Nightmist Online Forum - http://www.nightmist-online.co.uk
« Nightmist Online Forum - 'Threatening Behavior' »
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
06/16/24 at 00:39:21

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register

Nightmist Online Forum
   Nightmist Online - Please read the terms of use before posting here
   Discussion Forum
(Moderators: Stotic, JLH, Judge Dredd, Pandilex)
   'Threatening Behavior'
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: 'Threatening Behavior'  (Read 1418 times)
the Kiheitai

We're headstrong to take on anyone

weaselking123   weaselking123
View Profile Email

'Threatening Behavior'
« on: 03/21/03 at 02:45:05 »
Quote Quote

What exactly is considered 'threatening behavior towards other players'? To me, a game based on player vs. player there is unlimited threatening behavior. You can say that a look over is threatening, you are sizing up your oponnent. How do you legitimize banning a player for a WEEK for threatening behavior?! It seems that there is a little bit of biase towards certain players...I think thats a rediculous reason to week ban crits. Unless you can give specific reason that a threat goes above and beyond role-playing talk. Remember, its a game and the game is based on player hostility. Threatening Behavior? I don't know......
IP Logged

the Kiheitai: proud members of DRACO HONORIS...Represent
Oblivion

Psychedelic

View Profile

Re: 'Threatening Behavior'
« Reply #1 on: 03/21/03 at 02:47:22 »
Quote Quote

haha, you can get ban for threatening..  
How lame, that to an extent can take out yet again more Roleplaying, for those who RP.

Besides, if someones afriad of someone online, who so happen to threaten them, they don't need to play..

IP Logged

And so in the sky shines the electric eye supernatural king takes earth under his wing Heaven's golden chorus sings, Hells angels flap their wings Evil Souls fall to Hell ever trapped in burning cells
the Kiheitai

We're headstrong to take on anyone

weaselking123   weaselking123
View Profile Email

« Reply #2 on: 03/21/03 at 02:51:00 »
Quote Quote

Exactly, what happened to the RPing part of the game? So you can't take up a cause and defend it...You better start banning every person who pks...I  think that is pretty threatening.....
IP Logged

the Kiheitai: proud members of DRACO HONORIS...Represent
Disjunction

View Profile Email

« Reply #3 on: 03/21/03 at 03:07:28 »
Quote Quote

Yes Julius what did happen to the RPing part of the game in which a certain person needed to threaten someone in a out of game scenario. Personally I wouldn't care if i got threatened but maybe the person that got threatened did care. A online threat is considered a crime by the eyes of the law so don't complain that your little friend got banned in game for a week.
IP Logged
alone

My beautiful escape. Fall from pain. My suicide.

View Profile Email

« Reply #4 on: 03/21/03 at 11:47:12 »
Quote Quote

We're talking about Phileo, right? I asked for an example of what he had said, and i can kind of understand why he was banned. It wasn't treatening someone in game, it was a threat made via the game about real life.. Which should (and was) taken very seriously.
IP Logged

Tanis

Camp Kill Yourself

NM+Tanis
View Profile

« Reply #5 on: 03/21/03 at 13:35:33 »
Quote Quote

If you'd really like to know Julius, this is why.
[Clan] Galapagos: Phileo Pages You from (Hidden): I HAVE FAR MORE POWER THAN YOU THINK...POWER TO HURT YOU IN WAYS OUTSIDE OF THE GAME, AND I'M MAD ENOUGH TO DO THAT.

When you have to resort to out-of-game threatening, that's just pathetic.
IP Logged

You know what makes me happy?
The things that make you sad.
Jurian
Netherlands 

Lillium inter spinas, The lilly among thorns

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #6 on: 03/21/03 at 13:41:23 »
Quote Quote

hmm i guess some ppl find something like that more offensive then others. i wouldn't pay attention to it at all. it's just some text on a computer screen if you ask me.
IP Logged

I dream about how it's going to end,
Approaching me quickly.
Leaving a life of fear,
I only want my mind to be clear.
Necros

Email

« Reply #7 on: 03/21/03 at 14:38:17 »
Quote Quote

Yes and text on a computer screen can get people in-to trouble, I mean...10 year old girls get murdered because of 'text on a screen'.
IP Logged
Jurian
Netherlands 

Lillium inter spinas, The lilly among thorns

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #8 on: 03/21/03 at 14:53:57 »
Quote Quote

hmm maybe he internet should get a warning on it like cigarets Cheesy

"use of the internet is bad for your health and can be deadly" Tongue
IP Logged

I dream about how it's going to end,
Approaching me quickly.
Leaving a life of fear,
I only want my mind to be clear.
Bishop
USA 

Draco Honoris - Fighting for Honor and Goodness

View Profile Email

« Reply #9 on: 03/21/03 at 15:01:08 »
Quote Quote

I highly doubt the person this page was sent to took it in any way as something to fear.  As I told JLH, people get mad and threaten others (yes, even outside of the game) all the time in NM.  This particular incident has roots that stem from paging abuse over months and months.  The only reason so much attention was brought to it is because the opposition to Phileo has influence and are using it to 'make him pay'.  He'd never been banned before, and regularly plays the game in a peaceful manner.

