Nightmist Online Forum - http://www.nightmist-online.co.uk
« Nightmist Online Forum - 21/2/4 Hardware Upgrade »
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
04/25/24 at 00:13:48

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register

Nightmist Online Forum
   Nightmist Online - Please read the terms of use before posting here
   Announcements and Info
(Moderators: JLH, Pandilex)
   21/2/4 Hardware Upgrade
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: 21/2/4 Hardware Upgrade  (Read 4800 times)
JLH
Game Creator / Administrator
United_Kingdom 

View Profile WWW Email

21/2/4 Hardware Upgrade
« on: 02/21/04 at 01:26:06 »

Total downtime was about 90 minutes.
Basically:
The 2 processors in the server were upgraded from MP2000s to MP2800s, so faster server.

Details (for those that like this sort of thing):
Motherboard bios needed flashing first to support the newer cpus, not a problem i thought, until i closed the nightmist server app, rebooted the server, then remembered that windows 2000 server doesn't have a dos mode to run the flash program (doh).
Well, i don't happen to have a win98/dos boot disk about, so popped to www.bootdisk.com (useful site! thanks google) on the laptop and downloaded a win98/dos boot disc image that made me a nice boot disc.
Booted the server off this disk, and flashed the bios.
Swapped the new cpus in.
Booted up the server, detects both cpus in the bios, excellent.
Boots into windows, hmm, only 1 cpu found by windows, however the motherboard software reports 2, how very odd.
A quick search on www.microsoft.com tells me that if you have moved from using 1 cpu to >1 cpu, to change the HAL driver to the multiprocessor one instead of the uniprocessor one.
It was already on multiprocessor, but fair enough, reinstalled the same HAL driver, rebooted the server and both cpus were detected. Why on earth it did that i don't know, but fair enough...
A bit of benchmarking later to get the cpus warmed up tells me everything is well, and 1 is running at 36c and the other at 39c, which is similar to what i had before (i use coolermaster aero7 heatsinks, see server pics on mugshots).
Then i started the old nightmist server exe by mistake (doh) which told anyone connecting to update, then realised, closed it and compiled the latest code and ran that.
All is well Smiley
IP Logged

Anything i post on here is subject to change at any time without notification to the board.
Pages: 1  Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Nightmist Online Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.