Nightmist Online Forum - http://www.nightmist-online.co.uk
« Nightmist Online Forum - Compensation »
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
05/03/24 at 11:18:31

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register

Nightmist Online Forum
   Individual Class Discussion
   Mage Class Discussion
(Moderator: Pandilex)
   Compensation
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Compensation  (Read 808 times)
Deval
Australia 

What one lacks in skill, he makes up for with alts

61207412 61207412   Death_Jester_King   HitCowsWithCars
View Profile WWW Email

Compensation
« on: 05/30/03 at 00:06:46 »
Quote Quote

It would appear that as Mages fall further and further into uselessness, they may need a little something. Now, I believe the problem with Mages, is a lack of compensation for thier weakness.

A mage has disgusting HP, and unless it has AoP, its not much more than a tattered mass of blood and spider staff after the first round. What I believe needs to be done, is to level out a benefit that equals their faillings.  

A mages 'weakness', is that he has low hp, and (excluding AoP), has totally turdulent armour, the problem is, there isn't anything really worthwhile on the mage to make up for these weaknesses. Whilst I'm not saying increasing damage is the answer, they certainly don't hit hard enough to justify this lack of defence and/or life and they can't make a great deal of cash to compensate for the lack of defence/life, as they usually end up costing more than they earn.

Uh... my brains just stopped... lets leave it there. If it kicks in again I will continue.
IP Logged

'Madness you say! Do you fear me? Are you afraid of what I might do, of what I might say? What a fascinating reaction. Don't you find it somewhat encumbering?'
Blast

Email

Re: Compensation
« Reply #1 on: 05/30/03 at 09:01:41 »
Quote Quote

hmm... i know what you mean, what i think they need is:
- just a LIL more HP, cuz i dont like journeyman zerkers rounding me...  
- REDUCING MANA COST FOR SPELLS!!! (like every spelll with 25% or something)
- and few new COOL spells, i dont mean more spells that just dmg, but like familiars or so dunno eh..
IP Logged
Eternyte
Wales 

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: 05/30/03 at 17:12:46 »
Quote Quote

on 04/04/03 at 09:17:18, Eternyte wrote:
Mages stamina is fine. It makes them harder to train, thus making a lot tougher at level 30.

In my opinion mages need a lower spells cost. With Beam costing 7mp, and Devastate when it arrives costing 10mp.

Also I would like to see numerous new spells to be added. Perhaps a party protecting spell i.e. Sanctuary.
A level 28 spell, Fireball...same damage as beam but in same fashion as rapid fire (would leave mage unable to move if he kills after 1 fireball, would also use the extra mana of 4 that were not needed.
I think mages need to be able to take on large parties by themselves, you could ague that due to mages cost, and difficulty of training this should be present anyway, however as I have stated before Nightmist is not like other rpg's where mages are the dominant class.
Also along with the taking on party theme, I think mages should be given a trial run with slow. Where the person casted on only gets 1 stamina regain for a short period of time. Can only be recasted after it were's off. When it does the person it's been casted on gets full stamina instantly.
I would also like to see Aura of Protection upped greatly. As Druids can out spell a mage which is just plain obscene.

I have many more ideas for mages, some I have already posted before. Things need to be done. Balance is one of the highly talked about topics within the realms, but it happens in the wrong way. If every class is balanced whats the point? In my opinion they should be balanced on the difficulty of training, and how much they cost to use.

on 04/29/03 at 22:07:05, Eternyte wrote:
I disagree with mages getting stamina earlier, as I like the difficulty mages are to train. However I do think at level 30 they should reap more rewards.

I dont think they need higher hp, or higher mp either. Although like I have stated in previous posts I think mana costs for spells should be lowered greatly.

Recently I have been thinking about mages from a more realistic point of view. This being that they are very feeble, and get hurt by damage greatly. However are extreamly devastating and powerful magic users.

I've been contemplating that Aura of Protection be changed very slightly, i.e. it is no longer a personal armor spell for the mages. Maybe it should be changed into a party protection spells, creating a force field or a magical aura around the party. This would be like a mass invisibility without the huge pking advantage as the party would still be visible just protected.

Then the main armor spell (if any at all is kept) would be mana shroud. This would give everyone a decent advantage of beating a mage. By rounding it or by other means, due to their lack of endurance.

