Nightmist Online Forum - http://www.nightmist-online.co.uk
« Nightmist Online Forum - A developed idea - The Underworld »
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
05/06/24 at 06:17:19

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register

Nightmist Online Forum
   Nightmist - Improving the game
   Nightmist Development
(Moderators: Stotic, JLH, Zephie, Pandilex)
   A developed idea - The Underworld
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: A developed idea - The Underworld  (Read 683 times)
Foxie
Great_Britain 

Kortisimou
View Profile

A developed idea - The Underworld
« on: 08/01/03 at 17:24:32 »
Quote Quote

The Underworld

Story:
Deep below the ragged mountains curtained stalactites hang, the dwarves are digging for gold, lit by burning brand, in caves with frozen warterfalls, in a secret shaddowy land. This is the gloomy underworld where trolls and monsters lie; along the cavernous corridors echoing voices cry, as the blackest of lakes unfurls,with ripples that surge and sigh. A skeletal figure is waiting, waiting to row you now, in a boat made of waxen ribs with a skull at it's bony prow; a great clock hides his face. The boatman makes a sweeping bow. Do not step into the boat, do not take his offered hand, do not cross that black expanse to that shore of sifting sand, for this is the Underword, where only spirits can land, Run back along those tunnels, run back to the world of light, to a home that is warm and bright; leave the mountains to guard their spirits, and the will o' the wisp to the night. It was long ago a man named Esgaroth lived a cursed life, of cheating and murder. He collected followers and became greatly unpopular with many people, the loss of family and friends drove them to the brink of insanity, it was then the greatest murder plot began, but to cut a long story short, Esgaroth was killed, but his life didn't end there. Alone he created gloomy caverns, lakes and monsters whom craved the taste of blood. These caves were expolored by many men but none returned, Legend has it they were killed by gruesome monsters or the old man who resided the other side of the lake, who over time became called the Grim Reaper. Still the cause of great agony, dwarves, gnomes, half-orcs and all other races vowed to join forces in a quest to claim the grim reapers sythe and save the world from darkness.

This journey to cheat death would be only advised to levels 25+ in parties.

Task:
Parties entering the cavenous corridors below the mountains will have to kill the vermin who scuttle around the floor to find the skull, this should be given by the party leader to the Skeletal Figure as an offering in exchange for a ride to cross the black lake, entering the boat without a skull will cause instant death and alow the Skeletal Figure to take your soul, before leaving the boat the Skeletal Figure must be killed. The other side of the lake will form gloomy caverns where the Grim Reaper resides in a throne room deep in the shaddows (no directions will be shown) The Grim Reaper must be slayed and will drop (maybe alternatly) the Sythe of Souls, and the Braclet of Souls.  

Monsters for the area:

Cavenous Corridors & by the side of the lake:
Mutant Rats
Giant Rats
Skeletal Imps: The Skeletal Imp looks like the remains of a slain animal. The Imp carries a dagger in one hand, which slices your skin in the swiftest of moves
Black Widdow: The largest of all spiders the Black Widdow has eyes of back and the sharpest of bites poisioning the reciever.

Shallow Waters:
Small serpent: The coils writhe and unloop from the slime below, sliding scales gleam and fanged jaws steam poised to bite.
Snapper Turtles

The Boat:
Skeletal Figure: The Skeletal Figure is cloked in black, his hands empty, he looks to you for an offer of thanks and in return he takes to the oars.
Giant Rats

Gloomy Cavern:
Lost Souls: desc. to be done
Skeletal Imps
Vampire Bats
Shaddow Forms: desc. to be done

Boss:
Esgaroth (grim reaper) desc. to be done
Will say - You show great bravery coming here in free will, but this will not save your excuse for a soul!

Traps:
Entering the boat without offering the skull, will resort in instant death
Trap in the gloomy cavern (a dungeon)

Items:
Skull: desc. to be done
Sythe of Souls: Base damage: 26, Can be used by: fighters, thieves, berserkers, Description: The silver blade of the Sythe glistens in the sunlight, The wooden handle marked with blood. This weapon carries great danger to those who face it. Level needed to equip it: 25, Magical: No, Vamparic: No, Armor: 0, Strength modifier: 0, Intelligence modifier: 0, Dexterity modifier: 0, Constitution modifier: 0, Wisdom modifier: 0, Charisma modifier: 0, Poison chance: 0, Poison/30s damage: 0, Monster damage table: , Mana leech: .
Braclet of Souls: Armor base: 0, Can be worn by: clerics, druids, fighters, mages, paladins, rangers, thieves, pacifists, Description: This bracelt contains a small black stone heart the symbol of doom and death, the colour fades from the face to those who wear this. Level needed to equip it: 25, Strength modifier: 1, Intelligence modifier: 0, Dexterity modifier: 1, Constitution modifier: -1, Wisdom modifier: 0, Charisma modifier: -2.

Sample Descriptions  

------- Pages You from Corridor (Underground): damp in here

Corridor: You are surrounded by darkness, damp walls lurk in the shaddows. Your eyes strain to see you may continue to the East, West and North

You are lurking in the depths of the underworld. The cavernous corridor stretches before you, echoing voices screaming in fear are carried in the damp air. Rats and Spiders scuttle along the cold stone floor. On closer examination your eyes pick out scratches engraved on the slimy walls.

/examine: the scratches offer you a piece of advice, looking closley they read "turn around and flee."

------- Pages You from The Black Lake (Deep Underground): if only i had been taught to take the advice given to me.

