Nightmist Online Forum - http://www.nightmist-online.co.uk
« Nightmist Online Forum - Rangers »
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
03/29/24 at 05:34:59

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register

Nightmist Online Forum
   Nightmist - Improving the game
   Improvements
(Moderators: Stotic, JLH, Pandilex)
   Rangers
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Rangers  (Read 2562 times)
Wisdom
USA 

All a board

View Profile

Rangers
« on: 01/24/04 at 21:44:00 »
Quote Quote

Rangers need both hands to work a bow.  One hand to hold the bow and the other to pull back on the string.  Removing the shield is a must, reallisticly do you really think a ranger could pull back on a string with a shield around his arm?  

Rapid fire, realisticly rangers shot a singal arrow so removing rapid fire should be done too.  But to give the ranger a better chance of hitting offten he as to be smart and wise.  Intel and wisdom will be a big factor in helping a ranger aim and hit often.

I know something similar was posted in the past about this, but I didn't feel like posting on an old post.

IP Logged
alone

My beautiful escape. Fall from pain. My suicide.

View Profile Email

Re: Rangers
« Reply #1 on: 01/24/04 at 21:45:57 »
Quote Quote

As you said, it's been said before. Not sure previously, but there weren't any plans for change that I could remember. And really, changing it straight up now, would unbalence the classes more.
IP Logged

Detheroc
United_Kingdom 

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: 01/24/04 at 22:23:52 »
Quote Quote

on 01/24/04 at 21:44:00, Wolfvirus81 wrote:
Rapid fire, realisticly rangers shot a singal arrow so removing rapid fire should be done too.  But to give the ranger a better chance of hitting offten he as to be smart and wise.  Intel and wisdom will be a big factor in helping a ranger aim and hit often.

What were you smoking when you made this post? Rapid fire doesn't shoot two arrows at once. They just fire it quickly, hence the name 'rapid fire'.

Dual shot is also ok... I expect that a skilled ranger in a fantasy world could fire two arrows at once easily.  

I do agree with your comment on bows though. I also think the same applies with halberds. It's a two handed weapon, so bye bye shield.
IP Logged
Oz
USA 

x_bulldogdan_x  
View Profile Email

« Reply #3 on: 01/24/04 at 23:42:43 »
Quote Quote

Yet some shields are able to be strapped onto the arm leaving the hand free for other tasks.  Roll Eyes

Why worry bout whats on your arm when you don't even wear pants that would protect your family jewels?
IP Logged

Oz untill all my crap is sold...them i'm blowing this popsicle stand.
Lavalamp
New_Zealand 

ßëç¢ð

View Profile Email

« Reply #4 on: 01/25/04 at 02:00:12 »
Quote Quote

on 01/24/04 at 23:42:43, Oz wrote:
Yet some shields are able to be strapped onto the arm leaving the hand free for other tasks.  Roll Eyes

Why worry bout whats on your arm when you don't even wear pants that would protect your family jewels?

lmfao so true about the pants thing Tongue as someone said a while ago, imagine what a bottomless male fighter running around carrying a halberd and stuff with his wanger flopping about...+o( or a nakey zerker running around with nothing but a weapon.. pretty scary stuff  Undecided
IP Logged

Dunkler_Engel/Healer/Cylena/Kalee/Tolv/Meadow/Charisma/Dark_Elfen_One/Emerge/ + A lot more
CPG
USA 

dude hit guy wif lol

VinzcentXS
View Profile WWW

« Reply #5 on: 01/25/04 at 18:12:27 »
Quote Quote

If you could actually fire 5 arrows in a couple milliseconds like Rangers in this game do, your muscles would explode and your bones would break.
IP Logged

Detheroc
United_Kingdom 

View Profile

« Reply #6 on: 01/25/04 at 18:14:07 »
Quote Quote

Yes, but you see this game isn't realistic. Hence the spells, mana, hit points, monsters etc
IP Logged
Everlast
Nightmist Game Staff
USA 

Örïgïnål Prånk§tër

View Profile

« Reply #7 on: 01/26/04 at 23:59:01 »
Quote Quote

I agree with this simply because i think rangers are a little over-powered.  Removing shields wouldn't lower their armor by too much, but it would cause it to be lower, which only makes sense.  I find it very annoying that a ranger with the ability to 1 click anything in game with full spells on it can also have as much armor as a fighter.

