islands to explore, bulk trading of commodities like gold, spices, rare gems etc to other ports. One thing you would be able to do - for those who can't or don't want to buy their own ship, you would be able to buy passage to another main port, which would basically act as a teleport to that location. However, there should then be lots of other small islands that you would not be able to buy passage to, these islands could only be reached by those with their own ships.  
Future scenario :  
[Clan] Lil_Newbie: help im stuck in (name of far-off port) someone come get me!!
[Clan] Raylen sighed.

Needless to say, you could then put bosses/quests on these islands - some island village has been terrorised by an evil necromancer etc etc, you kill him and the villagers reward you with 1 cargo unit of xyz which you then go off to some port and sell. Except there could be another island village which has been desperate for xyz for years now, and if you go there they pay you with a scroll of devastate or something Grin

Also needless to say, adding to the game all that i have just described would take a rather large amount of time, and maybe the continent we already have should be finished before more are added. Anyway, your thoughts are appreciated on this, any obvious mistakes i've made etc.

Also, if anyone knows anything about old skool ships, it would help - basically i'd have a barque as a little cargo ship, a galleon as a big cargo ship, and a galley would be a fast ship with similar cargo capacity to the barque.
IP Logged

Page/memo Commotion
Vagabond
New_Zealand 

R€ñ€G@Ѐ

View Profile

Re: New Class - Ship
« Reply #1 on: 12/16/03 at 01:47:10 »

It would be chair as a fiddle....but i would hope that ships would cost 1mil gold+, i think maybe the ocean should be ridiculously large and so easy to get lost that the impatient give up very easily. There should also be maybe only a couple islands to start with with bosses who drop mediocre items..then 1 day add an extra island here and there with no bosses or anything...maybe a trap for a laugh. then 1 day slap down an island with a boss with a good drop outta nowhere till 1 day someone stumbles onto it.

Anyway would be alot of fun having a leaking Raft made outta beer cans in my account, and also alot of fun leading clannies to thier doom Wink I reckon if it's done correctly and not so tacky, and also doesnt give people with boats a HUGE edge over others, it'd be a hua of a tiki minta.
IP Logged

Vãg@BøÑd, THùÑЀ®J@, €XPØrT, ÑØM@Ð, CH@mP@Gñ€, JûGG€®Ñ@ÚT, Br€@K€R ingame
Raylen
England 

=)/¥\r.Ñ¡çÊ.Gû¥ (=

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: 12/23/03 at 17:35:46 »

So i have no replies (sorry jared but i did kinda tell you to post :p)

Any staff comment on the post? Any comment from anyone? lol

Cool
IP Logged

Page/memo Commotion
Spekkio
USA 

I didn't come here to fight... I came here to win!

Spekkio69   N/A
View Profile Email

« Reply #3 on: 12/24/03 at 00:22:28 »

I didn't read all of it (too lazy) but it does sound pretty cool.  Um... I don't think that it should be able to be boarded by outsiders, but it could be destroyed (hp = 0) by somebody that choses to attack it.  It should have like 1500 hp, and can be repaired at a repair dock, maybe?  There could be gear for it too, but it would have to be expensive.  Like iron shell increases its AB by 10, but cost like 20k to buy, and if the ship is destroyed the iron shell is also (repair at 15k).
IP Logged

God put me on Earth to accomplish many things. Right now, I'm so far behind that I will never die.
Gothic_Plague

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: 12/31/03 at 06:14:56 »

Dont forget serpent, the ships Viking used, very fast war ships. I love the idea of Pirates, make the game more interesting. If you get on the same square as a ship you wish to board it would be like hmmm, entering another suqare but that other square is on that boat. Like climbing up and down a ladder. Also for weapons you know, you can pay a staff to put weapons on it that adds to how many damages it takes, like paying a staff to put a "Clan monster" in a Clan house, so you can ahve ripping boards ~used on the side of the ship to scratch up the hull~ and so forth and so on.
IP Logged
Consumed
USA 

*:·®ÿåñ·:*

View Profile WWW

« Reply #5 on: 01/02/04 at 10:51:44 »

sounds kinda coo lol...but i wouldnt care if i didnt happen  Undecided
IP Logged

Cøñ§ümêd
Tatsu
England 

Tatsu, Kang, Syphon in game

View Profile

« Reply #6 on: 01/04/04 at 01:16:23 »

i would  Tongue

just imagine, a loada TR are in their big war galleon wandering around boarding ships and killing newbies....and then u get a massive party together and put it on a little fishing boat...they board u thinking ur just another buncha newbs, then *POW* TR on toast   Grin

this would be a much more interesting/exciting way to have fights because u can never be sure just who is on the other ship. also it would be another way to get between citys, newer players who dont know thier way could buy passage on ships to other towns, altho im not sure it should act as a teleporter.

