Nightmist Online Forum - http://www.nightmist-online.co.uk
« Nightmist Online Forum - Races »
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
06/01/24 at 19:57:33

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register

Nightmist Online Forum
   Nightmist - Improving the game
   Suggestions
(Moderators: Stotic, JLH, Pandilex)
   Races
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Races  (Read 1660 times)
alicia

View Profile

Races
« on: 03/16/03 at 14:06:52 »
Quote Quote

Just been looking at the max stats for all the races... now i kno why people call some races crap. IMO all races should be useful in some way, and something should be done about it.  

First the useful classes:

Elf: loses 2 points over human, gains 5. High int and wis mages them best as mages.

Halfling: Loses 3 points to human and only gains 2, but dex is one of the most important stats in the game and 'ling is the only class with 21 dex

Dwarf: High str and con with 1 down on dex, very popular for fighters, zerkers, and thieves

Now the not so useful ones:

Gnome: Beaten in stats by another race in all the classes it can be. 21 int is only good for mages and elves have that with higher wisdom. Maybe letting them become druids would help.

HalfElf - The class I think should be improved most. Combines the weaknesses of the human (no outstanding stats) with the weaknesses of the elf (not very strong) Stats are similar to human but loses 1 str for 1 int (and +1 char, but char isnt the most sought out attrrib). Int is only useful for mages and, as gnomes, elves are better with higher int and higher wis. My suggestion for halfelf would be to give them 21 wis. This would make them the best class for clerics, and useful as other races, while not making them overpowered.

As for humans and halforcs, humans are the 'average' class, and the so called attribute point system should help them out, while 'orcs are like dwarves but hit harder and less often, and are mage bait
IP Logged
Tender_Foot

Email

Re: Races
« Reply #1 on: 03/16/03 at 16:31:10 »
Quote Quote

there's nuthing wrong with gnomes. i've had 6 mages, 2 elf to start and they didnt seem to good, since ive made 4 gnomes and they all have done much better
IP Logged
Lyandor

Email

« Reply #2 on: 03/16/03 at 16:36:36 »
Quote Quote

Lol, elves beat gnomes in almost every way.
Higher strength
Same int
Lower dext
Same con
Higher wis
Higher char
IP Logged
Zephie
Nightmist Game Staff
USA 

Kalypso in game.

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: 03/16/03 at 18:18:17 »
Quote Quote

Gnomes get special class bonus, I believe they resist magic attacks better.

but I agree with you about Half-Elves.
IP Logged

"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds" - Albert Einstein
Tender_Foot

Email

« Reply #4 on: 03/16/03 at 18:44:00 »
Quote Quote

on 03/16/03 at 16:36:36, Lyandor wrote:
Lol, elves beat gnomes in almost every way.
Higher strength
Same int
Lower dext
Same con
Higher wis
Higher char

dex is a very important stat, even if it just a little bit more, specially when you dont have 600k for an AoP
IP Logged
Aidon
Nightmist Game Staff

View Profile

« Reply #5 on: 03/16/03 at 19:30:17 »
Quote Quote

I also agree with the half-elf.  21 int would make an easy way of making them an actual useful race.  As for gnome, with the resisting of magical attacks along with the higher dex, I think it somewhat balances it out mage-wise with elves.  I think though that if maybe the str was increased to be 18 such as elves it would help make them rightful competitors for the mage class.
IP Logged
Mammon
USA 

Yup...

View Profile

« Reply #6 on: 03/16/03 at 19:49:07 »
Quote Quote

Ah yes, half-elves in my opinion just a useless race, I believe they need some type of an improvement seeing as without it, there is almost no need for a half-elf. They are out done by other races, and need some tweaking, such as higher dexterity, or wisdom being part elf, meaning they are more wise or more limber than a human, which would make them a little more reasonable to use.
IP Logged
Norinth

The Elder Druid.

View Profile Email

« Reply #7 on: 03/16/03 at 20:49:48 »
Quote Quote

Remember you need to explain why you choose such stats/changes for such races.

For example, if Humans have (max) 19 wis and Elves have 20, why a mix of their blood would have 21?

Gnomes cannot become druids (talking about most of the games I saw)... And Elves are much better druid (bonus in forests, more wis).

22 int and bonus for gnomes would be kinda decent and elves would get -1 int and +1 wis (example)

After all max stats are 22 21 21 22 20 21... Elves would get 21 wis and gnomes 22 int.
« Last Edit: 03/16/03 at 22:19:25 by Norinth » IP Logged

Anything just ask Smiley.
Aidon
Nightmist Game Staff

View Profile

« Reply #8 on: 03/16/03 at 21:12:35 »
Quote Quote

If this is true, it is hard for me to believe a halfling to be "sexy" with that 19 charisma.
IP Logged
Norinth

The Elder Druid.

