Nightmist Online Forum - http://www.nightmist-online.co.uk
« Nightmist Online Forum - Armor Ideas »
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
04/19/24 at 10:09:58

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register

Nightmist Online Forum
   Individual Class Discussion
   Fighter Class Discussion
(Moderator: Pandilex)
   Armor Ideas
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Armor Ideas  (Read 2271 times)
CPG
USA 

dude hit guy wif lol

VinzcentXS
View Profile WWW

Armor Ideas
« on: 09/06/03 at 20:10:14 »
Quote Quote

Library info for Steel Plated Gauntlets:
Armor base: 10, Can be worn by: fighters, Description: Made from steel mined in the deepest parts of the earth, these gauntlets are the best out there. They offer extreme protection and help stabilize your blows. They are somewhat encumbering, unfortunately., Level needed to equip it: 28, Strength modifier: 1, Intelligence modifier: 0, Dexterity modifier: -1, Constitution modifier: 0, Wisdom modifier: 0, Charisma modifier: 0.

Library info for Tower Shield:
Armor base: 30, Can be worn by: fighters, Description: The Tower shield is four feet tall, and two wide. While providing superior protection, it doesn't leave much room to see things as clearly. Also, it can be used to hit opponents in tight situations, Level needed to equip it: 28, Strength modifier: 1, Intelligence modifier: 0, Dexterity modifier: 0, Constitution modifier: -1, Wisdom modifier: 0, Charisma modifier: 0.

Library info for Steel Plated Helm:
Armor base: 15, Can be worn by: fighters, Description: Originally a plain steel helmet, this piece of equipment has been modified. It is now covered in thick steel plating which protects its wear from harm to the head. There is also padding inside, which keeps the mind clear, even after getting struck., Level needed to equip it: 28, Strength modifier: 0, Intelligence modifier: 1, Dexterity modifier: 0, Constitution modifier: 0, Wisdom modifier: 0, Charisma modifier: 0.

Library info for Gothic Plate Armor:
Armor base: 55, Can be worn by: fighters, Description: An extremely large, custom made piece of armor. Forged from black steel and covered in one inch thick metal plates, it will fill all who see it with awe. Gleaming when the sun hits it, a certain aura is produced around the wearer., Level needed to equip it: 30, Strength modifier: 0, Intelligence modifier: 0, Dexterity modifier: -1, Constitution modifier: 0, Wisdom modifier: 0, Charisma modifier: 2.

These are my ideas for new armor that should be available to Fighters. The extra armor would make up for their lack of ability and the stat modifications will mean being able to choose different pieces of armor for different stats and create a much larger selection of armor combinations.

Example Fighter, a 6-stat Dwarf just to make it less complicated. With this armor, the stats would be 23 19 16 20 18 19 with 110 armor (minus rings amulets etc.). Or they could have spiked armor and sgs (to replace the gauntlets). That would leave them with 21 18 19 21 18 17 and only 82 armor. Or you could mix and match. It would be like shopping, heh. But yeah, just a demonstration of what you can do.
IP Logged

Despair
United_Kingdom 

»º ïñ§åtïåßlë º«

View Profile

Re: Armor Ideas
« Reply #1 on: 09/06/03 at 20:49:25 »
Quote Quote

nice idea gives you a choice with pretty equal advantages/disadvantages well thought out
IP Logged
Jurian
Netherlands 

Lillium inter spinas, The lilly among thorns

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #2 on: 09/06/03 at 20:56:51 »
Quote Quote

didn't read it all but post em in the development part of the forum Cheesy
IP Logged

I dream about how it's going to end,
Approaching me quickly.
Leaving a life of fear,
I only want my mind to be clear.
CPG
USA 

dude hit guy wif lol

VinzcentXS
View Profile WWW

« Reply #3 on: 09/06/03 at 20:57:39 »
Quote Quote

Isn't that for boss drops?
IP Logged

Sausage
USA 

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: 09/06/03 at 21:04:41 »
Quote Quote