It's total bs - a dayban or character ban would have been more than sufficient.

There is little hope for fair treatment in NM if staff members choose to allow their personal view to affect their job as staff.  We all know some staff use their position to further their norm's status, personal aspirations, and personal amusement.  It's sadly obvious.  And, I'm particularly sad to see it happen to a game that has so much potential.

Good thing there are other games; though I'm still hoping it's not necessary to go look for a good one.
IP Logged

"What you fear in the night in the day comes to call anyway."
Insomnia
Sweden 

View Profile

« Reply #10 on: 03/21/03 at 15:57:12 »
Quote Quote

Bishop, stop defending your clannies all the time regardless of what they have done. I'm tired of it.

We all know that if I would have said something like that to another player when you ahd Cyric, you would have banned me (probably even with a big smile on your face).

I don't know how this person felt when he got those pages, but some of us does take offense when people are b|tching at them about outside game things, and therefor it shouldn't be allowed.
IP Logged

Fair enough.
Valentine

Welcome to  the  human race.

hillarydavis2000
View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #11 on: 03/21/03 at 15:58:05 »
Quote Quote

Hmm..like bashing someone for having a child at the tender age of 17?

I'm just saying....
IP Logged

"Nobody controls his own life, Ender. The best you can do is choose to be controlled by good people, by people who love you." Ender's Game
Some of us are more human than others.
Bishop
USA 

Draco Honoris - Fighting for Honor and Goodness

View Profile Email

« Reply #12 on: 03/21/03 at 16:44:21 »
Quote Quote

When I had Cyric, the only punishment I ever felt needed more than a dayban was modifying stats for a period of time, and that was only if abuse was regular (at least 3 instances within a few months).

I'm tired of everyone acting so innocent - I'm sure if the logs were read thoroughly, several dozen people would be suffering a week comp ban right now.  I'm monitored talk on the game probably more than anyone, and heated insults are as common as the sun rising.  It's always said in haste and never means a thing.

I'm not even saying what was done didn't deserve some discipline, but a week comp ban - that's excessive, and I have no doubt that personal influences are involved having nothing to do with any threats.

I don't expect anything to be done - JLH has given Pan full authority to do whatever he wants, and based on past events, we all know Pan will do as he likes whether it's fair or not, just or not, reasonable or not, or even personal or not.  Such is how things are done in NM dispite what anyone else thinks.

Say what you like - it won't matter, be it insult to me or words of wisdom.
IP Logged

"What you fear in the night in the day comes to call anyway."
alone

My beautiful escape. Fall from pain. My suicide.

View Profile Email

« Reply #13 on: 03/21/03 at 17:17:33 »
Quote Quote

Talking of unfair punishments (Yes, it was along time ago now).
I yelled a string of 5 swear words. And for that, had my highest lvl crit deleted and a month ban. Now for the first time i had ever broken the rules. Isn't that abit harsh??

But i didn't cry about it. I didn't even know how long i was banned for till i updated my OS and managed to get back on before the month was up.

Sorry to have gone off subject.
IP Logged

Insomnia
Sweden 

View Profile

« Reply #14 on: 03/21/03 at 20:23:31 »
Quote Quote

on 03/21/03 at 16:44:21, Bishop wrote:

I'm tired of everyone acting so innocent - I'm sure if the logs were read thoroughly, several dozen people would be suffering a week comp ban right now.  I'm monitored talk on the game probably more than anyone, and heated insults are as common as the sun rising.  It's always said in haste and never means a thing.

I'm not even saying what was done didn't deserve some discipline, but a week comp ban - that's excessive, and I have no doubt that personal influences are involved having nothing to do with any threats.

I've never threatened anyone IRL through this game, and only thing I've been banned for was yelling "masturbate?" as an answer to one of your trivia questions.

Insults aren't always said in haste. Sometimes people just start going off on you while sitting at gates, and sometimes people keep going on for hours telling you that something bad is going to happen with your family, just because you killed/attacked them.  

If you can't behave yourself while playing a game, then you should definately not play.
IP Logged

Fair enough.
Lastel
USA 

You *turnip*bite!

View Profile Email

« Reply #15 on: 03/22/03 at 02:39:13 »
Quote Quote

Can anyone tell me when Phileo has ever been in trouble before? The only times he ever gets "punished" is for things dealing with The Resistance. Hmm...wait a second, both Pandilex and Galapagos are in The Resistance. Now I am not saying that The Resistance is a bad clan, its just odd, that the most outspoken TR "hater" is week banned over a petty little thing that many people do. God forbid someone gets angry and says something a little too quickly...