you of course could make monsters in the sea (giant squid  Cheesy) which attack your ship, and enhancements you could buy at port could help u fight these possibly

anyway i think this would bring a whole new dimension to the game, and it might just satisfy all these newbs with 100s of archies and stop them from getting bored....
IP Logged

ooh-eeh-ooh-aah-ahh, ting-tang, walla-walla-bing-bang; ooh-eeh-ooh-aah-ahh, ting-tang-walla-walla-bing-bang. (repeat, with various arm and leg movements)
Vagabond
New_Zealand 

R€ñ€G@Ѐ

View Profile

« Reply #7 on: 01/07/04 at 12:47:37 »

on 01/04/04 at 01:16:23, Tatsu wrote:
i would  Tongue

just imagine, a loada TR are in their big war galleon wandering around boarding ships and killing newbies....and then u get a massive party together and put it on a little fishing boat...they board u thinking ur just another buncha newbs, then *POW* TR on toast   Grin

this would be a much more interesting/exciting way to have fights because u can never be sure just who is on the other ship. also it would be another way to get between citys, newer players who dont know thier way could buy passage on ships to other towns, altho im not sure it should act as a teleporter.

you of course could make monsters in the sea (giant squid  Cheesy) which attack your ship, and enhancements you could buy at port could help u fight these possibly

anyway i think this would bring a whole new dimension to the game, and it might just satisfy all these newbs with 100s of archies and stop them from getting bored....

They changed your medication or something?
IP Logged

Vãg@BøÑd, THùÑЀ®J@, €XPØrT, ÑØM@Ð, CH@mP@Gñ€, JûGG€®Ñ@ÚT, Br€@K€R ingame
Simulation
USA 

NO.. Dont talk, your gay

View Profile

« Reply #8 on: 01/07/04 at 18:56:36 »

Lol
IP Logged

«¤§îmülåtiðñ~Μĩşŧǻķęń¤»
Raylen
England 

=)/¥\r.Ñ¡çÊ.Gû¥ (=

View Profile

« Reply #9 on: 01/08/04 at 23:22:39 »

lol jared  Grin

Like i said, i'm not sure about combat between ships, as i can't see how ship-to-ship combat fits with boarding - what happens if you sink a full ship? Do some of the party survive by clinging to driftwood? Can you take prisoners? What happens if you attack a ship while some of your party have boarded it?

Hmm i guess i can answer some of my own questions...

If a full ship is sunk, then it could be random as to whether or not people drown or survive, and then the victors have a choice as to whether or not to pick up the survivors, and hold them hostage. Once held hostage, if the ship makes it back to port, the survivors are placed in the clan house dungeon  Cheesy

Of course, survivors could be freed by another party boarding the ship and killing the crew.  

And i would assume that if your ship sinks another ship while some of your crew have boarded it, they would return before it sunk, or maybe this could be another use for intel?!

Oh and /t consumed lol i thought that was the point of this forum - posting ideas that have little chance of reaching the game, but that sound kinda cool.  Cheesy Tongue

Heh just thinking i'd code this myself if i could but i'm too much of a noob Angry

Anyway keep posting! If i can drag this one out to a second page it might get more attention!  Grin
IP Logged

Page/memo Commotion
Id

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile

« Reply #10 on: 01/10/04 at 01:33:32 »

garrhh... think evil, think pirates  Cheesy
IP Logged

I told you we were facing the wrong way!
Don't underestimate the power of a dark clown.
-Trippin' the Rift-
Phatty

"Read me, and you shall laff!" -Jokebook 01/05/04

View Profile

« Reply #11 on: 01/20/04 at 03:20:52 »

they should make a giant boat u can buy thats a gillion gold , and then T.R. would get it and then put random ice bergs in the sea  Grin , "oh my god i think we have hit an iceberg" , ABANDON SHIP! Tadpole hops away onto a lilly pad. Kalypso fell off the ship and realized that she couldn't swim. Gaddy called for his Daddy. Boom dead , we are all happy hoooray!

J/k :-p
IP Logged

Traxy or Crook
Pages: 1  Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Nightmist Online Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.