Nightmist Online Forum - http://www.nightmist-online.co.uk
ォ Nightmist Online Forum - Knoppix linux サ
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
05/15/24 at 12:31:36

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register

Nightmist Online Forum
   Nightmist Online - Please read the terms of use before posting here
   Technical Support
(Moderators: JLH, Pandilex)
   Knoppix linux
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Knoppix linux  (Read 540 times)
Issy
USA 

I am Alpha and Omega; the first and the last

67662135 67662135   Isaiah213   Issyfur
View Profile

Knoppix linux
« on: 12/17/03 at 23:57:42 »
Quote Quote

At the current moment, i've  been doing alot of experimenting With Linux Knoppix (Linux operating system that you can run hot off of a CD.)

And i'm expecting the answer to be 'No' but can Nightmist run off of LinuxHuh
IP Logged

And he had in his right hand seven stars: and out of his mouth went a sharp twoedged sword: and his countenance was as the sun shineth in his strength.
JLH
Game Creator / Administrator
United_Kingdom 

View Profile WWW Email

Re: Knoppix linux
« Reply #1 on: 12/18/03 at 02:02:10 »
Quote Quote

yes, via a windows emulator
IP Logged

Anything i post on here is subject to change at any time without notification to the board.
Issy
USA 

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: 12/18/03 at 02:24:28 »
Quote Quote

Wouldn't it be rather redundant for me to download an emulator when i can just reboot and be in windows?  Undecided
IP Logged

And he had in his right hand seven stars: and out of his mouth went a sharp twoedged sword: and his countenance was as the sun shineth in his strength.
Pandilex
England 

Maneki Neko! (まねきねこ)

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #3 on: 12/19/03 at 03:29:19 »
Quote Quote

on 12/18/03 at 02:24:28, Issy wrote:
Wouldn't it be rather redundant for me to download an emulator when i can just reboot and be in windows? Undecided

Yes, Linux is the most pointless operating system invented.
IP Logged

Every good writer has much idiom. --Landor

'If your dumb enough to share, we're not dumb enough to care' -Deval
Issy
USA 

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: 12/19/03 at 11:12:40 »
Quote Quote

on 12/19/03 at 03:29:19, Pandilex wrote:

Yes, Linux is the most pointless operating system invented.

Consider how knoppix is ran (decompressing everything off the CD whenever you want to run an app.) it runs fairly smooth and fast.

I don't think it is the most pointless operating system, as i think it has a lot of nice programs.

Its not Windows though...
IP Logged

Kalel
USA 

View Profile WWW

« Reply #5 on: 12/20/03 at 19:49:41 »
Quote Quote

hate to do it pandi but ur so wrong.... not every thing in the world runs of windows... don't get me wrong windows xp is a great system but the reason web sites run linux type servers is becuse they can run for so long and not have many problems I'm shure windows can too but then agine microsoft has been leaning twords some of linux stuff so where is the logic in that?

feel free to corrcet me I know some one is gona Smiley
IP Logged

http://www.venom-gaming.com
JLH
United_Kingdom 

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #6 on: 12/20/03 at 20:04:10 »
Quote Quote

I was pleased at work a few days ago when i went out on a callout to a business to find their server (which i built 2 years ago) had been up for 290 days, pity i had to reboot it Sad It was running windows 2000 server.
Linux is used probably because it came out first, and was (and still is generally) free, in a default installation, it is more secure than the average windows machine. also, linux can be customized totally, because you can actually see the code, windows, you can't tho, you are reliant on microsoft to get it right.
I prefer windows tho as it actually does stuff without hours of faffing about.
IP Logged

Anything i post on here is subject to change at any time without notification to the board.
Kalel
USA 

View Profile WWW

« Reply #7 on: 12/20/03 at 20:06:53 »
Quote Quote

well thats pretty much it then every thing has its pros and cons eh? Long Live Microsoft!
IP Logged

Issy
USA 

View Profile

« Reply #8 on: 12/20/03 at 21:59:37 »
Quote Quote

Last year my school servers ran for 384 days without any error or any problems, then we replaced them with new servers over the summer.