Standing on the shores to The Black Lake you stand perplexed as a cold shiver runs down your spine. You can retreat to the South, and to the North you can see a boat.

You feel cold as the blackest of lakes unfurls, with ripples that surge and sigh. A Skeletal Figure is waiting to offer you a ride. Around you Skeletal Imps dance in the shaddows taunting you, your mouth opens to scream, but no sound escapes, only the wailing of pain is faintly heard in the distance.

------- Pages You from Throne Room (Gloomy Cavern Deep Underground): i fear for my soul

You stand in the throne room of Esgaroth himself. You cannot flee, you must face Esgaroth, or face death.

Esgaroth towers before you his sythe gripped firmly and swiftly swings in your direction. The black throne sits against a stone wall, a cage hangs from the wall, containing what looks like a deadly python. At the sound of crunching you glance down, the floor covered in an aray of human and animal bones. Giving you courage to fight.

**Edit: a few spelling mistakes i missed
IP Logged

There's no turning back now you've woken up the deamon in me!
Metatron
Northern_Ireland 

View Profile

Re: A developed idea - The Underworld
« Reply #1 on: 08/01/03 at 21:25:57 »
Quote Quote

once again nice idea you could give that boat dude a name i think there was one for the boatman that rowed ppl across the tiber to the under world in greek/roman mythology (cant tell you off the top of my head but itry and remeber it) also the scythe how about instead of theives it can be used by druids more of thier type of weapon could you imagine a theif assinating with it, i think and maybe a bit of vapiricism(couldnt find the right word) because the reaper takes  life and it seems to fit.
IP Logged

With ambitious aim against the throne and monarchy of God rais'd impious war in hev'n battle proud
~John Milton
Foxie
Great_Britain 

Kortisimou
View Profile

« Reply #2 on: 08/01/03 at 21:35:30 »
Quote Quote

yeup those would be better  Cheesy i will hav a look for another name, and the weapon will no doubt be changed it was just a rough idea ty 4 ur help ... (some of it i will prolly used for my english coursework)  Roll Eyes
IP Logged

Metatron
Northern_Ireland 

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: 08/01/03 at 22:19:30 »
Quote Quote

got this off some myths site hope it helps:-

The underworld itself was often called Hades. It was divided into two regions: Erebus, where the dead pass as soon as they die, and Tartarus, the deeper region, where the Titans had been imprisoned. It was a dim and unhappy place, inhabited by vague forms and shadows and guarded by Cerberus, the three-headed, dragon-tailed dog. Sinister rivers separated the underworld from the world above, and the aged boatman Charon ferried the souls of the dead across these waters.  

also if you need help thinking up names then this is good http://www.advancedfightingfantasy.com/namegenerators.htm the best one is namemage
IP Logged

With ambitious aim against the throne and monarchy of God rais'd impious war in hev'n battle proud
~John Milton
ChaosHound
USA 

'We traffic in Mockery'

Arwyl
View Profile Email

« Reply #4 on: 08/02/03 at 17:51:44 »
Quote Quote

Would very much like to see this done and put in.  Sounds like a great addition to the realm of NM.  Specially since there are already too many areas i can no longer go cuz i dont want to make any more low levels.( I am enjoying my many high level crits to much to start over!!!)  Smiley
IP Logged

"A foolish consistany is the hobgoblin of little minds."
Insomnia
Sweden 

View Profile

« Reply #5 on: 08/03/03 at 11:59:46 »
Quote Quote

Nice, but there's no idea in submitting anything. Me and Will has worked our *sses of on a pretty large area, getting everything done... just to hear that JLH says "no more areas"..
IP Logged

Fair enough.
Bun
United_Kingdom 

~¤ RôÇK§tåR§ ¤~

View Profile

« Reply #6 on: 08/03/03 at 17:58:01 »
Quote Quote

bracelet just a tiny bit to powerfull?
IP Logged

~¤ RôÇK§tåR§ ¤~
ChaosHound
USA 

'We traffic in Mockery'

Arwyl
View Profile Email

« Reply #7 on: 08/04/03 at 15:42:02 »
Quote Quote

NO MORE NEW AREASHuh?  That bites.
IP Logged

"A foolish consistany is the hobgoblin of little minds."
Foxie
Great_Britain 

Kortisimou
View Profile

« Reply #8 on: 08/04/03 at 22:23:26 »
Quote Quote

you want me 2 write more?! lol
IP Logged

Artemis

Samus, Jocasta ingame.

Derrogative   Derrogative
View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #9 on: 08/08/03 at 13:25:14 »
Quote Quote

the bracelet is a bit too strong.. try something that pandilex told me. Instead of trying to come up with some insane combination, just look at the ones that exist already and try to make something that isn't the same but doesn't give anymore of an advantage. (boss drop ones) Like Baron's Bracelet for instance. all it gives is +1 ac.. Maybe make one that gives 0ac & +1 charisma. It's a stat mod that really counts though so it'd have to be a low low drop rate. Unless ofcourse it takes about 2 hours to complete the area lol.

As for JLH saying "No more areas" that was heresay, and i'm sure future areas are being developed, it's just that all current area developers are working on project(s) and frankly JLH can't keep up with them between his busy schedule. Note that he has to review every monster, spelling error, link error etc before he can allow the areas to be opened. Think of how long this takes when the area is 300+ squares lol. Keep working on your idea, take your time. Time pays off.
IP Logged

Something has to change. Undeniable dilemma. Boredom's not a burden anyone should bear. Constant over stimulation numbs me and I wouldn't have it any other way.
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Nightmist Online Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.