I'm not one to push for the game to be more realistic, i really don't care that much.  I don't play the game to think hard or be serious or realistic, but i do think rangers ought to have less armor.
IP Logged

Everlast is the voice of reason, take heed, take heed. -Deval Feb. 4, 2004

Find me on Gaddy.
Deval
Australia 

What one lacks in skill, he makes up for with alts

61207412 61207412   Death_Jester_King   HitCowsWithCars
View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #8 on: 02/04/04 at 02:45:54 »
Quote Quote

on 01/24/04 at 23:42:43, Oz wrote:

That would be called a buckler, and no, rangers should not be able to use a shield 'AT ALL'. Common sense dictates this.
IP Logged

'Madness you say! Do you fear me? Are you afraid of what I might do, of what I might say? What a fascinating reaction. Don't you find it somewhat encumbering?'
Ril<l<u

»(¯`v´¯)°« RíKkù »°(¯`v´¯)«

RikkuSugah
View Profile Email

« Reply #9 on: 02/04/04 at 02:50:54 »
Quote Quote

if u are complaining about rangers being to click everything, are u going to start saying thieves shouldnt be able to use assassinate?  and does it really matter anyways, because if pkers are going to hit u they are probably hitting u with more than one crit anyways..

The ranger armor is just fine, if u dun like rangers killing u and what not, make a ranger and train it once, see how much fun u have doing that.

thats my 2 cents *if that* =)
IP Logged

..........»½«(¯`v´¯)(¯`v´¯)»½«..........
.·º°--»½«²Çåt¢h mé ðñ €ì£ðñWý
Deval
Australia 

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #10 on: 02/04/04 at 02:53:35 »
Quote Quote

Woah... what the hell are you talking about? Major subject jump there...

MODIFY:

Something that I had suggested in January last year is still a very valid idea:

on 01/28/03 at 01:30:56, Deval wrote:
Idea:

If you want to remove the shield off the ranger it could replaced with a 'Metal Splint' or 'Wooden Splint' etc.
Basically it is a length of contoured metal or wood that is strapped to the forearm (of the hand that loads the bow) for defense purposes, thus not requiring the use of the hand to wield it. AR would have to be significantly lower than say, that of a fighter or paladins shield, due to the fact it offers alot less protection, and having a halberd slamming down into your forearm would not be without pain and some form of bruising/damage.

« Last Edit: 02/04/04 at 03:16:03 by Deval » IP Logged

'Madness you say! Do you fear me? Are you afraid of what I might do, of what I might say? What a fascinating reaction. Don't you find it somewhat encumbering?'
Everlast
Nightmist Game Staff
USA 

Örïgïnål Prånk§tër

View Profile

« Reply #11 on: 02/04/04 at 06:39:05 »
Quote Quote

on 02/04/04 at 02:50:54, Ril<l<u wrote:
if u are complaining about rangers being to click everything, are u going to start saying thieves shouldnt be able to use assassinate?  and does it really matter anyways, because if pkers are going to hit u they are probably hitting u with more than one crit anyways..

The ranger armor is just fine, if u dun like rangers killing u and what not, make a ranger and train it once, see how much fun u have doing that.

thats my 2 cents *if that* =)

Looks to me like you're talking about what i said about them being overpowered...

1.  If i were complaining about things being able to pk me, i would just go ahead and quit nightmist.  Things should be able to kill me in the d**n game.  If i wanted a class changed because they could kill things too easily i would go on a thread and complain about berzerkers with spells on rather than rangers, who don't deal quite as much damage to armored crits.

2. Rangers have hp that is really high now, some reaching over 300 on 18 cons.  They do 2nd most damage per round, if not the most when you consider how often a zerker misses.  They have the highest or equal to the highest (depending on race) armor out of all of the classes w/o spells casted.
If you can tell me how that isnt just a little over-powered i'll listen, but saying they're hard to train isn't something i consider a reasonable thing.

