Nightmist Online Forum - http://www.nightmist-online.co.uk
« Nightmist Online Forum - Thieves are not Thieves. »
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
03/28/24 at 22:19:07

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register

Nightmist Online Forum
   Individual Class Discussion
   Thief Class Discussion
(Moderator: Pandilex)
   Thieves are not Thieves.
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Thieves are not Thieves.  (Read 1013 times)
Everlast
Nightmist Game Staff
USA 

Örïgïnål Prånk§tër

View Profile

Thieves are not Thieves.
« on: 12/30/03 at 11:35:01 »
Quote Quote

I don't know for sure about everyone in game, however not a single person in any clan i've ever been in has ever really used steal to steal from people.  You steal from monsters, thats just training or making quick gold by pissing off desert trainers.

I think that the ability 'steal' should be changed.  Make it steal more from people and miss less often or something.

A few of us were having a disscussion where we all pretty much agreed they ought to be able to-

See what people have in their inventory.

See how much gold a person/monster is carrying.

Steal items in inventories. (this one is a tad tricky)

Problems with stealing items are basically- People sitting at a boss waiting for it to be killed, then stealing right away from them.  That would be idiotic.

I think it is reaonable to say that most people don't leave town with expensive items in their inventories.  If they do maybe they need them to be stolen to teach them not to.

Personally, I would probably still just kill people if i were going to steal from them.  That is why i think 'steal' should miss FAR less on crits.  Anyone else have this problem where they attack people and the people log so ****ing fast you lag a little from the pic changes in your alts' boxes?  That is where this would be helpful, an actual thief instead of an assassin.  Steal without being noticed so people wont log or run away, or even have a d**n clue whats up til it is far too late, unless they're paying attention well (when successful they should not be told they've been stolen from).

Please read the whole post before flamming me.
 I realize people have disputed item theft in the past, and for good reasons.  However,  I think it should be-

Make thieves stealing abilities effective.
or
Re-name the class as Assassins.
IP Logged

Everlast is the voice of reason, take heed, take heed. -Deval Feb. 4, 2004

Find me on Gaddy.
CPG
USA 

dude hit guy wif lol

VinzcentXS
View Profile WWW

Re: Thieves are not Thieves.
« Reply #1 on: 12/30/03 at 19:34:17 »
Quote Quote

You could get some nice opinions on this from dognapot.

I think it would be really cool to make them a solo class. Since when do 5+ loners by nature go around in parties? You can't assassinate someone effectively with a lot of people in the room.

The only way I can see justifying the stealing from inventory is if they were a solo class. Otherwise, it would just be ridiculous.

I agree that stealing from players is extremely hard. The payoff usually isn't worth it. You get seen far too much. Also, on the issue of stealing, I think that all bosses should be non-stealable.
IP Logged

Stotic
Nightmist Game Staff
USA 

We Can Rise

View Profile WWW

« Reply #2 on: 12/30/03 at 20:14:51 »
Quote Quote

I agree with Gaddy on everything he said.
IP Logged

We'll douse ourselves in gasoline and hang our bodies from the lampposts.
Everlast
Nightmist Game Staff
USA 

Örïgïnål Prånk§tër

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: 12/31/03 at 00:54:42 »
Quote Quote

on 12/30/03 at 20:14:51, Stotic wrote:

Smiley
IP Logged

Find me on Gaddy.
Sausage
USA 

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: 01/03/04 at 05:29:42 »
Quote Quote

on 12/30/03 at 20:14:51, Stotic wrote:

IP Logged

-=-§Äû§ÅGÉ-=-
dognapot
USA 

rock over london, rock on chicago

View Profile

« Reply #5 on: 01/04/04 at 01:07:54 »
Quote Quote

people don't steal now because of several reasons.

1. they can't steal alot. you only get a little bit of what's in a guy's pockets.

2. you can't steal often. you can only steal a handfull of times consecutively. no matter how much you practice.

3. you never know if it's even worth risking your hide. lots of people don't carry a bunch of cash on them for than a few seconds outside of town, and it's usually on a player that can't interact with any real thief. people use lvl 4 crits as purses basically.

some things can be done to make thieves start thieving...

1. increase the amount a thief can steal and thier enhance thier ability to do so. in a smaller, older, nightmist thieves were that way and i know very well that they made use of thier abilities. there was a thief named goddess that made a reputation for him/herself by just robbing people and only at lvl 21.

2. i suggested this long ago, but allow thieves to see how large a person's purse is. thieves could look over the potential victim and see that he has a large purse attached to his belt and proceed accordingly. likewise, a small purse is also worth noting; i don't think a thief wants to waste time on the poor.

3. make stealing possible regardless of level. all levels, 1-30 should be susceptible to being robbed. baby crits aren't made to be your purse. if you happen to be a low level or don't think that it's fair, then get wise, you don't have to carry your life savings on your epic journeys and if you've trained for the last 12 hours and collected a large sum... it might be time to go to the bank. it's related to the alt thing i keep ragging on, but seriously, it's like stuffing cocaine up a dog's ass. a lvl 4 thief isn't made for the purpose of holding your spoils out of everyone's reach, just like a dog's innards weren't designed to fool customs agents.
IP Logged

Under blue moon I saw you
So soon you`ll take me
Up in your arms
Too late to beg you or cancel it
Though I know it must be the killing time
Unwillingly mine
Everlast
Nightmist Game Staff
USA 

Örïgïnål Prånk§tër

View Profile

« Reply #6 on: 01/04/04 at 01:32:24 »
Quote Quote

Lmfao, I agree with what Dognapot said, even the cocaine trickery part.  Undecided  Wink  Roll Eyes

I think looking at a person's inven/purse is definatly something that should be added to game.  A thief would be able to do it...if not almost any class, but a thief should have the ability, there is no way it wouldn't.
IP Logged

Find me on Gaddy.
Haunted
Virgin_Islands 

Exit the dreams of full remorse

View Profile

« Reply #7 on: 01/04/04 at 02:11:35 »
Quote Quote

I think it should be a level 30 ability only.(Auto-Learns when you reach level 30)
IP Logged

Sature the souls of a virgin land.
A nation on its knees by its own naive
beliefs. Feasting on the flesh of our starving
who­re. Idly looking on as it bites once
more.
alone

My beautiful escape. Fall from pain. My suicide.

View Profile Email

« Reply #8 on: 01/04/04 at 02:25:07 »
Quote Quote

on 01/04/04 at 01:07:54, dognapot wrote:
3. make stealing possible regardless of level. all levels, 1-30 should be susceptible to being robbed. baby crits aren't made to be your purse. if you happen to be a low level or don't think that it's fair, then get wise, you don't have to carry your life savings on your epic journeys and if you've trained for the last 12 hours and collected a large sum... it might be time to go to the bank. it's related to the alt thing i keep ragging on, but seriously, it's like stuffing cocaine up a dog's ass. a lvl 4 thief isn't made for the purpose of holding your spoils out of everyone's reach, just like a dog's innards weren't designed to fool customs agents.

I suggested that back when the level restriction was first put in, and I was shot at from every angle. Basicly people saying 'Why be able to steal, when they can't fight back', which is true.

Appart from that, i agree with everything else.
IP Logged

dognapot
USA 

rock over london, rock on chicago

View Profile

« Reply #9 on: 01/04/04 at 15:03:45 »
Quote Quote

yeah, well i bitched like hell about that level thing being added too.
IP Logged

Under blue moon I saw you
So soon you`ll take me
Up in your arms
Too late to beg you or cancel it
Though I know it must be the killing time
Unwillingly mine
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Nightmist Online Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.