Nightmist Online Forum - http://www.nightmist-online.co.uk
ォ Nightmist Online Forum - Mage Class Discussion サ
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
03/29/24 at 00:50:27

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register

Nightmist Online Forum
   Individual Class Discussion
   Mage Class Discussion
(Moderator: Pandilex)
   Mage Class Discussion
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Mage Class Discussion  (Read 2893 times)
Pandilex
Game Creator / Administrator
England 

Maneki Neko! (まねきねこ)

View Profile WWW Email

Mage Class Discussion
« on: 11/25/03 at 14:20:57 »
Quote Quote

To further improve the balance of classes in Nightmist, I'd like everyone who visits this forum to post, sensibly, what changes they believe should be made to mages. How are they overpowered? How are they underpowered?

I'd like information in great detail, and I'd also like to know how you think they weigh up against the other classes. Which other classes are more powerful? Why?

I need to know how I should change the class to improve it further. To make it easier, I'm asking everyone who has played or played againsit a mage to post their opinions.

To structure this thread better, I would like people to use bullet points to state each piece of information clearly.

If you agree or disagree with another person, simply state that you disagree with [this statement] because ____

If you don't stick to this I will delete your posts, regardless of their contents, because I need to be able to read the information easily, and it makes it much easier when I can see clearly which suggestions are favoured by the majority.
IP Logged

Every good writer has much idiom. --Landor

'If your dumb enough to share, we're not dumb enough to care' -Deval
Eternyte
Wales 

View Profile

Re: Mage Class Discussion
« Reply #1 on: 11/25/03 at 16:40:35 »
Quote Quote

1) Mana cost needs to be lower. Beam costs 17 mp to cast, and does about 40 damage. Divine restoration and Aid cost about 7/8mp and heal for about 50(paladins), 100(DR) and 80(Aid) for clerics. Healers out heal mages damage, making them useless.

2) Mage get fizzled much to much, I have experienced numerous round of fizzles/resists. Highly unlikely the amount of times it happens is bad luck.

3) More spells doing various things, I've posted numerous times on the forum about mages having a fairly fixed damage. Intelligence needs to effect damage more. As everyone uses a dexternity amulet, if 1int = 5 more damage, maybe mages would used an amulet that was designed for them.

4) AoP doesn't seem to filter out as many blows as it used to. Regularly rangers/berserkers hit full rounds, which didn't use to happen.

5) Make haste to boost mages stamina back to 5.

6) Gives mages the ability to make a whole party invisible for a period of time. Failing this because I know it would make PKing/Hit and Runs worse. Give them a party protect spell, where they would be unable to be attacked or attack for a short period of time. It would also tell the room when it wore off.

7) Change vortex gate. It's a very under used spell. It's only able to be used at bosses really. However takes you to Boar's Tusk, in Nightmist. When logging off takes you back to local. Maybe have it like the old Nightmist of transporting a party (Only to a place visited by the mage), but have it cost 50mp per party member. So only 6 players can be ported at any one time because the mages mana pool is restricted.

*Please note I have considered this class and information within from an unaided point of view*
IP Logged
Epic
USA 

Whammo

Ask
View Profile

« Reply #2 on: 11/25/03 at 19:56:37 »
Quote Quote

Now i dont own a mage of my own i just have access to an arch that the guy doesnt use no mo..

Mages mana cost just way to much for everything, you end up spending a nuts load of gold on mana for a mage to run around with and for the cost of their spells you run around with like 12 mana and 2 pots to heal with..cmon now

..PeAcE

Maybe have it so they can only cast invis on themselves..
IP Logged

Gangsta Gang Gang Gang Gang Gang Gangsta (walk)
Gang Gang Gang Gang Gang Gangsta (walk)
Gang Gang Gang Gang Gang Gangsta (do the gangsta walk)
Stotic
Nightmist Game Staff
USA 

We Can Rise

View Profile WWW

« Reply #3 on: 11/25/03 at 23:10:41 »
Quote Quote

on 11/25/03 at 19:56:37, Epic wrote:

Maybe have it so they can only cast invis on themselves..

I agree with that.

-Lower mana costs.
IP Logged

We'll douse ourselves in gasoline and hang our bodies from the lampposts.
Silex

Email

« Reply #4 on: 11/29/03 at 07:35:04 »
Quote Quote

-camo for druids isn't the same as for mages invis. dont take away their ability to make other crits invisible, it'll just make everyone go back to druid and thief hit and runs...i prefer the variety of people popping out of no where after me.

-lower mana costs

-make a spell that lets them increase their intel. for a period of time similar to enhance, but less int. increase, at arch for maybe int. x 1.15 or something like that...(if i am doing my math correct)...cast only on themselves of course, maybe like i suggested, spell named Enlightenment around lvl 15.