Windows XP IS a bad operating system, as i have more problems with it then i had with the 2k systems. Win2k is by far the best operating system i've ever seen run efficiently days, months on end.
IP Logged

Oracle
Nightmist Game Staff
United_Kingdom 

Tweeeeeeeeee

msn+=+Oracle_nightmist@msn.com   FnkBunny
View Profile Email

« Reply #9 on: 12/20/03 at 22:24:20 »
Quote Quote

I've been using xp home edition for over a year and a half. I have not had any problems with it except networking. I've tried everything and even the support line wont help. 'We don't support networking with home edition, you need xp professional for that'. So other than that, it has been fine for me although because of that I am upgrading to 2k in a few weeks. Hmm... Thinking back, would that be degrading to 2k? lol
IP Logged
Issy
USA 

View Profile

« Reply #10 on: 12/20/03 at 22:39:34 »
Quote Quote

on 12/20/03 at 22:24:20, Oracle wrote:
I've been using xp home edition for over a year and a half. I have not had any problems with it except networking. I've tried everything and even the support line wont help. 'We don't support networking with home edition, you need xp professional for that'. So other than that, it has been fine for me although because of that I am upgrading to 2k in a few weeks. Hmm... Thinking back, would that be degrading to 2k? lol

With this machine, and the machines at school. I get a lot of Memory Allocation errors, normally after I do big software installs or upgrades, i get a lot of driver issues, especially with the old equipment.

There are 6 machines at school with Home Edition, and my supervisor got the network to work on them, after my buddy and i spent over 14 hours on it.  Undecided
IP Logged

Oracle
Nightmist Game Staff
United_Kingdom 

Tweeeeeeeeee

msn+=+Oracle_nightmist@msn.com   FnkBunny
View Profile Email

« Reply #11 on: 12/20/03 at 22:48:25 »
Quote Quote

I see, well I am 'converting' to 2k soon anyway Smiley
IP Logged
Kalel
USA 

View Profile WWW

« Reply #12 on: 12/21/03 at 09:11:34 »
Quote Quote

xp is just a more updated version of 2k its all part of the same kernal.... we had this discussion some time ago

Edit:

I tryed this cd version of linux and it seems to work pretty good except my on bord network interface dosn't seem to work so I can't get on line but other then that pretty cool...
IP Logged

Pandilex
England 

Maneki Neko! (まねきねこ)

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #13 on: 12/21/03 at 10:05:48 »
Quote Quote

on 12/21/03 at 09:11:34, Fujin wrote:
xp is just a more updated version of 2k its all part of the same kernal.... we had this discussion some time ago

Edit:

I tryed this cd version of linux and it seems to work pretty good except my on bord network interface dosn't seem to work so I can't get on line but other then that pretty cool...

XP has a cornucopia of features that 2k is missing, network bridging being one of the most useful for businesses, and Remote Desktop being the most useful for me.
IP Logged

Every good writer has much idiom. --Landor

'If your dumb enough to share, we're not dumb enough to care' -Deval
Lavalamp
New_Zealand 

゚遒

View Profile Email

« Reply #14 on: 12/21/03 at 10:34:55 »
Quote Quote

on 12/21/03 at 10:05:48, Pandilex wrote:

XP has a cornucopia of features that 2k is missing, network bridging being one of the most useful for businesses, and Remote Desktop being the most useful for me.

lol Simon, hacking peoples computers are we? Tongue bad boy
IP Logged

Dunkler_Engel/Healer/Cylena/Kalee/Tolv/Meadow/Charisma/Dark_Elfen_One/Emerge/ + A lot more
Issy
USA 

View Profile

« Reply #15 on: 12/21/03 at 14:33:58 »
Quote Quote

on 12/21/03 at 09:11:34, Fujin wrote:

Edit:

You can open hardware druid and it'll find the card, then do a network install druid, and it'll find the network.
IP Logged

Kalel
USA 

View Profile WWW

« Reply #16 on: 12/25/03 at 08:03:31 »
Quote Quote

I did that and it couldn't find a network card... I have a on bord lan connection so I dunno every thing else seems to work fine... dons't support dule monitors eather it seems but other then that pretty cool
IP Logged

Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Nightmist Online Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB ゥ 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.