3. I do have rangers...3 arch halfling ones and a human 6 mil from master they are quite nice ones too.  I don't want my crits to become weaker all of the sudden, but i realize that they are probably stronger than they ought to be when compared to other classes.  They are not THAT hard to train.  They infact might be the easiest thing to train from lvl 25 and up other than clerics and pacifists.  pregnant doges to train from 1-23, but after that they are not all that bad imo.

IP Logged

Find me on Gaddy.
Raven
Australia 

Lasden In Game

View Profile

« Reply #12 on: 02/05/04 at 08:14:20 »
Quote Quote

basing their chance to hit on intell and wisdom is just stupid
the shield should go but they should be able to were stuff like bucklers and steel bracers
IP Logged

Swift, swift, you dragons of the night, that dawning
May bear the raven's eye
porter
USA 

Reality is a fragment inside of my soul

View Profile

« Reply #13 on: 02/05/04 at 17:31:59 »
Quote Quote

i think all the class are ok. mess with them more and they will get more  messed up Grin  and i dont think people want to wait 2 yr. for a update
IP Logged

My rendition of reality, call it bad or good-wrong or right-believe in me and i'll believe in you, and everything's tight. Reality is a fragment inside of my soul-my eyes are closed-head spinning
Everlast
Nightmist Game Staff
USA 

Örïgïnål Prånk§tër

View Profile

« Reply #14 on: 02/05/04 at 17:47:56 »
Quote Quote

on 02/05/04 at 08:14:20, Raven wrote:
basing their chance to hit on intell and wisdom is just stupid
the shield should go but they should be able to were stuff like bucklers and steel bracers

when did anyone suggest basing their chance to hit by int and wis?  If someone did then it is the dumbest idea i've heard in a long long while...
IP Logged

Find me on Gaddy.
Snowy
Poland 

Freeze, aint it?

View Profile

« Reply #15 on: 02/05/04 at 18:49:21 »
Quote Quote

porter, mages are not ok
IP Logged

Contact 'Snowy' in game.
Deval
Australia 

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #16 on: 02/06/04 at 00:30:09 »
Quote Quote

on 02/05/04 at 08:14:20, Raven wrote:

See my post above.
IP Logged

Bean
Canada 

I can be your angel, I can be your saviour

View Profile

« Reply #17 on: 02/13/04 at 07:20:28 »
Quote Quote

To buddy who said you can't logically fire two arrows at once with accuracy....

Wanna come down to an archery range and bet some money on that?

As for the rapid firing blowing up your muscles, and breaking your bones... Well thats a tad extreme, but yeah you would'nt be able to shoot that fast lol...

I know a guy who can shoot 4 arrows in 8 seconds If they are sitting on a table in front of him.... but other than that.... meh...

ANYWHO, I agree with deval mostly.... Toodles

IP Logged

Chars: Bean, Kulidian, Elka, Elerabin *All four currently being leveled*
Silverwizard
Canada 

The Great And Powerful Wizard

View Profile

« Reply #18 on: 02/13/04 at 15:50:57 »
Quote Quote

Archers usually wear arm guards and also had either a back or leg quiver which is useful for shooting. If you had a decent bow and were conditioned to it you could rapid fire usually by holding one arrow above another though.
IP Logged

The Silverwizard, The Great and powerful Wizard, And the Over Lord Of The Warroirs Of The Mist
alicia

View Profile

« Reply #19 on: 02/13/04 at 21:00:43 »
Quote Quote

Rangers have equal second lowest armour in game with spells on (excluding zerkers who get uber HP instead of armour)

1) Druids
2) Mages
3) Clerics
4) Pacis
5) Fighters
6/7) Rangers/Pallys
Cool Thieves

hmm... low armour, average hp, only mages have a lower base damage weapon (and they use spells instead), d**n near impossible to train l15-23, need at least 22 dex to be useful, damage lowered almost every update, ect ect

And worse, they get no benefit due to the fact they are most likely 20+ yards away from the melee shooting arrows and should be able to dodge almost all attacks. The 'shield' they carry makes up for this

Rangers are fine, leave em be
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Nightmist Online Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.