Nightmist Online Forum - http://www.nightmist-online.co.uk
« Nightmist Online Forum - Smite! »
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
04/16/24 at 19:42:39

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register

Nightmist Online Forum
   Individual Class Discussion
   Berserker Class Discussion
(Moderator: Pandilex)
   Smite!
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Smite!  (Read 4370 times)
Eternyte
Wales 

View Profile

Smite!
« on: 03/31/03 at 14:16:46 »
Quote Quote

Ok I realise that most people figure Zerk are overpowered. Until you actually duel one thats unspelled. Or actually own a high level one.
Myself I have a level 30 Zerk. So i'm sure that allows me to comment.

Firstly:
Animosity rapidly fired at you from his Enchanted Bow for 81 points of damage.
Animosity rapidly fired at you from his Enchanted Bow for 118 points of damage.
Animosity rapidly fired at you from his Enchanted Bow for 112 points of damage.
Animosity rapidly fired at you from his Enchanted Bow for 104 points of damage.
Animosity rapidly fired at you from his Enchanted Bow for 106 points of damage. Killing you.

Obviously he was spelled, but I hope you realise the point I was making. That was also after numerous round of getting me below 10 hp.

Then....
You attempted to smite Animosity but failed.
You attempted to smite Animosity but failed and caused 178 points of damage.

All these were from 6 stamina. I'm sure that if any other class missed the equivilant of 48 stamina there would be total uproar.

I am suggesting that Smite needs to hit a lot more often than that. Another suggestion named before (by Ste) could be.
Smite either does All or None. You could argue that it is then assassinate. As Ste's idea was first intended. However Smite I feel can not miss this much.
All or None being it either kills someone outright, or does no damage at all. This being the case Smite would need to take 50hp each attempt. Also to vary the ability from that of assassinate. It can only be casted from full stamina, unlike that of assassinate which can be casted from 1 - 5 stamina.

I see no reason this would unbalance the classes, but a reasonable % of success would have to be confirmed. I would say between 30% and 50% accurate would surfice.

Let me know what you think. Would rather have opinions from level 27+ Zerks. Not those who are level 20 and have been killed by a spelled up Zerk.
IP Logged
Eternyte
Wales 

View Profile

Re: Smite!
« Reply #1 on: 03/31/03 at 16:50:30 »
Quote Quote

I would have edited my previous post. However I want to leave it there for people to see.
I've thought about the All or None idea, and I now think it's very bad.
A level 20 Zerk could 1 click Arches left right and centre. Also a level 1 at the Crystal Giant, could get lucky and 1 click it.
Unless is can be coded somehow I now think it's a very bad idea.

You also could make it it so you cant attack monsters otherwise Beserk would be the only form of leveling excluding melee attacks.

So the alternative has to apply that the accuracy must be upped greatly.
IP Logged
Tender_Foot

Email

« Reply #2 on: 04/01/03 at 20:07:59 »
Quote Quote

on 03/31/03 at 14:16:46, Eternyte wrote:
Ok I realise that most people figure Zerk are overpowered. Until you actually duel one thats unspelled. Or actually own a high level one.
Myself I have a level 30 Zerk. So i'm sure that allows me to comment.

Firstly:
Animosity rapidly fired at you from his Enchanted Bow for 81 points of damage.
Animosity rapidly fired at you from his Enchanted Bow for 118 points of damage.
Animosity rapidly fired at you from his Enchanted Bow for 112 points of damage.
Animosity rapidly fired at you from his Enchanted Bow for 104 points of damage.
Animosity rapidly fired at you from his Enchanted Bow for 106 points of damage. Killing you.

Obviously he was spelled, but I hope you realise the point I was making. That was also after numerous round of getting me below 10 hp.

Then....
You attempted to smite Animosity but failed and caused 178 points of damage.

All these were from 6 stamina. I'm sure that if any other class missed the equivilant of 48 stamina there would be total uproar.

I am suggesting that Smite needs to hit a lot more often than that. Another suggestion named before (by Ste) could be.
Smite either does All or None. You could argue that it is then assassinate. As Ste's idea was first intended. However Smite I feel can not miss this much.
All or None being it either kills someone outright, or does no damage at all. This being the case Smite would need to take 50hp each attempt. Also to vary the ability from that of assassinate. It can only be casted from full stamina, unlike that of assassinate which can be casted from 1 - 5 stamina.

I see no reason this would unbalance the classes, but a reasonable % of success would have to be confirmed. I would say between 30% and 50% accurate would surfice.