Yes, but why not start your own thread?
IP Logged

-=-§Äû§ÅGÉ-=-
DannysGirl

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile

« Reply #5 on: 09/07/03 at 08:43:14 »
Quote Quote

the stat changes, didnt really make sense
IP Logged
Jurian
Netherlands 

Lillium inter spinas, The lilly among thorns

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #6 on: 09/07/03 at 10:02:01 »
Quote Quote

on 09/06/03 at 20:57:39, CPG wrote:
Isn't that for boss drops?

well this has to do with development so make a new thread. ppl that read that part of the forum alot can give you better comments on your ideas then the ppl that read this part of the forum (although most are the same)
IP Logged

I dream about how it's going to end,
Approaching me quickly.
Leaving a life of fear,
I only want my mind to be clear.
Mephistroth

Email

« Reply #7 on: 09/07/03 at 10:18:58 »
Quote Quote

on 09/07/03 at 08:43:14, DannysGirl wrote:
the stat changes, didnt really make sense

They do actually.

Library info for Steel Plated Gauntlets:  
Level needed to equip it: 28, Strength modifier: 1, Intelligence modifier: 0, Dexterity modifier: -1, Constitution modifier: 0, Wisdom modifier: 0, Charisma modifier: 0.

You could gain str because you might be able to bash people with them, which would let you do more damage.. but because you can't do that he just put str up by one. Dexterity wouldn't really get lowered by steel plated gauntlets, but you wouldn't be able to move your hands as fast, so you wouldn't be able to parry attacks as well.. which leaves you more of a chance to get hit, and you won't be able to hit as easily. So dext goes down by 1.  

Library info for Tower Shield:  
Level needed to equip it: 28, Strength modifier: 1, Intelligence modifier: 0, Dexterity modifier: 0, Constitution modifier: -1, Wisdom modifier: 0, Charisma modifier: 0

Again, the str is added because it allows you to do extra damage (bashing people) but because there isn't a way to add extra damage from an item, he had to put str up by 1. I can easily see how it takes off dext though.. holding a big ass shields gonna slow you down a bit.

Library info for Steel Plated Helm:  
Level needed to equip it: 28, Strength modifier: 0, Intelligence modifier: 1, Dexterity modifier: 0, Constitution modifier: 0, Wisdom modifier: 0, Charisma modifier: 0.

This gives you int because if you get hit in the head, you won't take anywhere near as much damage, but before it would leave you stunned and confused.

Library info for Gothic Plate Armor:  
Level needed to equip it: 30, Strength modifier: 0, Intelligence modifier: 0, Dexterity modifier: -1, Constitution modifier: 0, Wisdom modifier: 0, Charisma modifier: 2.

Lose dexterity because its a big ass body armour, and you can't move as fast. You gain two char because it looks good lol

Edit: added in the bold.. might make it easier to read or something *shrugs*
IP Logged
Eternyte
Wales 

View Profile

« Reply #8 on: 09/07/03 at 10:57:54 »
Quote Quote

I agree with DannysGirl here. Some of the stat modifications dont make sense.

Steel plated gauntlets.
10ac, +1 str, -1 dex. These wouldnt seem to bad except that you could just wear sg's and a granite amulet. Although you get +4ac on sg's anyway.
I think if there was a wisdom mod too it would be ok. i.e. 10ac, +1str, -1dex, -1wis.

Tower Shield.
30ac, +1 str, -1 cons. Not only does is have 10ac more than the next best shield, but it also gives +1 str. -1 cons is useless at it would not affect a fighter in any way. For such a large, and strong shield. 30ac, +1str, -1 dex and -1 wis would be better.

Steel Plated Helm.
15ac, +1 int. This has 7ac more than the next best shield. Although why +1int, intell has no effect whatsoever on a fighter so it seems pointless. 15ac, -1 wis, +1 chr seems a better option.