View Profile Email

« Reply #9 on: 03/16/03 at 22:19:45 »
Quote Quote

Small people also have the right to live  Grin
IP Logged

Creed
USA 

Creed ingame

View Profile

« Reply #10 on: 03/16/03 at 22:24:51 »
Quote Quote

My favorite race would have to be a human. Because their stats are balanced. Plus they can be any class. Grin But that's just me though..
IP Logged

For we have crossed many oceans, and we labor that in between.. In life, there are many quotients.. And I hope I find the mean..
Norinth

The Elder Druid.

View Profile Email

« Reply #11 on: 03/16/03 at 22:33:03 »
Quote Quote

My favorite race is Elf. Elves just rock.
« Last Edit: 03/17/03 at 14:24:24 by Norinth » IP Logged

medication

R.I.P.

View Profile

« Reply #12 on: 03/17/03 at 01:08:48 »
Quote Quote

Shameless plug:

http://81.99.152.130/cgi-bin/YaBB/YaBB.pl?board=Improvements;action=disp lay;num=1040779746

3 months ago Wink
IP Logged

I just wanted to carve a little Z on your forehead - nothing serious.

[InGame: Tempest/Titan]
alicia

View Profile

« Reply #13 on: 03/17/03 at 01:44:01 »
Quote Quote

Why improve elves? they already have 21 int and 21 char, giving them 21 wis would make gnomes even worse, and throw half elves deeper into the gutter.

As for the person that said there should be an incharacter reason to give half elves 21 wis (apart from to make them more equal) how about... since they get to learn the lore of both the humans and the elves they naturally are the wisest of all the common races.
IP Logged
drizzt_dourden

fear the pointy stick!!!

View Profile

« Reply #14 on: 03/17/03 at 13:26:55 »
Quote Quote

actually, what would solve this lil prob with the 1/2 elves, would be to finally put those attribute points in.  considering that 1/2 elves get them at 1/2 the price.  

..... now get crackin busta!
IP Logged

you must cut down the mightiest tree in the *dense*forest wiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiith.....a herring!
Norinth

The Elder Druid.

View Profile Email

« Reply #15 on: 03/17/03 at 14:28:49 »
Quote Quote

Please... The point isn't that an half-elf learns both lores... Imagine you mix a class with 19 on a stat with a class with 21. Therefore, they would get 23? It has to be the right mix between them. If Gnomes had 22 int max, they would also have 20 dex, being the best mages. And elves would get 21 wis and 20/19 int, that way Half-Elves would get 20 wis.

And that Half-Elf thing... that's not the way it works... It doesn't work that way in ANY Rpg, online or not... Sorry.
IP Logged

Tender_Foot

Email

« Reply #16 on: 03/18/03 at 10:09:05 »
Quote Quote

i think half elves should be 19 20 18 18 20 19 but this is just my oppinion Wink
IP Logged
Norinth

The Elder Druid.

View Profile Email

« Reply #17 on: 03/18/03 at 13:34:03 »
Quote Quote

Dex for half-elves and humans is 19. Therefore they can't have 18. And if they get 20 wis elves need to get 21.
IP Logged

Lyandor

Email

« Reply #18 on: 03/18/03 at 15:46:43 »
Quote Quote

I have to agree with Norinth.
IP Logged
Eternyte
Wales 

View Profile

« Reply #19 on: 03/18/03 at 22:50:12 »
Quote Quote

Half-Elves have mixed stats as it happens. The problem is there mixed stats are just plain useless.
These are how I think stats should be, just an honest opinion.

Human: 19 19 19 19 19 19 (perfect as they are) - 114
Dwarf: 21 18 18 21 18 17 (perfect as they are) - 113
Elf: 18 21 19 18 21 21 (+ wis) - 118
Gnome: 17 21 21 18 20 18 (+ wis and + dex) - 115
Halfing: 18 19 20 18 18 19 (- dex) - 112
Half-elf: 20 18 19 19 19 20 (+ str, - int) - 115
Half-orc: 23 15 16 23 13 12 (+ str, + cons, - wis) - 102

I feel gnomes should have the highest dex because of their low strength.

I think Halfling's should have 20 dex, because they get an ac bonus. They dont need to dodge more and protect better.

You could argue that Half-Elves are not a mix of Elf and Humans, but keep them as they are and not many people will use them. Until they become pointless.

Just a few thoughts, on what I think. Feel free to agree or disagree.

Thanks!!  Grin
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Nightmist Online Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.