Let me know what you think. Would rather have opinions from level 27+ Zerks. Not those who are level 20 and have been killed by a spelled up Zerk.

i think its preety obvious that most zerkers cant hold a flame to anything with high dex. i have also posted, but it was a lvl 28 zerker against my arch fighter who had 19 dex. the zerker hit 20 times out of 24.
IP Logged
Defiant

Email

« Reply #3 on: 04/01/03 at 20:14:05 »
Quote Quote

I think if Berserkers could wear Only Spiked Armor(As its a big piece so it could fit) That would balance them out, unsure, but its worth posting, i was bored at school and it popped in to my head....

When i get my level 30 berserker i will test it against my ranger.

Eternyte for Staff Tongue
IP Logged
Eternyte
Wales 

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: 04/01/03 at 22:50:39 »
Quote Quote

No I dont think Zerks should have armor. For the main fact I couldnt bare Deval posting about it...lol.
Their hp more than enough covers their lack of armor. They can also get about 28 ac from a cleric spell.

Beserk is ok as it is. It missed a lot but hits hard. Smite seem very pointless indeed with a success rate that is very low.
My level 20 Zerk however seems to smite fairly often, surely this is backwards?

May I enquire Tender as to if your Zerk was spelled? because hitting that often I have yet to experience with my level 30 Zerk.

Also Rich i'm sure when your Zerk reaches a higher level you'd much rather it hurt people more often, than get hit for less....dont you agree?
IP Logged
Tender_Foot

Email

« Reply #5 on: 04/02/03 at 03:47:58 »
Quote Quote

ask momba Wink

i think the that its preety obvious that any crit with 18 dex, is going to have a hard time hitting something with 21_ dex (we all know most zerkers have 18 dex and most rangers have 22, and everyday more and more are getting 23)). i think you may wanna try smiting something with less dex, a mage, a fighter, something that usually tends not to be a halfling with a ton of dex mods

Edit: and zerkers with armor...lol
IP Logged
Eternyte
Wales 

View Profile

« Reply #6 on: 04/02/03 at 08:21:32 »
Quote Quote

So what your saying is that 18 dex should never hit someone with 23 dex....Oooh brilliant balancing ideas there.
So that goes for fighters too, and thieves, oh and anyother non-dwarf crit that happens to have 18 dex or less.
Tender think about what your saying before you post please, it would save a lot of hassle.
IP Logged
Proteus
Canada 

Proteus, Caitiff, Reign, Ophidian, Trite.

View Profile

« Reply #7 on: 04/02/03 at 08:51:56 »
Quote Quote

Honestly do you think a Berserker would take the time to aim his blow precisely? Or would he swing as hard as he could trying to knock the guys head right off his shoulders?

Why make changes to balance a class that dont follow there behavior. There must be some way to fix it without destroying the whole point of the "berserker".
IP Logged

I will rape his kin,massacre his subjects,raze his kingdom to the ground & send his soul screaming to the foulest pit of Hell.Only then will I spit on his corpse.Only then will I have had my vengance.
Eternyte
Wales 

View Profile

« Reply #8 on: 04/02/03 at 11:23:42 »
Quote Quote

Yeah I agree. Lets put this into context of a mage. Imagine you casted Beam 48 times, and every single one was a resist or fizzle.
You'd say there was something wrong correct? I think that Smite should be more accurate, Smite isnt a furious attack. Well to a certain extent I guess it is, but thats why is does damage to yourself.
Berserks is the furious attack, thus doing more damage to yourself. I dont expect Smite to be 100% effective, but I feel its accuracy needs to be upped.
IP Logged
Jurian
Netherlands 

Lillium inter spinas, The lilly among thorns

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #9 on: 04/02/03 at 13:06:53 »
Quote Quote

well smite seems to work fine till like lvl 25 :d i did a mosh lvl 1-25 and i used my lvl 25 zerker. in that mosh i killed 11 ppl of which 7 were one clicks. i missed a total of 4 times and did 3 times just a little damage.

so it looks like smite is just an attack that works on lower lvl crits cuz i assume most ppl in the mosh were lower then lvl 25 Grin
IP Logged

I dream about how it's going to end,
Approaching me quickly.
Leaving a life of fear,
I only want my mind to be clear.
Matt
USA 

Abnormaly420
View Profile Email

« Reply #10 on: 04/03/03 at 00:10:42 »
Quote Quote

Like he said.. Zerkers are not over powered whatsoever. They hit hard _when_ they hit. But they miss soo much they just plain suck with no armor. A human average stat killed my 30 zerker (who had the rune blade) 5/5 times in a duel.. Does that make any sense to anyone who considers them overpowered?? lol

Rangers own them even more.. Zerkers miss nearly every time when they are hypnoed. Unless you have a cleric spell them up they stink. They are not good at soloing.
IP Logged