-give them a way to get from lvl 1 to lvl 10...honestly i dont think i will ever want to spend the ammount of time it takes me to make enough gold to buy an arch crit instead leveling a mage to 10.
IP Logged
alicia

View Profile

« Reply #5 on: 12/07/03 at 03:06:13 »
Quote Quote

mages making others invis is probably their only useful skill now

if they cant do that wot are they useful for? and dont say getting AoP scroll, ok you need a mage to get it, but the only reason you bring a mage there is to cast them 2 vortex gates, apart from that you just make the mage invisible all the time.. mages shoudnt be only useful 'coz u need one' it should be 'coz you WANT' one
IP Logged
Diagonyte

Hardly on(ingame): mostly on weekend nights.

sykoshealer
View Profile

« Reply #6 on: 12/09/03 at 15:16:28 »
Quote Quote

Mages need to get a spell before lvl 15 cause its a blip tryin to lvl with shock there hp sux but i guess its soposed to i agree with what Eternyte says about lowering the cost of mana been a while since i had i high lvl mage but i think they hould also have more spells besides just attack and the ones they have an effect to give a reason to play.Now ill go both ways with the invis thing 1. keep it the way it is 2. it'll mage things a bit more fun and easier to pk people ect. but seeing as my mages only lvl 11 ima shut up now :S (anyone wanna tell me a good place to train it Smiley)
IP Logged

There is no good or evil there is only power and those too weak to seek it.-Tom Marvolo Riddle(J.K.R.)
Diagonyte,syko_ s_healer,ludo_bagman,achilles,abra,da_wraith,inuyasha_sama
Melfice
United_Kingdom 

Minion of teh fluff!

View Profile Email

« Reply #7 on: 12/09/03 at 15:37:11 »
Quote Quote

Arilin forest with a party
IP Logged

Let me show you my real power!
Diagonyte

Hardly on(ingame): mostly on weekend nights.

sykoshealer
View Profile

« Reply #8 on: 12/11/03 at 15:32:09 »
Quote Quote

Thx

~Baker~
IP Logged

There is no good or evil there is only power and those too weak to seek it.-Tom Marvolo Riddle(J.K.R.)
Diagonyte,syko_ s_healer,ludo_bagman,achilles,abra,da_wraith,inuyasha_sama
Evilcloud
USA 

~~、*~ヒ\/」C」、ミ ~*、~~  マム GトMノ

View Profile WWW

« Reply #9 on: 12/20/03 at 07:52:57 »
Quote Quote

I dont think it would hurt to have a new spell for lvls 29 or 30 either... With all the fizzles and crap they could at least hit harder.
IP Logged

ア~キ.キ:*ィィ*、ヒ\/」C」、ミ、*ィィ*:キ.キ~ア
Jace_Risky
USA 

The war between us and the pkers will go on and on

View Profile

« Reply #10 on: 12/23/03 at 04:34:17 »
Quote Quote

I would have to say that they need more spells a bit early in training, for example, a spell that cause them to not fizzle as much, or an offense spell that they learn at lvl 5 or so called frost and other things related to the elements, fire, ice, water, wind, earth, just use your imagination.
IP Logged

There are no heroes amongst thieves and no thieves amongst heroes.
Monte
USA 

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #11 on: 01/09/04 at 05:18:25 »
Quote Quote

I don't mean to sound impatient, but how long do you suppose it's going to be before any changes are actually implemented? Something needs to be done about them aready. They're harder to lvl than any other crit, and for what? Spells that fizzle? And lets not forget the mighty Devestate that only a select few mages have gotten. Boy, I wish I were friends with Pandilex.... I believe that they should be more powerfull than other classes because they are harder to train. Not overpowered mind you, but something. Come on.
IP Logged

Monte or sephirothx ingame.
rebel_blaidd
Australia 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile

« Reply #12 on: 01/10/04 at 18:36:58 »
Quote Quote

what about some cantrips like a reward for leveling a mage mages have always been hard to level but say at lvl 5 you could get swarm or somethin that confuses an enemy for a couple of rounds or something i think all the classes need to have less big gaps between skills/spells
IP Logged
Admetus
USA 

Fo Shizzle Dizzle

View Profile Email

« Reply #13 on: 01/18/04 at 01:30:50 »
Quote Quote

I think mages are great and are my favorite crits to train . But a couple things really disturb me.

1. a zerker with high wiz (17-18_ lvl) 18+ can take out mages who r around lvl 25. I mean cmon Zerkers get SO MUCH HP and then they attack for SO MUCH. mages should have special dodge rates on zerkers cuz of low hp.