But whatever, Pandilex is NM god (Dictator?) and nothing can be done to him by players...or anyone else for that matter...
IP Logged

"As I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil..."
Amy
USA 

With each choice comes consequences

Amyofdraco
View Profile Email

« Reply #16 on: 03/22/03 at 03:28:42 »
Quote Quote

(OOC Comments)

This was some time ago when it all went down. Phileo is a great guy and has more honor is his little finger then most I know on here. Thing is, he can be threatened and belittled out of game by the same people that got him banned and everyone looks the other way. Not only did this happen MONTHS ago but weeks ago.  Rarely a day goes by that he is not harrassed out of game or in game by these people.  It happens more often then you can even imagine. I should know, am his training partner and consort.  I was going to stay silent about all this knowing that in some way it will only make it worse, but, I must place my thoughts here.

Funny, it is okay to be "evil". But when you fight for "good" it is considered harrassment.  Even in a roleplaying environment.
He never wished anyone any harm out of game if you just talked to him. In Fact, I know several players AND staff that came to him often with their problems in real life and he would take time to listen and help in anyway he could.  Granted, out of game comments should never be spoken or tossed around.  I do not condone that at all. But, I know exactly what drove him to it and I know that his profession as well as many other things were belittled by these very people.  

I think the true problem is that even when following every rule and playing the game as it was meant to be played, they couldn't beat him and took it out on him the only way they could.  Granted, they could and do at times PK us, when they can't keep us down or figure out how to harrass us with the outcome they want they had to figure out another way to do it.

Regardless, what is done is done.  I really wish I had saved the comments both in game and out of game I have gotten as well as the numerous cuss out sessions played out by TR members right in front of people that are staff but were so easily overlooked at times and joined in at other times. But see, I know it is a game and to me, getting someone banned just really isn't part of the game.  I will defeat my enemies (In game enemies for those that aren't clear on it) in game ... OUt of game, I wish everyone the best and hold no ill feelings.  Although I have little respect for those that use the rules only when they are convenient and throw them to the side when it benefits them.

Hope this week goes by fast! I miss him!
IP Logged

Each path we have chosen led us to where we are. Each path we choose in the future will determine our destiny.
Tender_Foot

Email

« Reply #17 on: 03/22/03 at 04:12:39 »
Quote Quote

yeah, ive actually told pandilex of 2 staff members who ignored tr members who cussed infront of them (and one of the staff even right after, banned someone else for cussing). I thought this was somewhat solved when Zephie helped me get ahold of pandilex, and i personally havent seen it happen since.
IP Logged
Zephie
Nightmist Game Staff
USA 

Kalypso in game.

View Profile

« Reply #18 on: 03/22/03 at 04:34:54 »
Quote Quote

Amy, this event did not take place months ago. This took place 3-14-2003, why do you keep on saying it was months ago? Maybe this is the second time that it's happend????? When real life threats are made something is to be done, no matter what clan the player is in.  /who Veritas for example, this player threatened to hurt another player IRL and action was taken. Anything that is illegal IRL is illegal on nightmist. (This should go without saying, I'm not exactly sure why you are trying to justify someone saying they are going to hurt a player out of game because they pked them in game) Cyber threats are taken very seriously, on Nightmist and off. (Real life authoritys could get involved when cyber threats take place.)

Tender- If Pandilex didn't resolve the issue go to JLH, please. I'm not exactly sure why nothing was done, but this is why there are 3 admins in game. If you do not feel comfortable dealing with one there are others to choose from.  

As for the punishment being a bit harsh (Btw, Bishop I am glad that you understand that he did in fact need to be disciplined for what he did) Other people who have done the same as him have gotten banned for a week as well. And it clearly states when you logon.

As this is a game for all ages you may have your computer banned for up to a week unless you keep all chat clean.

Threatning players != keeping chat clan.
IP Logged

"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds" - Albert Einstein
Sera
USA 

Herself in the Heavens, Her beam on the waves..EAP

View Profile

« Reply #19 on: 03/22/03 at 04:48:38 »
Quote Quote

I know just recently I had a NM player threaten to kill me IRL. She stated "I have a gun right here" and that she has "killed 2 people" with this gun.

I even copied/pasted this in clan chat...and also I belive I memoed it to a staff member....

I will say that when I made her aware that what she was doing is an offense punishable by law she stated she didn't care and didn't page me any longer.

The whole situation bothers me for one reason...if I was considerably younger *as a lot of the players on this game are* threats such as this may have been more frightening. Either way, it wasn't right...and any threats to hurt anyone IRL need to be taken seriously and that person needs to be punished. Maybe then they will realize that what they did was wrong.
IP Logged

I won't go.. I won't sleep... I can't breathe, until you're resting here with me... I won't leave...I can't hide...I cannot be, until you're resting here with me...
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Nightmist Online Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.