Nightmist Online Forum - http://www.nightmist-online.co.uk
ォ Nightmist Online Forum - .NET Framework Question サ
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
05/27/24 at 15:14:16

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register

Nightmist Online Forum
   Nightmist Online - Please read the terms of use before posting here
   Discussion Forum
(Moderators: Stotic, JLH, Judge Dredd, Pandilex)
   .NET Framework Question
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: .NET Framework Question  (Read 2577 times)
Stotic
Nightmist Game Staff
USA 

We Can Rise

View Profile WWW

Re: .NET Framework Question
« Reply #40 on: 01/03/04 at 08:20:15 »
Quote Quote

I believe it's intergrated with Microsoft Messenger.
IP Logged

We'll douse ourselves in gasoline and hang our bodies from the lampposts.
CPG
USA 

dude hit guy wif lol

VinzcentXS
View Profile WWW

« Reply #41 on: 01/03/04 at 08:21:48 »
Quote Quote

Not sure if Sausage just asked but...

Would we still be able to use the old client? It seems like it would run faster, be more compatible, and take far less space. Also, I don't really like putting more Microsoft stuff on my computer. With their plans for overseeing users, i'm not too keen on it.
IP Logged

Pandilex
Game Creator / Administrator
England 

Maneki Neko! (まねきねこ)

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #42 on: 01/03/04 at 08:22:41 »
Quote Quote

on 01/03/04 at 08:21:48, CPG wrote:
Not sure if Sausage just asked but...

Would we still be able to use the old client? It seems like it would run faster, be more compatible, and take far less space. Also, I don't really like putting more Microsoft stuff on my computer. With their plans for overseeing users, i'm not too keen on it.

Maybe, but it is unlikely. The new client would bring more advanced features and a better layout, and you'd be missing out on these if you did not upgrade.
IP Logged

Every good writer has much idiom. --Landor

'If your dumb enough to share, we're not dumb enough to care' -Deval
Jurian
Netherlands 

Lillium inter spinas, The lilly among thorns

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #43 on: 01/03/04 at 09:39:13 »
Quote Quote

i don't know what the fuss is about at the moment. no offence to anyone but i think it'll take atleast 6 months or a eyar before we get the new client lol so don't get all jumpy about the download being too big. i don't even think the decision to make it is final yet?
IP Logged

I dream about how it's going to end,
Approaching me quickly.
Leaving a life of fear,
I only want my mind to be clear.
Stigmata
United_Kingdom 

View Profile

« Reply #44 on: 01/03/04 at 11:22:59 »
Quote Quote

Pandilex,

I've seen you post things like this for years.....

What makes this new project of yours different to anything else you plan to develop?

I can't count the number of times you've promised to do something, only to put it off and never do it, most of the time without actually letting anyone know.

I'm still waiting for the clan moshes you announced a while ago on the announcements forum (which I had to run myself in the end!) and I just can't wait to finally take up your challenge and go into Inquisitor's tower or start a fresh character on opal spheres! The list is endless.

I'm not trying to be nasty or anything, it's just it really pisses people off when you promise something, hype it up with all your amazing ideas, only to get lazy and ignore the idea completely.

I mean, when exactly did you let people know that Inquisitor's tower wasn't actually going to be made........and as for that devastate area you were working on when I was staff - well.......where is it?

I'm starting to querey what annoys me more.....being bored on nightmist with nothing to do or hearing about new and exciting ideas that would make the worth playing, only to be let down and ignored.

IP Logged
Prophet
United_Kingdom 

View Profile

« Reply #45 on: 01/03/04 at 11:50:27 »
Quote Quote

on 01/01/04 at 22:35:11, Pandilex wrote:

The advantages of this means that I can write the client myself, taking some of the burden of programming from JLH, and that since its an object oriented language, I can add lots of nice features.

Is it basically the same as Vb 6.0? Or is the language totally different. On vb 6.0 i tried to use object orientatetd but failed coz it was quite difficult, so just resorted to types in the end lol. by OOP(object orientated Programming you mean like : Prophet.Hp and so on or something tottally differnet i never heard of before. lol)
IP Logged

www.nightmist-can-die.com - go go go!
Pandilex
England 

Maneki Neko! (まねきねこ)

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #46 on: 01/03/04 at 12:28:49 »
Quote Quote

on 01/03/04 at 11:50:27, Prophet wrote:

Is it basically the same as Vb 6.0? Or is the language totally different. On vb 6.0 i tried to use object orientatetd but failed coz it was quite difficult, so just resorted to types in the end lol. by OOP(object orientated Programming you mean like : Prophet.Hp and so on or something tottally differnet i never heard of before. lol)

It's nothing like VB 6.0 - Object Oriented Programming means you can create and manipulate objects, give them methods and variables, effectively created from an initial template (For example, you could have a "Cat" object, and then make 5 cats with different names, based on that object. It is considerably more powerful, as it allows you to achieve things that are not possible in visual basic (for example, you can run two or more processes simultaneously using threads).

on 01/03/04 at 11:22:59, Stigmata wrote:
Pandilex,

I've seen you post things like this for years.....