Gothic Plate Armor.
55ac, -1 dex, +2 chr. This one seems fine.

------------------------------------------------------------------------ ------------------------
Like I have pointed out on another post somewhere. I have already spoken to JLH about some of the other items already in the game. He said that more ac was not needed as the game is already too easy.

I would like to see new variants of the armors available in the shops just to add to a little more variety. Good ideas though CPG.
IP Logged
Mephistroth

Email

« Reply #9 on: 09/07/03 at 11:11:04 »
Quote Quote

Why the hell would you lose wisdom? That just doesn't make sense.. also, the whole point in these is that people might think about using them, but if you lose dext AND wis then a lot of people wouldn't bother.
IP Logged
Eternyte
Wales 

View Profile

« Reply #10 on: 09/07/03 at 11:23:26 »
Quote Quote

on 09/07/03 at 11:11:04, Mephistroth wrote:
Why the hell would you lose wisdom? That just doesn't make sense.. also, the whole point in these is that people might think about using them, but if you lose dext AND wis then a lot of people wouldn't bother.

Doesnt make sense? but losing 1 cons and gaining 1 int for fighters does? I think not.

A lot of people wouldnt use those new armor, but even more would.

I thought about what stats could be changed in order to not make the items too powerful.
If the stat ideas that CPG put forward, no one would use any of the armor that is already in the game.

I mean if a fighter gets a shield with 10ac more, 1 str more, and 1 less cons. EVERYONE would equip it.

Same with a helm that gives 7ac more and +1 int. It's just a spked helm with more ac. There is no point to it.

You cant go giving a class such good items, without having an adverse effect. Even with the stat mods I suggested I'd still wear them. Why? because no one really uses mages anymore, so you have nothing to worry about.

Like I said in my previous post I would like to see new armor in the game. Although armor with the initial stat mods would be far too good.
IP Logged
Mephistroth

Email

« Reply #11 on: 09/07/03 at 11:36:30 »
Quote Quote

So? Just because one thing doesn't make sense it doesn't mean you can go and throw in some stupid idea about wisdom. there is NO WAY that it would make you lose wisdom, or con for that matter.. but for me it makes a small amount of sense for the int.

It doesn't matter if these are better than spiked. They have a higher level limit, and would cost a lot more. I don't see you complaning because Spiked Set is better than Ironweed... after all, NOBODY uses ironweed when they reach level 25.
IP Logged
Eternyte
Wales 

View Profile

« Reply #12 on: 09/07/03 at 12:11:40 »
Quote Quote

Fair point, but we still dont need armor going up to 130+, even at level 30. Thats just going into insane territory, as soon as armor starts going up that high there needs to be large adverse effects. Otherwise the game would just rocket out of control.

Kinda of like it has with the ease of getting exp/gold/level 30's. If items like these were brought in, there would need to be a limit on resorces to make them.
I know this is going off topic slightly, but as Ted (Dognapot) said there is a never ending cycle. Soon enough everyone will be level 30, and they would have armor like stated above.

I agree with what your saying to a certain extent, but I do feel that variety is needed, not much better equipment.
IP Logged
Mephistroth

Email

« Reply #13 on: 09/07/03 at 12:34:17 »
Quote Quote

True, but fighters do need something.. and this might be it. They'd be able to beat all classes in melee (which is what they should do) but they'd still be weak to magic (which they should be). Maybe if this went in, fighters could take a bonus 5/10 damage from mages spells? This isn't anything do with fighters, but I just don't think Fighters magic defence would be that great.  

Every class needs a weakness, but it also needs a strength.. and fighters seem to be lacking it.
IP Logged
Eternyte
Wales 

View Profile

« Reply #14 on: 09/07/03 at 14:23:54 »
Quote Quote

I agree fighters should be the best melee attacker which they are. Unfortunately Nightmist cannot compensate for range. For instance only a Ranger or Thief (Assassinate from covert) should be able to touch a mage, because they wouldnt be stupid enough to get into close quarters with a fighter or a zerk.