"Faith; noun. Belief without evidence in what is told by one who speaks without knowledge, of things without parallel." --- Ambrose Bierce
Tender_Foot

Email

« Reply #11 on: 04/04/03 at 16:38:59 »
Quote Quote

on 04/02/03 at 08:21:32, Eternyte wrote:
So what your saying is that 18 dex should never hit someone with 23 dex....Oooh brilliant balancing ideas there.
So that goes for fighters too, and thieves, oh and anyother non-dwarf crit that happens to have 18 dex or less.
Tender think about what your saying before you post please, it would save a lot of hassle.

did you even read my post? maybe you should read it again and think yourself
IP Logged
Drizzt

Email

« Reply #12 on: 04/04/03 at 16:44:14 »
Quote Quote

Eternyte seems to have a problem with reading what people say, he just twists your words so he can insult you.
IP Logged
Eternyte
Wales 

View Profile

« Reply #13 on: 04/04/03 at 22:42:03 »
Quote Quote

Tender firsly...I was not twisting your words. You said that maybe I should try smiting something else with lower dex. Well why the hell should I, even with 5 more dex I shouldnt miss 48 stamina worth.

Thats like telling a mage to beam someone with lower wis. Each crit should be able to stand on their own two feet. Even a level 20 could beat someone who missed 48 times, or dont you agree.

Until you have a level 30 zerk, I urge you too keep your mouth shut, and stop flying things around the forum or which you have little or no idea.

Alex as for twisting people's word, when was the last time I insulted you. If you want to be insulted I would be more than happy to oblige. Once again you dont have a level 30 zerk, so how can you possibly comment on something you have no idea about?

Just answer me that please?
IP Logged
Mammon
USA 

Yup...

View Profile

« Reply #14 on: 04/04/03 at 23:08:56 »
Quote Quote

Well either way, he attempted to smite me when I was on 'Cucumber' who has 18 dex, and still only hit once out of many times he used it, so I agree smite is useless.
IP Logged
Proteus
Canada 

Proteus, Caitiff, Reign, Ophidian, Trite.

View Profile

« Reply #15 on: 04/05/03 at 00:50:50 »
Quote Quote

Well if its totally useless how about changing it.

Smite:
Hits 100% of the time. Does damage equal to the 75% of damage you have taken. Takes all your stamina. (Meaning 6/6, 5/5 ect..)

Example. Your at 200 HP out of 500. So you Smite, doing 75% of 300. Hitting for 225 damage and using all your stamina.

Alternative Idea

Smite:
Hits 75% of the time. Does damage equal to the amount of damage you have taken. Takes all stamina. (6/6, 5/5.. ect)

Example. Your at 200HP out of 500. So you would hit for 300 damage with a 75% chance of hitting. Needing max stamina.

Meaning it gets better as you level, because at low lvl you you would have less HP, making it less effective.
IP Logged

I will rape his kin,massacre his subjects,raze his kingdom to the ground & send his soul screaming to the foulest pit of Hell.Only then will I spit on his corpse.Only then will I have had my vengance.
Eternyte
Wales 

View Profile

« Reply #16 on: 04/05/03 at 01:05:13 »
Quote Quote

I like both those ideas Archie. Seems alright to me.
IP Logged
Mammon
USA 

Yup...

View Profile

« Reply #17 on: 04/05/03 at 01:57:44 »
Quote Quote

Those ideas seem reasonable to me.
IP Logged
Zerlix

Are you sure you wanna meet me on a dark night?

View Profile

« Reply #18 on: 04/05/03 at 04:51:06 »
Quote Quote

i strongly disagree, it would be much harder to lvl them at low lvls because both abilities would just devastate them.  berserk hurts for 25 and at low lvls like when you start the crit, they have like 30 hp so they would be hurt so badly that just about anything could finish them off.  with the 75% blah blah blah however much damage taken, it would just be a huge decrease in hp for not very high hitting power
IP Logged

«¤¥ðu WøulÐñ† §â¥ †hä† Îƒ ï HåÐ â GuѤ»
Payne

ïMmÓrtÅ£ ®ôß

View Profile Email

« Reply #19 on: 04/05/03 at 07:29:47 »
Quote Quote

i just scroled through this and for that why dont u just make a new spell that has a lvl limit and it can be like a more accurate smite or something instead of having smite kill or not kill the person and would need all 6 stam to use this.   Undecided
IP Logged

Page/Memo Astinus,Payne,Apocalypse in game

http://www.geocities.com/baby10884/Watch.jpg
Pages: 1 2 3  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Nightmist Online Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.