What makes this new project of yours different to anything else you plan to develop?

I can't count the number of times you've promised to do something, only to put it off and never do it, most of the time without actually letting anyone know.

I'm still waiting for the clan moshes you announced a while ago on the announcements forum (which I had to run myself in the end!) and I just can't wait to finally take up your challenge and go into Inquisitor's tower or start a fresh character on opal spheres! The list is endless.

I'm not trying to be nasty or anything, it's just it really pisses people off when you promise something, hype it up with all your amazing ideas, only to get lazy and ignore the idea completely.

I mean, when exactly did you let people know that Inquisitor's tower wasn't actually going to be made........and as for that devastate area you were working on when I was staff - well.......where is it?

I'm starting to querey what annoys me more.....being bored on nightmist with nothing to do or hearing about new and exciting ideas that would make the worth playing, only to be let down and ignored.

About 90% of the ideas in this game came from me, so it seems I do put quite a bit in. However JLH can only program so fast, and therefore I'm often left waiting for features I need to do future things. Some areas haven't been put in because they'd unbalance the game, and in the case of Inquisitor's Tower, I did a couple of floors then posted in the development forum with the idea of other staff completing a floor each. They were always too busy with other projects, so the idea was eventually put on ice.

As for non-nightmist projects, I am always developing something, however the advances in technology have meant that I've been too busy trying to stay ahead with the latest tools, meaning various rewrites of things I've done. As a result of posts like yours, things I do now I no longer speak about publicly. This means people don't get to see what is coming up in the future, simply because of the number of complaints (and the whole "I want I want" attitude).

My agenda does not coincide with yours, or anyone elses for that matter. Many of the things I do, I do for reasons of my own that only concern you indirectly. There are plenty of decisions that give me nothing but constant grief, yet achieve the exact purpose (which invariably benefits you as the end consumer) they were put in for.
IP Logged

Jurian
Netherlands 

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #47 on: 01/03/04 at 13:05:12 »
Quote Quote

isn't java object orientated? why not make a java client?
IP Logged

Approaching me quickly.
Leaving a life of fear,
Prophet
United_Kingdom 

View Profile

« Reply #48 on: 01/03/04 at 13:25:46 »
Quote Quote

on 01/03/04 at 12:28:49, Pandilex wrote:

It's nothing like VB 6.0 - Object Oriented Programming means you can create and manipulate objects, give them methods and variables, effectively created from an initial template (For example, you could have a "Cat" object, and then make 5 cats with different names, based on that object. It is considerably more powerful, as it allows you to achieve things that are not possible in visual basic (for example, you can run two or more processes simultaneously using threads)..

Yeh Basically you could then have the object cat but have say: Boris(Name of cat).gender and so on is it easier in .net is what im trying to ask coz i know you can do it in vb6.0 aswell.

on 01/03/04 at 13:05:12, Jurian wrote:
isn't java object orientated? why not make a java client?

Its really slow. As in vb is 10*faster not sure about .net, but I read somewhere that vb 6.0 is 10* faster.
IP Logged

Jurian
Netherlands 

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #49 on: 01/03/04 at 13:42:06 »
Quote Quote

yeah i know but pandi allready knows java right? but the client is mainly static so speed doesn't matter too much right?
IP Logged

Approaching me quickly.
Leaving a life of fear,
Prophet
United_Kingdom 

View Profile

« Reply #50 on: 01/03/04 at 13:44:26 »
Quote Quote

You'd be surprised how much a client has to do which requires speed e.g. loading pics and so on.
IP Logged

Jurian
Netherlands 

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #51 on: 01/03/04 at 13:49:19 »
Quote Quote

aaah yes forgot about the pics Cheesy was only thinking about the buttons and stats showing lol didn't think about text box and pics loading Cheesy
IP Logged

Approaching me quickly.
Leaving a life of fear,
Pandilex
England 

Maneki Neko! (まねきねこ)

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #52 on: 01/03/04 at 13:53:08 »
Quote Quote

I don't like Java, I prefer c# it is nicer.

Java, C# and Visual basic all run at roughly the same speed.

visual basic 6.0 has types which share a couple of charactersics with objects, but it is not properly object oriented.
IP Logged

Oracle
Nightmist Game Staff
United_Kingdom 

Tweeeeeeeeee

msn+=+Oracle_nightmist@msn.com   FnkBunny
View Profile Email

« Reply #53 on: 01/03/04 at 14:07:00 »
Quote Quote

Sounds like some people need to keep their noses out what they don't understand which I know means I wont get involved Smiley

I don't think that was very fair though Stigmata, we are all still working towards our educational goal irl which I can imagine is a lot of work for Pandilex. I would of thought you of all people would know how game development can drag on for a long time and brings more heart ache than joy for the developer as a result.