Fighters do need something, but I dont think higher ac is the way to go, because then they will be clicking away. With no real skill in it.
IP Logged
CPG
USA 

dude hit guy wif lol

VinzcentXS
View Profile WWW

« Reply #15 on: 09/07/03 at 18:38:01 »
Quote Quote

I put minus con on the shield because it is large and you can't see as much with it on. This would leave you more susceptible to thieves. For the helm with +1 int, Mephistroth got it exactly. Sure they don't need int, but it's for roleplaying purposes, some people like to have smart crits. For the Gauntlets. Sure you could use sgs and a granite ammy, but you would be missing out on 4 ac and you would also probably have to buy a granite ammy because there aren't too many around. Also, why would unenchanted metal give you +wis? I don't see it. Although armor should have something to do with magical attacks, it's not going to happen (Obviously if you are wearing a huge suit of armor, a Mage's beam will have a tough time penetrating it or doing whatever it does to damage the opponent.). I thought about putting -1 dex on the shield, but if you equip the set, then you will be getting -3 dex, which is terrible in this world where dex reigns supreme. In my eyes, I think the advantages and disadvantages even out.
IP Logged

Alucard

I Am Adrian Farenheights Tepes

View Profile

« Reply #16 on: 09/11/03 at 06:37:43 »
Quote Quote

I FInd this Thread Completely Pointless in all ways possibly and that Fighters Just need Better Hp gain and Stam and some what in better weapons discluding the BoT cuz its pointless to have cuz it would take for ever to just get one from a Monster drop and Not Many players have it, Look at the Rose Blade its a remake of the hally but made for lvl 25+ which means when your able to equiped Spiked set you should have a rose blade,But this is off topic i am speaking of and i am sorry for going off topic ina  way, But the Armor is pointless, Fighters just need Better Weapons and Hp, Look at Quark he has Highest Hp ingame for dwarf Fighters, and he can easily become more god like with that kinda Armor think about the kinda fighters your suggesting use this armor.
IP Logged

Death Comes Upon Those Stubborn Enough To Face It,But Eternal Life Only Comes To Those Who Are Willing To Accept It.
CPG
USA 

dude hit guy wif lol

VinzcentXS
View Profile WWW

« Reply #17 on: 09/11/03 at 15:31:38 »
Quote Quote

I never said these pieces of armor would be a boss drop. Also, I don't think you are taking into consideration the negative effects of the armor. Also, why do you want Fighters to become like berserkers? You want more HP and more damage? Maybe a couple more damage would be nice, like 3-5, but that's it. As far as the rose blade, it's a better weapon for a pally, because a Fighter can use a hally and save himself 100k. Yes, Quark would be a great Fighter with this armor. But he also has outrageous HP and a lot of nice equipment. He's not your run of the mill character. Also, if you haven't noticed, Fighters do not have a spectacular amount of armor. Rangers have a few less than them which isn't right. Fighters need to be a desirable class to have again.
IP Logged

Bean
Canada 

I can be your angel, I can be your saviour

View Profile

« Reply #18 on: 09/11/03 at 17:47:12 »
Quote Quote

They dont need armor

They dont need more stamina

They dont need to hit harder

What they need, are skills that can be used tactically in battle...
IP Logged

Chars: Bean, Kulidian, Elka, Elerabin *All four currently being leveled*
Mephistroth

Email

« Reply #19 on: 09/11/03 at 19:48:21 »
Quote Quote

on 09/11/03 at 17:47:12, Bean wrote:
They dont need armor

Wrong.

They dont need more stamina

Correct.

They dont need to hit harder

They could do with hitting a little harder. Unless you have a 2 mill gold weapon they suck.

What they need, are skills that can be used tactically in battle...

I agree with this, but there haven't really been any decent suggestions. Yours is the main one with stances, and from playing deity I can see there being loads of problems with stances.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Nightmist Online Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.