This I feel should only happen if spell costs are lowered, thus mages could carry more needed pots in duels.

Then I would like to see other spells from other posts being implemented.
Slow, Vamparic spell, Mana leech wepon, Haste (changed so mage regains full stamina), square damaging spell (like devastate pre-reset), the changed Aura of Protection, and the major boss drop of the current devastate.

You might argue that these spells would overpower mages, but with their decreased armor they would be more suspect to critical hits. However, if the class attacking messes up they will be destroyed.
These spells would also enable mages to have a go at taking on parties, most people feel they should be able to do so. However, with that chance comes the fear of the party killing the mage, once again due to lower armor, therefore more likely to die.

This would also add to mages being more tactical in winning duels, instead of casting haste and armor, then beaming and hoping for the best.
In the hands of a good magical tactician the mage would be powerful, in another hands it would be useless.

What do you think?

on 03/10/03 at 12:04:57, Eternyte wrote:
Ok recently myself and numerous other mage users have posted about the amount of times that mages fizzle, get resisted, counter spelled, and get partially resisted

Ok you could argue that mages are the most reliable class, but it seems to be that the word "Luck" doesnt play much part in it.
Quite regularly I have done round of no damage what to ever, and lets face it....would an expert magic users ever really get resisted, or fizzle. I think not.

More and more classes are becoming able to take on mages, even with Aura casted.
For example Paladins and Clerics can rip a mage apart without trying to hard. Especially when they heal for more then beam does to them, and uses less stamina (per round of dmg, per that of heal) and mp....and they fizzle a lot less, and how often do you see a heal resisted.

Mages seem to have too many variables in their spell casting in recent times.
With the recent introduction of Berserkers, them to with no armor have the upper hand on mages. For instance...an Arch gnome mage would beam an Arch dwarf Zerk for about 53, however the zerk has 500hp, and apparently Smite ignores armor class. Even so the zerk's hp is double that of the mages, which makes them yet another nemesis.

You could say yes with 22 dex and 130ac, Rangers, Fighters and Druids miss Mages a lot. However, with Clerics stat enhances they pretty much take mages apart also.
Mages dont get any enhancers that boost their damage.

I for one am eagerly awaiting Devastate, but I feel it has been a very long time in coming, in comparison with Divine Restoration, which has been out for many months now.

Yes perhaps I am a main mage user, and perhaps I wish for mages to have the upper hand, but that is the way it should be, and the way it always has been.

For the people who dont own mages I will try to enlighten you as to why you dont have one.
1. They are very difficult to level, perhaps not to much at lvl 25+, but until then they take a long time.

2. They cost a lot to train, buying enough mana, and pots to sustain them until you reach a high level costs you fortune.

3. Maybe now because other classes seem to have the upper hand over them, people no longer need mages, except maybe for vortex and invis.

I havent thought about how I would fix this problem, but maybe a lower cost of mana for spells. Or a lower resist/counter spell/fizzle rate. Maybe spells could vary from class to class, as well as wisdom (if its possible), e.g. Berserker with 18 wis gets Beam for 70, whereas a Fighter with 18 wis gets beamed for 55, or something along those lines.
Maybe even spells to increase intelligence and wisdom, to increase defence and offense.

Please post your opinions, but preferably if you have the use of a high level mage that you use regularly, so you know what your talking about, and not making subjective comments because you feel your only level 30 crit should be the best.

Thanks!!  Grin

Would have typed it all out again, but d**n I'm lazy. I totally agree with what your saying Deval.
IP Logged
Premo
USA 

its better to burn out then to fade away

Lappa34
View Profile

« Reply #3 on: 05/31/03 at 07:26:45 »
Quote Quote

mages should be the most powerful bc they are hardest to train, and the fact they possess the most "ability"  mage at lvl 15 quickly became my favorite class, and now i have lvl 27... im working very quickly to 28, and soon like a month or so, lvl 30....  i love mages, they are so much fun to use... if only they had a better hp or dmg--class ratio....

is such a good idea, dont know why jlh couldnt figure it out, im hopin we give him an idea, and as for devestate... oooo man i cant wait.
IP Logged

freebird/premo in game
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Nightmist Online Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.