If it makes the account manager and client look cooler/have cooler features then I'm all for it Cheesy
IP Logged
Issy
USA 

I am Alpha and Omega; the first and the last

67662135 67662135   Isaiah213   Issyfur
View Profile

« Reply #54 on: 01/03/04 at 16:50:08 »
Quote Quote

20 mb download  Undecided

that'd be...uh...

28/8 = 3.5

1000/3.5 = 2:85 minutes

2.85*20 =57 minutes

I think i did that wrong.  

anyways, it displays the general idea. It'd take a long time to download the client.

IP Logged

And he had in his right hand seven stars: and out of his mouth went a sharp twoedged sword: and his countenance was as the sun shineth in his strength.
JLH
United_Kingdom 

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #55 on: 01/03/04 at 16:57:57 »
Quote Quote

28kbps / 8 bits in a byte = 3.5KB/s
20,000KB / 3.5KB/s = 5714 seconds
5714s / 60 seconds in a minute = 95 minutes
IP Logged

Anything i post on here is subject to change at any time without notification to the board.
Issy
USA 

I am Alpha and Omega; the first and the last

67662135 67662135   Isaiah213   Issyfur
View Profile

« Reply #56 on: 01/03/04 at 16:59:59 »
Quote Quote

i was about to edit it.

Thanks JLH  Cheesy
IP Logged

And he had in his right hand seven stars: and out of his mouth went a sharp twoedged sword: and his countenance was as the sun shineth in his strength.
Matt
USA 

Abnormaly420
View Profile Email

« Reply #57 on: 01/03/04 at 17:29:15 »
Quote Quote

.NET Framwork is what Joolz makes MetaCheat in  Lips Sealed
IP Logged

"Faith; noun. Belief without evidence in what is told by one who speaks without knowledge, of things without parallel." --- Ambrose Bierce
Fusion
USA 

None   ElDiAbLo142@aol.com
View Profile Email

« Reply #58 on: 01/03/04 at 18:13:49 »
Quote Quote

Could someone please give me an exact link? I don't know which one to download.
IP Logged

Oasis, Imagine, Fusion ingame. And more.
Stigmata
United_Kingdom 

View Profile

« Reply #59 on: 01/03/04 at 18:30:53 »
Quote Quote

First of all, my intentions regarding my original post were not to provoke, antagonise or put down anyone, simply to state the fact that I can recall numerous times when Pandilex has promised to do something, resulting in a higher moral amongst players (in the hope of something else good going into the game) only to disappoint them.

If you have an idea, then great, share it with us........but please don't post that it's going to happen when really you are not sure. Inquisitor's tower is a prime example of how you did this very thing........challenging the game to seek out the tower's treasure, promising us that you were in the process of building it, only to never speak of it again. The problem I see isn't the fact that you couldn't complete the area, it's that you didn't inform any players that it wasn't going to be built......who were infact waiting for it's release.

90% of the ideas for the game seems to be a tad far fetched for me....perhaps 90% of the ideas going into the game are finalised by yourself, but i'd put money on atleast a few of them are being borrowed from somewhere or someone else.  

As for outside developments, again, it's just the fact that you promise something only to never speak of it again......I can't recall how many release dates you put forward for OS only to disappoint...........a simple message would have been good enough to inform us that it would infact not be happening.

A post like mine?

I'm one of the rare few who actually care for the good of the game - I may have a different approach to posting than most people, but that's just the way it is......

Do not try and catagorise me with some of the other idiots on the boards (I know what you are talking about, and I also know what it's like to be on the receiving end). Just because I speak words that may seem controversial doesn't mean that I am selfishly trying to complain about the lack of good in the game, instead I am trying to raise points about how the game can be improved.  

I admit I was sarcastic in my first post, for which the only excuse would be anger. I'm not going to take back what I said but I would now prefer to have said it differently (hopefully cleared up by this post) after recalling on past experiences.

In short what i'm trying to say is, 'if you have an idea, and you post about it, and that idea falls through......let people know!'

Oracle - I understand mostly everything there is to understand (nightmist), and what I said, although harsh, needed to be said in hope that the players as a whole won't be disappointed.
As for game development dragging on - I had ideas when I was staff that would have made area designing so much easier (hence why I worked with Al, instead of alone) but didn't get the time to share them.

And of course real life issues should take priority, which I am not blaming pandilex for, simply trying to inform him that letting people know what's going on with idea's he's promised will always be the best policy.

Smiley
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Nightmist Online Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB ゥ 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.