2. Mages hp suz ass. I mean they have about no armor max of like 48. i say you should have it that in an update according to a mages lvl they get a certain amount of hp say a lvl 30 mage before update has around 230 . IT will get like 100 hp while a vll 15 will not get as much cuz it will get increased hp from lvling after u[pdate.

3. If your not going to change the hp AT LEAST give mages more armor cuz i mean C'MON 48? my ranger has more and hes only like 20 atm. Plus the high lvl zerkers. its just way too negative for neone to make a mage. Give them more armor for example instead of golden cloak having 30 armor, increase it to 150 because they have so low hp they need about 2x as much protection as ne other class.Plus aura of protection is not as effective as it used to be (like eternyte said) which really makes mages bait for almost all characters ingame(exception of paci's,palladins, and clerics).

4. increase spell damage!!!!!!! almost all the people in nm have maxed out wiz. you barely hit for 70 nowadays on people so either like up the damage or lower the amounts of resists and damage lowering of a crits wisdom.
IP Logged

catch me on admetus/sharpshooter/sojiro
Eternyte
Wales 

View Profile

« Reply #14 on: 01/18/04 at 10:43:17 »
Quote Quote

I agree basicly with what your saying, armor should be increased slightly. However, at level 28 you get Aura of Protection, which increases your armor x 2.5 this isn't as effective as it once was though.

Even mages quest armor is the same as armor bought from shops, which I disagree with.

Would be nice for beam to hurt other races and classes at the same rate that is hurts pacifists, even with max wis of 20 at level 30, is does damage of about 70+, even though it's reflected to caster.
IP Logged
Snowy
Poland 

Freeze, aint it?

View Profile

« Reply #15 on: 01/18/04 at 15:33:29 »
Quote Quote

I ve seen SO MANY great ideas to improve mages, but still they SUCK!! and are hard to train, i m really suprised that nothing have been done to improve them. Never seen such a unbalanced class in any game.
IP Logged

Contact 'Snowy' in game.
CPG
USA 

dude hit guy wif lol

VinzcentXS
View Profile WWW

« Reply #16 on: 01/18/04 at 20:09:22 »
Quote Quote

Class development has been halted.
IP Logged

the Kiheitai

We're headstrong to take on anyone

weaselking123   weaselking123
View Profile Email

« Reply #17 on: 01/25/04 at 17:21:34 »
Quote Quote

-Mages do not need high HP. They survive by casting protection spells on them to avoid getting hit, they need higher mana pools to keep themselves alive, and if all else fails, a mage in a tough spot can cast invisibility on himself.

-Vortex Gate should be changed, it must be used on full stamina and drain 200 to max mana and can be used anywhere to transport the mage back to local. Mages are not designed to fight punch for punch, they are oppurtunists like thieves, and need to flee when necesary.

-Beam, at level 25 a mage attains his highest (currently) spell. It also cost 17 mana, which is just a bit high considering its their only offensive tool. Lower mana costs on most spells, like what was done with Clerics/Paladins heal, aid, DR.

-Stamina, it is hard as everything to train a mage to level 10 with only 1 stamina. Then you have to get to level 15, using the same measly 15 damage with shock, just so you can increase to a new spell. Then you still have 3 more levels before your 3rd stamina. A level 25 mage, with his best (currently) spell still only has 3 stamina, and unless under haste, regens 2. That cannot even compete with any other class out there.

-The point is a mage is not an all out offensive weapon, and needs to have more party friendly abilities to help boost their worth.  

Feel free to coment as you wish.
IP Logged

the Kiheitai: proud members of DRACO HONORIS...Represent
Snowy
Poland 

Freeze, aint it?

View Profile

« Reply #18 on: 01/25/04 at 17:52:42 »
Quote Quote

It would be nice if Vortex would be the way u say, altough make it so that when u cast it it gives a list of main towns and u chose one of them, so it wont be same as pacis spell, a bit better.
IP Logged

Contact 'Snowy' in game.
Xcelon
United_Kingdom 

You think I'm wierd? Go take a look in the mirror!

View Profile

« Reply #19 on: 02/02/04 at 12:44:05 »
Quote Quote

on 12/09/03 at 15:16:28, Diagonyte wrote:
Mages need to get a spell before lvl 15 cause its a blip tryin to lvl with shock

I agree, trying to lvl with shock is  Tongue. Mebbe we should have another offensive spell, at lvl 5 maybe?  
IP Logged

~Xcelon~Ajimoo~Slovak~Remake~Atlanta~ In Game.
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Nightmist Online Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB ゥ 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.